Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #1

2017 Phaeton can I make the 2 front A/C's work as 1?

my phaeton has 2 front ac units that have separate thermostats which are both next to each other i dont understand how they can read such different temperatures for example this weekend it was about 80 degrees outside and 1 thermostat read 71 degrees and the other 1 read 43 degrees so only 1 unit was on there is no way its even possible that it was 43 degrees anywhere in my rv but even usually they are always reading very different temps which means i always only have 1 on is there a way i can make them work on 1 thermostat?
APlusParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You probably have some corrosion where the thermistor wires connect to the wires leading to the thermostat (or Spider controller) on the one that reads 43. Pull the wires out of the nearest AC vent, wiggle them around and see if it reads properly. If so you may need to remake the connections (solder).
Hojo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojo2000 View Post
You probably have some corrosion where the thermistor wires connect to the wires leading to the thermostat (or Spider controller) on the one that reads 43. Pull the wires out of the nearest AC vent, wiggle them around and see if it reads properly. If so you may need to remake the connections (solder).

to help me understand how this works do you have 2 next to each other like i do and do yours always read at least very close to the same temp? since i got this RV last august mine has always been like this i just assumed it was normal?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could overload 1 Thermostat controlling 2 control boards. Try it.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably a bad thermostat. Swap the two and see if the problem moves? I doubt if One 'stat can control both.

Ken
Old 07-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Probably a bad thermostat. Swap the two and see if the problem moves? I doubt if One 'stat can control both.

Ken

sounds like a simple place to start thanks for the idea
Old 07-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #7

I think your biggest difficulty may come when both fans come on together. If that is successful, then the next big test will be two compressors trying to powerup at the same time since they're being controlled by one thermostat.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlusParts View Post
my phaeton has 2 front ac units that have separate thermostats which are both next to each other i dont understand how they can read such different temperatures for example this weekend it was about 80 degrees outside and 1 thermostat read 71 degrees and the other 1 read 43 degrees so only 1 unit was on there is no way its even possible that it was 43 degrees anywhere in my rv but even usually they are always reading very different temps which means i always only have 1 on is there a way i can make them work on 1 thermostat?
Putting them together is not a good idea. Search out the problem for the unit showing unusual temps.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Combining the two thermostats will not work and might possibly destroy the A/C controller board in the roof unit. The solution has already been mentioned as I've had this happen before. Go to the intake vent nearest the faulty reading sensor. Remove the grill, reach inside and locate the sensor wires. Use a pair of pliers and re-crimp the connectors. Best solution is to solder the wires together to eliminate any future problems. If you can't reach the connectors through the vent, remove the sensor from the ceiling and pull the wires out far enough to reach the connections.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #10

i was worried about them powering up at the same time myself i figured it would be to much power draw im going to try the things that were said to me this weekend thank you everyone for your help
Old 08-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Suggestion

If you think thr thermostst is bad, get a handheld industrial thermometer and chesk the supply air temp at a registrr outlet to compare somewhst whith your display on your readout of your AC wall thermometer.
Over many years, i have alwsys found it to be best if you temporarly or permantly mount one or more thermomenters then adjust your AC thermostst setpoint up or diwn to get a reasonable comfortable temp that suits you, and do not look or be conserned with AC temp display. Leaving the thermostat set st one position, is usually your best option assuming you do not have extrene hot and cold body flasheds, if you fo, nothing is ever going to be suitable. 2 watches, 2 different time displayed, same for thermostats controlling 2 rooms or more.
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #12

DON'T DO ANYTHING. YOU DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM. Look at your ceiling near the intakes on the driver's side. Next to one near the front, there is a small, one inch, diamond shaped piece of plastic with two little slots in it. There is another next to an intake near midship and another in the rear bath (if you have at third AC)

Those little devices are the temperature sensors for each of the thermostats you have next to each other. They get their information from the assigned from sensor. The fact that they are next to each other is meaningless. The temp they show is from the assigned sensor. The top one is probably for the front and the lower from midship. Set each one for the desired temperature of each zone. The sensor measures the temperature of the air entering the intake at each zone. Hope this helps.....
Airtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #13

thank you everyone but its starting to get a little much for me im dropping it off at my rv guy this weekend i will direct him to this thread
Old 08-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #14

Thermostats probably work off remote temperature sensors.
dhobson845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton