Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z714X4 View Post
I'll add my $0.02...

Having had both...
You had both the 34PA and 33AA?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
The diesel chassis also allows Tiffin to use heavier building materials inside the coach. That translates into tile floors instead of linoleum, solid surface counters instead of linoleum counters, heavier cabinets ect. Also the diesel chassis will have an engine or exhaust brake, something not found on a gas chassis. This makes driving the mountain passes easier and more relaxing IMHO. Since the diesel is at a higher price point when new, you can also expect more "whistles and bells". Drive them both before you decide. Odds are the diesel chassis will drive a bit better on the highway.

Red has linoleum floors, single pane windows, same countertops as gas, same cabinetry, less storage, no more bells and whistles.
Have to upgrade to Phaeton to get more and then you don’t get the much more desirable side radiator. Gas has tow haul mode which almost eliminates need for braking down steep grades.
Is it really worth $$$ unless you need the extra towing capacity. Ps. One Red only has 5000# tow capacity.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Red has linoleum floors, single pane windows, same countertops as gas, same cabinetry, less storage, no more bells and whistles.
Have to upgrade to Phaeton to get more and then you don’t get the much more desirable side radiator. Gas has tow haul mode which almost eliminates need for braking down steep grades.
Is it really worth $$$ unless you need the extra towing capacity. Ps. One Red only has 5000# tow capacity.

The current Reds have ceramic tile floors, solid surface counter tops, etc. Your info may not be current.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
The current Reds have ceramic tile floors, solid surface counter tops, etc. Your info may not be current.

As an option yes, gas has solid surface counters as well even my 2013 LA.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
You had both the 34PA and 33AA?
Obviously the main discussion is between gas motorhome and diesel motorhome. I've had both and both were in the Tiffin family which is what the OP is asking about.

@JpalmerCass - Have you owned both a gas and diesel motorhome that you can give your personal evaluation for?

@dezolen - All current RED models, as described in their brochure have the Cummins B6.7 and Allison 3000 transmission which makes them all capable of towing 10,000 lbs. All have tile floors, solid countertops, hardwood cabinets and many, many more features that were once only in the Phaeton and beyond line up. They are quite nice for entry level diesels.

While I was happy with the gas unit I'm more pleased with the ride and comfort of the diesel. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one unless you need or want something specific. Pro's and con's to both so get the one you like thta does what you want and be happy.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Obviously the main discussion is between gas motorhome and diesel motorhome. I've had both and both were in the Tiffin family which is what the OP is asking about.
No, that's not obvious. So, I take it you haven't owned both the coaches in question, as you implied.

I haven't either, which is why I kept my comments to the objective points of floorplan and wheelbase.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
No, that's not obvious.

Um, if you read all the posts on this thread then it becomes very obvious that a majority of people are politely discussing this very topic. In a nut shell OP is trying to decide between a gas unit and a diesel unit in the Tiffin line. Folks are giving their honest opinions and I gave mine from the standpoint of owning both a gas and diesel coach from the Tiffin line. Sorry you didn't understand the whole conversation.

I will not be reading or responding on this thread any further. I wish you and the OP well.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:

@JpalmerCass - Have you owned both a gas and diesel motorhome that you can give your personal evaluation for?

@dezolen - All current RED models, as described in their brochure have the Cummins B6.7 and Allison 3000 transmission which makes them all capable of towing 10,000 lbs. All have tile floors, solid countertops, hardwood cabinets and many, many more features that were once only in the Phaeton and beyond line up. They are quite nice for entry level diesels.

While I was happy with the gas unit I'm more pleased with the ride and comfort of the diesel. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one unless you need or want something specific. Pro's and con's to both so get the one you like thta does what you want and be happy.

Perhaps you better look at Tiffins’ website a little closer with an open mind. The Red 340 can only tow 5000# and has vinyl floors as std so not all Reds are the same. Reds were much more similar to the gas coaches in all features other than Diesel engine in rear and less outside storage. Op might be looking at used rather than new.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Perhaps you better look at Tiffins’ website a little closer with an open mind. The Red 340 can only tow 5000# and has vinyl floors as std so not all Reds are the same. Reds were much more similar to the gas coaches in all features other than Diesel engine in rear and less outside storage. Op might be looking at used rather than new.

Note the the OP was considering a RED 33AA. That coach is not a RED340 and does have the 360 Cummins, Allison 3000, 10,000lb tow, ceramic tile floors, etc.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I have owned a 43 foot Newmar Ventana with a 380 hp diesel engine and two smaller gas motorhomes. One was a 30 foot Newmar and my current motorhome which is a 2020 Tiffin Open Road 32sa. While I agree the diesel was much quieter than either of my gas motorhomes it didn't handle the mountains better than either gas motorhome. In fact either of my gas motorhomes would leave the 43 foot diesel in the dust climbing mountains. This may have been the Ventana was under powered with only 380 hp.

Brand new the larger motorhome was more stable running down the highway but after market mods to my 32sa have it handling about the same on the highway. Fuel economy sucks on all of them but the diesel costs more at the pump. One of the biggest differences to me was the annual maintenance costs to maintain each. I would take the Ventana diesel to Gaffney SC each year and spend anywhere from $800 to $1600 dollars depending on what was needed. My first older gas mh I changed oil and did most things myself since they were much easier to do. Even taking it to Ford which I will do with my new one I suspect will cost a fraction of what my diesel cost to have maintained.

When I was new to motorhomes I thought a diesel was the only way to go. After my needs changed I started looking at gas models and after having owned two I think my mind has been changed especially if you are looking for something around 35 feet or smaller. When you factor in the cost difference to buy, the cost of diesel versus gas, the cost to maintain I think I prefer gas on mid to small sized
motorhomes.

I need to change my motorhome picture but when I attempted to display my tiffin 32sa the picture would always appear sideways and wouldn't orient properly.

Tags
diesel, gas, tiffin