Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

2018 36LA Spyder Upgrade

I upgraded my Spyder control panel with the new version. Much better, no more fumbling for the clicky switches in dim light. Also, back light auto off with touch turn-on feature is nice. $349 from Spyder.

Took about 15 minutes to do the surface mount option. Wasn't happy with proximity to closed slide so I spent another 20 minutes on the recessed option. Used a jig saw and a drill.

Before and after pics attached.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bef 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	329487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	329488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	329489  
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Very nice. I upgraded my '17 Phaeton last year and it was one of the best moves I've made. It's so much better than the monochrome LCD. Now you might contact Spyder to see if the upgrade will accept SeeLevel readings.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I really like that. I have a 2018 Open Road 32SA. Do you know if this new version will work in it?
Also, I not very mechanically inclined, but can follow directions and perform some functions. To install it, do you just take it off the wall and unplug the old system and plug in the new? I have never seen behind my unit so don't know what to expect.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #4

The kit is for 2018 Open Road (there are other years available too) and during the screen set up you choose your floor plan.

The upgrade kit is here:

https://store.spydercontrols.com/

Instructions are clear and installation is simple. Behind my existing unit was the wall paneling with a hole drilled in it for the Spyder cable. You have surface mount or recessed option. Surface is the simplest, you remove the existing control, unplug the cable, mount the new frame on the wall per the instructions, plug the cable in and snap the new panel in place. When you power up, the set up screen appears and you choose your floor plan. You can also go to settings and choose the floor plan. Thatís it. There are other settings options also,...panel display, etc., in Settings.

For me surface was fine but a little close to the closed slide. To recesses mount you have to cut away a portion of the paneling which has a plywood backer on it at that location. A template is provided. A scroll saw and a drill was all I needed. There was a horizontal wood brace behind the opening but it easily clears the control panel.

You may not have that issue in your floor plan however, you may be able to adjust it on the wall laterally a little to provide more clearance for the slide facia.

I shut off power to the Spyder system by switching off the house batteries while changing out.

Paul
Old 05-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
StarRvGazer, Thanks very much. Just about the clearest instructions I've ever received. I will check it out.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:33 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2016 Open Road 32SA does not have the Spyder system. What model year did they include it on the Open Road series?
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #7

To clarify, I just checked the website, the 'other years' are Phaeton and Bus. I only see 2018 upgrades for Open Road.

Paul
Old 06-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #8

Does the upgraded panel provide any additional functions? My current control panel has a couple of screens where the buttons are finicky where they need to be pushed to operate - like the "home" button and the "lights" button. It sounds like the upgrade should help that.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

No new functionality that I have found yet other than the fact that the screen goes dark automatically after a time and re-illuminates when you touch it. Nice feature. No more push buttons that sometimes don't work.....everything is arranged on the touch-screen.

Paul

Tags
upgrade