Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP passenger side light switch not working

After moving the coach this morning, the passenger side light switch panel (also with the TV lift and living room shades controls) is no longer working: the panel is not lit up (while the others are), and the buttons don't do anything.

Using the master control panel in the bedroom, I can turn on and off the lights, but the passenger side shades (day and night) don't work either.

The other power on the slide is working fine (phew), just that switch and the shades.

I can't find any breakers that have popped, but perhaps I've missed something. Any suggestions?
Blog: sinclairtrails.com
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If another panel makes those lights and features work, it is most likely not an issue with the wiring. More than likely the small panel itself is not making good connection, or the Spyder system itself may need rebooted.

First try pulling the small panel off of the wall and check that all of the pins are making connection in the plug. If that doesn't try the following reset procedure for the Spyder panel.

Spyder Control Panel Reset

In the event of a Control panel problem, reset the panel as follows.

1) Turn off 12 volt switch at entry door.
2) Go outside and turn off 12 volt disconnect switch in battery bay
3) Turn off chassis battery disconnect switch.
4) Next to each disconnect switch is a 5 amp fuse. Pull each 5 amp fuse and let system set for 10 minutes. Then reinsert the 5 amp fuses.
5) Turn on each battery disconnect switch.
6) Come inside and turn on 12 volt switch by the door.

System will reset itself and any error code or problem with the Sypder panel should be cleared.

If the above doesn't work, than the small panel itself may have a failure and the buttons are not responding. It doesn't happen much, but it does happen.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for the suggestions.

Re the switch panel, I tried pulling the cover off, but didn’t see any pins; did you mean to unscrew the panel from the wall?

I also tried the reset procedure you outlined. I didn’t see 5 amp fuses by the disconnect switches, so didn’t do that part. But all the power was off for 10 minutes, and after switching it back on, no change.

It may be a faulty panel. Though the power shades on the passenger side are also affected; when I do the shade master via the main hallway panel, only the driver side goes down or up. Whereas the main panel can control the lights on the passenger side. So the shades being affected makes me think it might be more than just the panel?

(As you can imagine, the shades not working is particularly vexing.)

Is there another breaker or fuse panel, other than the one in the closet, and the one at the front of the driver side? I can’t find a fuse for the shades.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the covers pop off the panels and the LCD controls are screwed onto the wall board.

I sent an email for some other info.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Driver's side problem

I had a similar problem, but on the driver's side. I found the wire bundle running from under the coach to the side (accessed from outside under the slide) was bent and the wire insulation was being cut by the metal. Even though the the panel was dark, it had a blinking red light (barely visible).

I just wiggled the wires and everything started working again.

Hope this helps.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks. There's a large rectangular conduit-like enclosure under the slide, presumably containing the wires. I don't want to try to open it, though, since my fridge and other essentials are on that slide.

I have a televator, so tried looking under that to see if anything seemed amiss there, but that just seems to be TV-related stuff, unsurprisingly.

I can't find any mobile RV repair place with availability for weeks, so we'll probably just live with it until we can get someone to look at it. (We got tension rods and curtains as a workaround for the lack of functioning shades.)
Old 10-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had a nice long chat with Spyder tech support. I'm impressed how helpful they are. We did the power reset again (with no change), and tried swapping control panels around, which confirmed that the passenger-side living room panel itself works fine, but its network cable doesn't. He thought the plug might be bad.

On the shades issue, where the passenger-side living room shades don't work, while the driver-side ones do, even swapping the panel locations didn't fix that. He wasn't sure where the shade modules are located, so we didn't investigate further.

Does anyone know where the shade modules are?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Answering myself: found the shade module in the passenger-side overhead cabinet next to the fridge. It has a green blinking light. I guess that's good?
Old 10-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a 2017 40 SP before buying our 2020 45OPP. You could try unplugging the switch and swapping temporally with one that is working. ( just don't let the wire slip down inside the wall. That way you could rule out if it's the switch or the wiring.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyLadd View Post
We had a 2017 40 SP before buying our 2020 45OPP. You could try unplugging the switch and swapping temporally with one that is working. ( just don't let the wire slip down inside the wall. That way you could rule out if it's the switch or the wiring.
A good suggestion. The Spyder support guy had me do that; I confirmed that the panel itself does still work. So the issue seems to be the wiring. He thought it might be the pigtail plug, which apparently can fail randomly. Though I'm dubious, since both the switch's plug and the shades' plug failing at the same time seems unlikely. I suspect one cause for both, though I'm not sure what that might be.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at that Spyder pin out file that I sent you. The connectors on the back of that panel tie everything together and send the messages to the Spyder panel.

I had a situation where a light unexpectedly quit working. Don Boyd at Tiffin had me remove the panel and check the connectors in the back as the individual pins can wiggle themselves loose and lose the connection.

I found the loose pin and reinserted it and the problem was solved.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
A common problem with the switch panels is a loosely crimped connector. Pull that panel off the wall and re-crimp the two connectors by squeezing them with a pair of pliers. A lot of times that will clear things up.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I just had the same thing happen. I contacted Spyder and the tech had me remove the control panel that was not working and plug it in at the bedroom location. Wall control panel was good because I could operate the lights and the TV lift while the wall control panel was plugged in at the bedroom location. He said that it could be the wire harness that plugs into the control panel and gave me the part numbers - 5066157 for the Male connector (connector on the wire coming out of the wall) and 5066158 for the Female Connector (connector on the back of the wall control panel).

He further informed me that the wires on the male end are just inserted (with sheathing not stripped back) in the bottom portion of the connector. The top of the connector is then placed on top and when both pieces are compressed and snapped together, the wires make connection with the contact points. He said that sometimes the wires lose the connection inside of the plug with the contacts. He told me to get a pair of pliers or channel locks, and crimp down hard on that connection. He said not to worry about how hard I was crimping down as he had never seen anyone crack or break that connector by doing that. After I did that, all worked fine. No need to order the new parts but felt it might be worth a try.

After taking out the screws that hold the wall control panel to the wall, unplug the wall control panel from the wire coming out of the wall. Be careful that you don't let the wire fall back into the wall because that is a difficult fix if it does. After disconnected, grab your pliers or channel locks and crimp down on the male end of the connector (on the wire coming out of the wall).
Old 10-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
A common problem with the switch panels is a loosely crimped connector. Pull that panel off the wall and re-crimp the two connectors by squeezing them with a pair of pliers. A lot of times that will clear things up.
The Spyder tech support guy had me try that. Didn't help. He suggested ordering replacement connectors from Tiffin, which I did, though I'm dubious that is the cause (two at once seems improbable).

Tags
allegro, allegro bus, light, switch, tiffin