Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2020, 09:05 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to bbranlund
2018 34PA Open Road Hydraulic line failure

On our way back to OR from AZ and stopped in Beatty NV, Went to extend the DS slide, and heard a pop, and lost a hydraulic line that leaked all over the basement. Trying to get the slide in so I can continue home to get it fixed.
Any suggestions on manual retraction. Opened the switch and 5 guys tried to
push it in to no avail. Thanks! BBranlund
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a Driver's side rear slide issue with it extended and needed to manually stow it as well. I know this is electric vs. hydraulic, but the point is it took a lot more people than I figured to get it moving. Especially since your hydraulic slide has to travel up that little incline before moving to it's full stowed position, I think you'll need more than 5 people. Just rereview your manual stow procedure to be sure you've got it completely right, then get as many people on it as will fit and try to stow it. I hope you have good luck. Last resort, give Tiffin a call.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To be sure you have them, attached are the HWH manuals I have related to the hydraulic system. I attached the manual re the jacks for the discussion of using the manual capabilities. Hopefully you're already way past this and are on your way.

Also, here is a link to HWH technical data from the Tiffin Network forum that might be good source data for you: https://www.hwhcorp.com/tiffindiagrams3.html
Old 04-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Something similar happened to me however it was the synchronizing cylinder that blew. I did try the manual route but was fortunate to be able to leave it parked while Tiffin sent me a replacement and I gathered the tools. All fixed now however, I now carry two come-alongs and the proper tools to disconnect the cylinder brackets so that if it happens again (with either the hydraulic or electric slide) I can retract either by myself or with little assistance.

Yes, quite a mess when you get a hydraulic blowout. And that was when shop towels were plentiful!

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbranlund View Post
On our way back to OR from AZ and stopped in Beatty NV, Went to extend the DS slide, and heard a pop, and lost a hydraulic line that leaked all over the basement. Trying to get the slide in so I can continue home to get it fixed.
Any suggestions on manual retraction. Opened the switch and 5 guys tried to
push it in to no avail. Thanks! BBranlund
This must be Brian from High Desert Allegros, I bet. Here is a Tiffin video on how to retract slides:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/videos/...draulic-slides

Hope this helps and you get home safely.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
This must be Brian from High Desert Allegros, I bet. Here is a Tiffin video on how to retract slides:

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/videos/...draulic-slides

Hope this helps and you get home safely.
OP said he experienced a ruptured hydraulic hose, preventing retraction of the slide. My take on that is that the hydraulic supply to the ram for retracting the slide is in-op. If he can't manually push it back in, I'd think the next step would have to be to get a mobile tech out to him to repair/replace the ruptured section of hose.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

Took it to my Coach Masters in Bend. They said the "Ram" blew a seal in the rear where
it stopped. I heard a "pop". Now checking with HWH. Thanks, Bruce
Old 04-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #8

Actually it is Bruce. But yes with COHDA. Drove it home from NV with a foot hanging out, and dropped it at Coach Masters, authorized Tiffin warranty center. Waiting to hear back from HWH. 2018 34PA has 12,000 miles. Just went out of warranty. Said it wasn't a blown hose but blown seal on the rear ram. Doesn' sound good. Not sure how hard to repair. Maybe calling Bob Tiffin tomorrow.����
Old 04-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #9

Thanks Mike, shop says it is not a ruptured line, but a blown seal on the ram. They have never seen this happen before and are waiting for a response from HWH. Should not happen in the first 18 months and 12K miles��
Old 04-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #10

Glad you made it back home oK Bruce. Not a great way to have to end your trip. Ideally, between Tiffin and HWH a fix can be made that won't have to be paid for by you.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #11

Congrats on getting it to a shop! Have the tech check the bearing pads for the slide rails for cracks or failures. This happened to mine (2018) when the sync cylinder failed and has happened to others due to overspray of sealant on the bottom of the slide rails. Tiffin knows this to be a problem.

Also, check to see if you have cargo that may be getting wedged under the cylinder or that may be bouncing up and hitting it causing a side force. They are not supported in the center.

My synchronizing cylinder failed at 18 months...Tiffin sent new cylinder and slide rail pads overnight free of charge. I replaced the cylinder myself and got it working but took to the shop to replace the pads and complete the air bleed process on the cylinders. Tiffin paid for most of the labor on that as well.

HWH was great as well. A little hard to get through to but they were genuinely interested in the failure and sent proper bleeding procedures and provided suggestions over the phone.

Good luck!

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbranlund View Post
Actually it is Bruce. But yes with COHDA. Drove it home from NV with a foot hanging out, and dropped it at Coach Masters, authorized Tiffin warranty center. Waiting to hear back from HWH. 2018 34PA has 12,000 miles. Just went out of warranty. Said it wasn't a blown hose but blown seal on the rear ram. Doesn' sound good. Not sure how hard to repair. Maybe calling Bob Tiffin tomorrow.����
Glad you got it home. Must have been a little unnerving with the slide hanging out like that as you drove! Was that the point at which you heard the "pop", or were you able to push the slide back in a bit to that point? Just curious.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #13

Thanks Paul, sounds like the exact same problem. I will get this info to the shop. Tiffin has been supportive, still can't get through to HWH but will keep trying. Safe travels.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #14

Mike, the Pop happened at our first stop on the way home when I started extending the main kitchen slide. The rear ram stopped, and the front kept extending. Tiffin slide department diagnosed the problem on the phone and advised no problem continuing to drive to a shop. Bruce

Tags
hydraulic