Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2020 Tiffin models still good quality?

Hi everyone - when did the quality go down after the Thor take over - I'm looking at a 2020 and wondering if that is the first year of the decline or if it started in 2021. Looking at the ALLEGRO RED 340 33 AL on RVTrader - it looks great but I hope to avoid the problems of the newer models if possible.
Thank much!!
DriftingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM   #2

We have a 2021 Phaeton and I think the quality is excellent. Very few and minor problems from the factory and most were identified by our dealer prior to the PDI. Ours was built in June of 2020. Thor industries didn't ruin Airstream or Integra so I'm not sure why so many think they will ruin Tiffin. Changes will be implemented but not sure quality changes can be blamed on Thor industries.

Only change I've noticed in customer service is they stick to the warranty time-frame and some of the long time Tiffin employees and experts have retired. However, every time I call, I get quick answers from a knowledgeable person.

Sam
Old 02-08-2023, 08:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Sam, I admittedly worry too much!! I appreciate your response.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:37 AM   #4

In our experience the Workmanship, Quality in RV's is often like asking a politician what they have accomplished.

Our 2017 Tiffin Breeze was a major disappointment after reading all the reports of Tiffin Quality. It was nearly like the 2015 THOR Siesta we owned prior to purchasing the Tiffin. If was not as messy inside, but the Tiffin was bought used. Both had more than their share of workmanship problems. The only advantage the Tiffin had over the THOR was that the cabinet face frames were, typically, of better quality. Although one of the frames had a nail blow out of adjoining 90 deg. trim piece.

The Breeze is built on a Powerglide chassis, built in house. Many issues with that unit. Things like the interference fit between the steps and the ground. Also many mechanical defects and this was with only about 7.5 k miles on the clock. Leaking coolant and transmission fluid. Both the radiator and the trans fluid cooler had to be replaced under warranty. One of the ball joints was installed without any lubrication.

There were quite a number of typical RV issues, on top of that.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Just like SamKVA

Just like SamKVA, our 2021 45OPP was built in June of 2020, just when Tiffin was restarting production after the covid shutdown. We are very pleased with the quality and workmanship in our bus. We have always received great response and support for questions or problems from Tiffin Customer Service. Don`t know much about the new models after 2021. Please stay safe.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:53 AM   #6

2020 RED 37BA, build started first week of October 2019 and we picked it up a week before Christmas 2019. We are very happy with the quality of our RV. Minor issues so far after nearly 3 1/2 years of ownership and 22k miles. We have been to Red Bay 3x, twice to Tiffin service center and once to use outside vendors (mainly for maintenance and optional services). We get compliments on our coach wherever we go and even though Tiffin sold out to Thor, we still think we made the right choice (only other one we considered was Newmar after 4 years of research and narrowing our choice down).
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:55 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the 2019 Red 340 33AL. 99% the same as the 2020. I had my share of issues with it after buying it new from the dealer in August 2020. However, I was new to the RV world and had high quality build expectations that I quickly learned aren't present in buying RV's unless you buy the top brands (Newell, Prevost, etc...). Since you are looking at a 2020, it is likely the prior owner(s) worked all of the initial build issues out already. You are definitely looking at an entry level DP. We considered upgrading recently to something with more comfort features (extra bathroom, Aqua Hot, fully ducted AC), but we just couldn't justify the enormous amount of money we would have to spend for those compared to the present value of our coach. It wasn't about not being able to afford it, but I could never reconcile the added features to the added cost, so we decided to love our rig. I've since added the RV AC Silencer and it has made a huge difference in the noise levels. I also added the Micro Air easy starts, Micro Air bluetooth thermostat, Magne Shades, Safe T Plus. Unless you are looking at a total lemon or a rig that was abused, I think the 33AL is a good rig. Just be aware that if you tour another person's higher end rig, you may wish you had some of the features I mentioned.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
I have the 2019 Red 340 33AL. 99% the same as the 2020. I had my share of issues with it after buying it new from the dealer in August 2020. However, I was new to the RV world and had high quality build expectations that I quickly learned aren't present in buying RV's unless you buy the top brands (Newell, Prevost, etc...). Since you are looking at a 2020, it is likely the prior owner(s) worked all of the initial build issues out already. You are definitely looking at an entry level DP. We considered upgrading recently to something with more comfort features (extra bathroom, Aqua Hot, fully ducted AC), but we just couldn't justify the enormous amount of money we would have to spend for those compared to the present value of our coach. It wasn't about not being able to afford it, but I could never reconcile the added features to the added cost, so we decided to love our rig. I've since added the RV AC Silencer and it has made a huge difference in the noise levels. I also added the Micro Air easy starts, Micro Air bluetooth thermostat, Magne Shades, Safe T Plus. Unless you are looking at a total lemon or a rig that was abused, I think the 33AL is a good rig. Just be aware that if you tour another person's higher end rig, you may wish you had some of the features I mentioned.

