Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2018 Phaeton 40IH Removal of Carpeted access panel in closet

Hello All,

I am finding a small amount of water entering my farthest rear driver side lower compartment area. I have thoroughly removed all the water from the bay and started trying to see where the water is coming from. This compartment is under the aft bathroom. We have taken a few showers and no water, I have tested the toilet (which has a macerator pump) and no water. So I am down to the washer that is located in the bathroom by the closet on the passenger side. I see that the plumbing is routed behind the carpeted access panel (looks like a carpeted step) in the rear of the closet (see the picture). Does anyone know how to remove this panel? Before I rip into something and cause a bunch of damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_225002.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	250032  
BoeingSWTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those panels are usually added after the plumbing is in. They usually use a gun to staple them in place. The staples often go through the carpet and the carpet fibers cover them. If that is the case you can hunt the staples down and pull them with small pliers and a small screwdriver. Sometimes a magnet helps find them.You can then use a small "cats-paw" to get behind and ease the panel out. If there is wall covering or wood where you pry then use a plastic scraper behind the cats paw to prevent damage.

If the carpet went on after the fasteners then gently and carefully peel the carpet back to find the fasteners and remove them. Put the carpet back with carpet glue after.

Be as sure as you can before removing the panel. If it happens when driving water can be thrown up and scooped up into gaps forward of the wet area. It can also work it's way down from a window seam or roof joint.

Good hunting!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If it's happening when driving in the rain, it's a known issue with the IH models. The rubber flap gasket does not seal tight some times and allows water to be thrown up and in by the rear wheel. I have battled this with our electric bay and PS compartment since new. Just for info, the compartment should be a sealed box and "shouldn't" allow water in from the top.

You also have the plumbing behind the rear toilet that will be above the area you are talking about. You can access that by pulling the velcro attached top off of the cabinet behind the toilet.

I have had one hose connection fail under our double sink area that had to be re-crimped.

I've attached a few photos from our build to show what is behind the walls. If you have Aquahot, you won't have the water heater or those lines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plumbing-RearBath.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	250087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing-Washer.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	250088  

Name:	Plumbing-WaterHeater.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	250089  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #4

All covers such as those are usually held down by screws buried in the carpet cover. You need to find them with a thorough feel around the edges of the carpet. Push down hard with your finger tips as the screws are buried level with the particle board under the carpet. The ones I've seen are washer headed screws you need a #2 square drive bit to remove.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
All thanks for all the suggestions and information. I have opened every access panel and have thoroughly checked every inch of water and waste line in the rear bathroom. I have found absolutely zero, zilch, not-a water leaks. I even borescoped under the shower. So the only thing that I can think is that it is water from the heavy storm that we went through 2 weeks ago.

LtDan,

I see that you took pictures of your build. Would you be willing to share all those pictures? We do have aqua hot in our rig, but other then that all the plumbing is exactly the same. Let me know and if not I fully understand. Thanks.
BoeingSWTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
2018 Phaeton 40IH Removal of Carpeted access panel in closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingSWTech View Post
......So the only thing that I can think is that it is water from the heavy storm that we went through 2 weeks ago.......
99.999% sure that's your problem. I've had to change out some of my door seals for something that puts a little more pressure on the door and is not as "floppy" as the stock seal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, panel, phaeton, removal