I can't seem to locate all the photos that I had but attached is a photo of the engine cover/console area. The three vertical arrows along the front are where the front screws were located. I used a magnetic pick up tool to find them.
The horizontal arrow in the back shows the top ridge along the fire wall. Once you remove the cup holder and the console that ridge is exposed. There were three screws along that ridge.
The carpet is all one piece covering the engine cover and out onto the floor for four or five inches. Stapled to the floor as mentioned. I did not reattach it to the floor and it has not been a problem.
The sound attenuation was significant. It was difficult to hold a normal conversation in the front and, since I am a creature of the long drive and listening to music, I wanted to reduce the noise. Also, hill climbing and coming back down the mountain in tow-haul mode was a little loud.
Through a fluke in the ordering process I wound up with equal amounts of Dynamat Hood Liner and Stinger Roadkill. I had experience with both products for different applications. I ordered enough to do the following surfaces:
- Underside of engine cover
- Exterior of firewall above the floor
- Exterior underside of front dash
- Exterior underside of floor, side to side, including over the wheels from the front of the coach to the first slide, behind the transmission.
- I also wrapped the A/C ducts exposed in the front compartment with Hood Liner.
After cleaning all surfaces I applied first the Stinger Roadkill and then the 3/4" Hood Liner on top of that. The Roadkill has very good vibration attenuation properties as well as sound attenuation, the Hood Liner is good with sound and heat.
The result was very quite at cruising speeds. The engine drone and transmission whine was cut down considerable. What emerged was tire/road noise but mainly b/c everything else was muted.
The engine cover sets on an FRP frame rail. I sealed around that frame rail between the floor and the rail with silicon sealant and also sealed the gaps in the flooring. I put a layer of Stinger Roadkill on the rail where the engine cover mates. Hood liner is too thick for that. I did bolster the hood liner so that in protrudes down over the seal between the cover and rail on the engine side. There was plenty of room between the engine and the final layer of insulation under the cover. Maybe an inch or more.....and that was to the dipstick tube which was the highest part of the motor.
FYI.....once I spent a lot of time down there I realized there is actually a lot of work that I could do on that engine if I had to without removing the cover b/c the sides and front are almost entirely exposed.