Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2020 Phaeton shower handles

Can anyone tell me why my shower has 2 controllers? the upper handle seems like more of a diverter, like if you were to divert water from a tub faucet to the shower head, but we only have 1 shower head... and if you turn this handle to one side it sounds like water is running, but it's not coming out of anywhere. the other handle seems to be the useful one, controlling pressure and temperature, i just don't understand the purpose of the upper handle.
Ynowgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Sounds like they moved the shutoff from the shower head to the wall.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Do your handles look like the ones below (from our Phaeton)? We have 2 shower heads: 1 rainshower & 1 hand-held adjustable up/down on a pole. The upper handle controls to which head the water exits, the one below is for the flow/temp.

I wouldn't have thought they'd have put in the diverter handle if you don't have the rainshower head.

I'd be concerned if you can hear water running that's not coming out of your existing shower head. It's not running behind your walls is it?

Lori-

On edit: I see in the pictures on the Tiffin website, that diverter handle IS in a 2020 Phaeton's shower, but with only 1 shower head, I have no idea why. I suppose you could use it as a shut off for the hand-held (ours has a shut off switch on it) but I'd sure like to know where the water is going if you say you can hear it running when that's turned & no flow is coming out of the 1 head you have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2handles.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	271306  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Do your handles look like the ones below (from our Phaeton)? We have 2 shower heads: 1 rainshower & 1 hand-held adjustable up/down on a pole. The upper handle controls to which head the water exits, the one below is for the flow/temp.

I wouldn't have thought they'd have put in the diverter handle if you don't have the rainshower head.

I'd be concerned if you can hear water running that's not coming out of your existing shower head. It's not running behind your walls is it?

Lori-

On edit: I see in the pictures on the Tiffin website, that diverter handle IS in a 2020 Phaeton's shower, but with only 1 shower head, I have no idea why. I suppose you could use it as a shut off for the hand-held (ours has a shut off switch on it) but I'd sure like to know where the water is going if you say you can hear it running when that's turned & no flow is coming out of the 1 head you have.
Yes, yes, and yes!!! That is exactly what ours looks like, and I’m also wondering where the water is going! I do not turn it that way, for fear that it’s just spraying behind the wall, but my kids love to mess with everything they touch, so I worry they will mess with it. I need to figure out how I can get back there and check on it.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You would hope they'd have capped off any plumbing to the non-existent rainshower head. I'd check to be sure though, since you state you hear water running when the diverter handle is turned & nothing is coming out your existing shower head. Your storage bay below the shower isn't showing signs of water, is it?

My coach is in storage so I can't go look. I'd think there should be an access panel opposite where those valves are? Is there any such thing on your bedroom wall? On our prior Bounder, there was what's shown below in our bedroom. That little panel was directly opposite the shower controls in that coach's bathroom.

Keep us posted on what you find. Maybe a call to Tiffin Service would be in order to find out what's behind your shower surround & if they capped off any pipe back there.

I guess, in the meantime, you've got a place to hang your washcloth.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boundershoweraccesspanel.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	271319  
Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
As Lori suggested, look for the access panel on the back of the shower. On our 40IH, the panel is behind the sliding door between the bedroom and the rear bath. From what I understand they removed the rain shower heads due to complaints about it being too low for some. They probably left the piping there so it could be added but it should not be running water when the valve is turned.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 PM   #7

I believe the second handle is a diverter valve. When engaged the water will be diverted into the fresh water tank. The purpose for this is when dry camping you can save water when taking a shower- diverting water back into the fresh water tank while waiting for the hot water to arrive at the shower. This concept was I believe first introduced by Newmar and Tiffin just started it for 2020. Surprised it is not mentioned in the owners manual.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
I believe the second handle is a diverter valve. When engaged the water will be diverted into the fresh water tank. The purpose for this is when dry camping you can save water when taking a shower- diverting water back into the fresh water tank while waiting for the hot water to arrive at the shower. This concept was I believe first introduced by Newmar and Tiffin just started it for 2020. Surprised it is not mentioned in the owners manual.
I wonder what happens if you are on city water,but have a full tank of water? Out the tank overflow?
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
I wonder what happens if you are on city water,but have a full tank of water? Out the tank overflow?
You don’t use the diverter when on city water.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
I believe the second handle is a diverter valve. When engaged the water will be diverted into the fresh water tank...
Interesting concept. If that IS the case, it sure would be something Tiffin should've mentioned somewhere, since the original use of that valve was to select either the rainhead or pole showerheads.

L-
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a bad idea if this is the case. Saves water because you are just recirculating fresh water while you wait for the shower to warm.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
So, if the water is going to the fresh tank & it's all behind the walls, how do you know when the water is hot so you aren't sending hot water to the tank & wasting hot water?

Lori-
Old 01-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
So a quick update:
I found and opened the access panel and can see how it’s plumbed. I took some photos to help, and I do see where there is a hose from the diverted valve that drops down the wall, but cannot tell where it goes. Anyway, I’m not seeing any water anywhere, and I ran the shower diverted to that hose and could not see any issues, so I guess maybe it does lead to the fresh tank?..
one puzzling thing... if you notice, between the mixing valve and the diverted valve there is a blue circle on the wall. If you looking at the plumbing behind, you can see a clear plastic T that goes to that circle, and then down into the abyss (maybe to the fresh tank), any idea what that is all about?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6923DE97-4DE2-432B-A248-D4BC556107F6.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	271396   Click image for larger version

Name:	4C06045C-D639-4F46-B5E9-58D9EC3EA58D.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	271397  

Old 01-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I don't know what that blue thingy is, but if you zoom in on it far enough, it looks like a molded impression of an eye on it - like the symbol for the Illuminati or the Eye of Providence on the back of the US dollar bill.

I'm sure it's something else molded into it but from what I see, that's creepy....especially in a shower.

I'm still thinking a call to Tiffin Service is in order. Inquiring minds want to know.

You can also email them, especially since you have photos you want explained. service@tiffinmotorhomes.com.

Lori-

Tags
phaeton, shower