We have a 2019, before Covid and Thor, quality has been terrible and now with Thor we can see the customer service has already gone down hill. Warranties are strictly adhered to when in the past they would work with you to fix their poor builds.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
TODAY, ALL RV manufacturers have quality issues and outright failures. Covid impacted a lot of the experienced help (never returned to work) and the supply issues remain. My 2020 32SA which I bought one year old in march of 2021 is great, been very reliable, and the fit and finish is very good. Similarily, my Jayco Alante 29S, purchased new in March of 2020 had no issues other than those associated with a lower-end coach.

I am a member of a Newmar Facebook forum and I see the exact same issues as those reported on the Tiffin Forums. Guess I should try a PREVOST page. There are many things a RV manufacturer can control in his build with quality parts and experienced workers but the quality and reliability of the major parts (e.g. appliances, furnaces, AC) is not exactly one of them. Face it, even before COVID, major appliances were NOT all that great in quality and its gotten worse. NOTE, as an illustration, I have a 25 year old garage fridge that keeps on ticking and am on my 3rd "new" in the same period after I moved and decided to start fresh.

Folks often complain about the missing Quality Control when they have issues with a off the lot coach. While one can catch quality issues with inspections, the fact remains is you build quality in, it's not inspected in. After completion of an RV (or any product) its gets costly and inefficient to correct issues that were caused by subsuppliers and less than qualified workers.

From what I have seen on the internet, its a mixed bag when buying a NEW RV. Some have issues and some not. The internet and places like FB Forums are geared to folks that HAVE ISSUES or complaints, not those that come to the table with complements. So has the potential for issues gone up lately yes. Me (IMHO), I would buy a used RV after PO worked thru the issues and infant mortality and as a plus, one built pre-covid.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
We have a 2019, before Covid and Thor, quality has been terrible and now with Thor we can see the customer service has already gone down hill. Warranties are strictly adhered to when in the past they would work with you to fix their poor builds.
Ken
I have not experienced customer service going down hill. Abiding by warranty is a good business decision. I can't relate to pre-COVID quality and maybe 2020 was a good build year or at least it was for us. We have never taken ours to Red Bay and it's only been back to the dealer once to fix the PDI items and those the dealer found prior to our PDI; maybe a dozen total items and all very minor.

Sam
Old 02-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for everyone’s replies - it’s a mixed bag and I guess you just have to jump in and hope for the best. I will definitely get an inspection and will be buying used.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
I have not experienced customer service going down hill. Abiding by warranty is a good business decision. I can't relate to pre-COVID quality and maybe 2020 was a good build year or at least it was for us. We have never taken ours to Red Bay and it's only been back to the dealer once to fix the PDI items and those the dealer found prior to our PDI; maybe a dozen total items and all very minor.

Sam

Congratulations, you’re a lucky one. I didn’t buy an overpriced Tiffin to deal with the same poor quality I experienced with other brands. I am just more disappointed than you can believe with the piss poor product and disappearing customer service.
Ken
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:16 PM   #13

My 2020 Phaeton started manufacturing just before the Tiffin COVID shutdown. It was finished after the shutdown was lifted. It had more problems than a math book. I had Tiffin take it back (at a significant financial hit) because I could not, in good conscience, sell it to someone else in order to get rid of it. I bought a 2021 Bus. Other than the Schwintek slides and window replacements the other 30-40 things were minor and I fixed them myself. Very satisfied with the quality of the 2021. It is hit or miss as to whether you get a good one. A comprehensive inspection and maintenance records are a minimum requirement IMO. Getting to know the seller (if private sale) will tell you volumes about how well the motorhome was treated.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:10 AM   #14

I have a 2010 38QBA, bought as an insurance wreck after a minor electrical fire.
The repairs were easy...but there was a major sag in the rear of the coach. I later learned that this was a common problem.
As a retired design engineer, I was appalled at the lack of design and engineering, poor material choices and extremely poor quality welds on major structural components.
It seems as if Tiffin didn't care, or didn't know enough to properly design and build a reliable motorhome platform.
I understand there are cost and manufacturing compromises that must exist, but these compromises should never affect the safety and reliability of the vehicle.

Sorry for sounding so negative, but any Tiffin owners should take a peek under your coaches, and look past the glossy brochures.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin