Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2020 Phaeton 40QBH - ride quality?

Hello - need some help trying to get a better ride out of this rig. It has the Freightliner chassis with solid front axle. Will new shocks help? If so, which ones are the best?

- air pressure is correct after weighing both axles

Bumps on highway make the whole front end shake!
NO-ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a thought before investing bigger dollars, ride height and alignment. They're both a shot in the dark, but checking them may reveal another underlying problem.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
PKI

Slow down, lighten the front end (not too much), optimize air pressure in steers, go to Koni dampers, avoid bad road surfaces (use all the lane), and SLOW DOWN.

The after-market steering dampers help you control the steering on straight axle rigs. Worth considering.

Note - road impacts impart a horizontal force and a vertical force. Dampers absorb vertical force and tire pressure absorbs the horizontal force. It's a balance.

EDIT - a 2020 should not have enough miles to destroy the dampers. Consequently, unless I had money to burn, I'd address all other options first. But I wanted Koni's after the first 2500 miles. Still saving for them.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Slow down, lighten the front end (not too much), optimize air pressure in steers, go to Koni dampers, avoid bad road surfaces (use all the lane), and SLOW DOWN.

The after-market steering dampers help you control the steering on straight axle rigs. Worth considering.

Note - road impacts impart a horizontal force and a vertical force. Dampers absorb vertical force and tire pressure absorbs the horizontal force. It's a balance.

EDIT - a 2020 should not have enough miles to destroy the dampers. Consequently, unless I had money to burn, I'd address all other options first. But I wanted Koni's after the first 2500 miles. Still saving for them.
Thank you. Do you have a recommendation on best place to have installed?
Old 11-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
PKI

Bay Diesel in Red Bay, Al.

Phill Holingsworth Family RV in Jackson, CA.

One owner had a mobil tire shop pull the wheels and did the damper install as a DIY project.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Headed to Saf-T-Plus in Tallapoosa, GA for steering stabilizer and shocks
Old 12-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO-ETA View Post
Headed to Saf-T-Plus in Tallapoosa, GA for steering stabilizer

While I like Safe T Plus, that is sure NOT where I would start for a ride quality issue.

As already mentioned, after setting tire pressure to actual load, the very next step is to verify RIDE HEIGHT as that has a material impact on ride quality.

Next would be Koni shocks.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
While I like Safe T Plus, that is sure NOT where I would start for a ride quality issue.

As already mentioned, after setting tire pressure to actual load, the very next step is to verify RIDE HEIGHT as that has a material impact on ride quality.

Next would be Koni shocks.
Agreed. Ride height verified (10” drive axle, 9.75” rear on FL). SafTPlus is installing KONI’s also.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:

Be interested in your experience. Thinking of having them install the steering stabilizer after we leave Florida in the spring.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Agreed. Ride height verified (10” drive axle, 9.75” rear on FL). SafTPlus is installing KONI’s also.
Are you sure the ride heights are verified the way you typed them, or is there a typo?

Shaking the whole front end would make me question the ride height adjustment also, but then we don't know what speed you're traveling or the condition of the roads you're on, they may shake any coach.

Adding a steering stabilizer won't do anything for your ride.

Installing the Koni FSD shocks should improve the ride even though some have said they didn't notice any difference. Only the FSD shocks have the selective dampening.

If you want better handling, I suggest an alignment adjustment. I like .03* total toe, camber is not normally adjustable, and a caster setting that provides 3/4" of trail. I've adjusted 4 coach chassis this way and wouldn't keep doing the same thing if it didn't work. The 3/4" trail adjustment won't be within Freightliner or Ford specifications.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello - need some help trying to get a better ride out of this rig. It has the Freightliner chassis with solid front axle. Will new shocks help? If so, which ones are the best?

- air pressure is correct after weighing both axles

Bumps on highway make the whole front end shake!
I have a Newmar with the Freightliner chassis. Switched to Koni shocks and it made a big difference. Worth the investment.
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:02 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We had the Safe-T-Plus and shocks added to our Freightliner chassis and all I can say is night and day ride.. I am a true believer in the Safe-T-Plus set up. If you would like a discount for the Safe-T-Plus and/or the shocks, you can use discount code: (HNG-1031)

I hope it helps you with the stability and ride of your coach the way it helped us...
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Be interested in your experience. Thinking of having them install the steering stabilizer after we leave Florida in the spring.
We had the Safe-T-Plus and the shocks installed all the way around on our freightliner chassis before we went to Florida and I have to say that it made a real difference in the ride of our coach.. The steering is very controlled and the wind no longer affect the coach the way it use to. The Tech said that the OEM shock on our coach was bad (Only 2 years old). After having the new shocks installed and putting another 400 miles on the coach, I believe him.
If you consider getting the Safe-T-Plus steering system and shocks, Here is a discount code you can use to help you save some money..
Use Code: (HNG-1031)
Tell them that Herbie from Redjaguar 100 Travels sent you.
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I just got back from Saf-T-Plus in Tallapoosa. It is a short 4 hr drive from Nashville area. I had the stabilizer and Koni shocks installed. Big difference in my rig. I didn’t realize how much I was fighting the wind and passing 18 wheelers. KONI’s are well worth the money and smoothed out the harsh bumps.

Tags
phaeton, quality, ride