Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
2019 Allegro Red 37ba

Hello. We are newbies and are looking at this unit. We would appreciate any thoughts or advise. They are asking 199 k . It’s in very good condition with 12000 miles. Thanks. John
jrj89134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
KJR

Find a competent RV inspector in your area if you get serious.

We have a 2019 Red 37pa, special ordered, and paid the same price new. We didn't option in navigation, satellite or wifi booster or washer/dryer. Yours may have all these options. Those options add up to about $6000

We full time in our 37pa and have about 15 high priority items for Tiffin to look at. Nothing is a show stopper.

The number one priority is the fresh water tank, the overflow neck on top of the water tank leaks if I fill the tank full and water leak onto the top of the tank from the neck. Then it runs off and gets under the tank.

Another issue is on furnace or HP the Spyder system cycles the furnace/HP off 1 degree below the desired temperature. After the HP cycles off this causes the HP to come on and cycling off within a minute.

The last high priority item is my living room furnace (and the bedroom furnace at a lessor degree) burner cycles on and off every two or three minutes, the fan keeps blowing and then the burner comes on again. Repeats until the desired temperature is reached. Furnace is probably running twice as long as its needed, not good in a dry camping scenario on batteries.

Check for loose kitchen, bathroom and bedroom drawers. The screws holding the slide mechanisms were backing out due to too soft wood used and not enough screws used on the drawer slide. I used about 100 extra screws and thin super glue to strengthen the screws.

Check the GVWR. I noticed earlier Reds of this size had a lower GVWR than ours, which was one of the last 2019s manufactured in 2019, at 33,400lbs. As loaded with full fuel our front axle is 420lbs under the GAWR of 12,100lbs. The rear axle is under by 1400lbs with a GAWR of 21000lbs.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Hi John, not sure what the seller paid for their rig or what it is equipped with but we paid pretty much the same for our 2019 37BA brand new. We now have close to 14000 miles on it. We have had a few issues but similar to KJR no show stoppers and nothing that really surprised me. I was able to see my rig be built so I saw the process, the QC inspectors and the final testing. We had ours built and we got prices from 7 dealers based on our build sheet, 4 of them were within a couple of thousand dollars of the asking price of the used rig you are looking at. Not sure how quickly you need the vehicle but you could get a new rig for close to the same price equipped the way you want. Yes if you buy new there will be some debugging and issues you need to deal with, might be the same with the rig you are looking at. Again we love our 37BA, good luck with your search! Sorry for the long winded reply...
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks you guys ! That’s very interesting. This is a consignment with a dealer so he is taking his cut. Both of you seem to recommend the Tiffin how long is the order time normally? What is your guess on one year deprecation? Thanks. John
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #5

We ordered a 2020 37BA, picked it up in December. With all the options our quotes were anywhere from $211-215K. I would think, based on those numbers, that $199K is high for a used one. As previously stated, if you are patient you could order one with everything you want. Our build took about 10 weeks, with the factory currently shut down not sure what the build schedules would be like now.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the price is a bit high. Also have an independent inspection done (you pay for it) before exchanging any $$$.

We are in a 2018 RED 37PA that we ordered new with a fair amount of options and paid just a bit under the 199K.

We love the rig and have been basically full time for 18 months and 14K miles with no major problems. We did have some minor repairs done aa well as some custom woodwork done after market.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

with the sales numbers you've just heard i too would suggest ordering new... i just ordered... maybe a mistake however as the effects of corona aren't fully on us yet...

i've talked with tiffin this week... they say time for delivery is 12 to 14 weeks.. but they are closed this week!! so you should add a week or two to that number and pray that corona stays out of northwest alabama.

but there is an option... us buyers don't make enough offers...
if you really like the one you are looking at. then make an offer...
i have no idea what good offer should be...
but if folks were buying this model for 200. then 180 surely is not an insult.. and so what if it is... i'll bet the salesman/owner have had -0- offers.. too many owners get insulted with a low offer..

i had been trying to buy a tiffin... salesman kept telling me they were raising prices... because with factory shut down there would be limited supply.
b.s. i had just sold mine.. had some cash. ready to buy.. i walked. a week later. (this week) i called dealer. got owner. i'm ready to order... he considered, then said, i've got one just like that... hold on, i'll call you right back. he did. his offer to sell was 10,000 less than last week. bottom line
coaches in stock are coming down in price. imo.

so, make an offer. example.. sir, we like it, we'd like to see maintenance records. we want to talk with the prior owner first. and we'll pay to have it inspected... if all checks out, we'll pay 170. (or whatever number you would feel comfortable with...)
salesman will act insulted... he shouldn't ... he'll say owner doesn't want to talk with you.... he'll say... no need to inspect, we've already done that...
then you say, thank you. here's my name and number, if you change your mind, let me know and walk.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #8

Good advice from rockriver if you really like the 2019 unit. If I was selling mine, based on what we paid for our 2019 new we would probably hope to get around $175K, we have 14000 miles. Good luck with your decision, we would not hesitate to buy new again and wait the 12 weeks or so. Safe travels and stay safe!
Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
PS

I want to thank all of you for your help. I’m really impressed with the feedback I received. I’ll let you know what happens. John
Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Give Andy Pearson at Sherman RV Center a shout and have him quote you a 2020. Or, wait 4-5 months and get a quote on an early 2021. Order before year end and beat the annual price hike in January.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro