Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #43

f14av8r, (Cool name BTW!)

Those were my original thoughts, a Class A might be better suited for our needs, but I'm still trying to convince "Da Wife". At this point, the Wayfarer is not "meeting" our requirements fully, so that should give me some leverage in the discussion.
Aries2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:42 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Smile 2020 Mercedes 3500 Sprinter at Hershey RV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I agree with you as to your wants, please call Tiffin and ask them to use the 4500 Sprinter Chassis, you will not only get what you want, but get what you need.
At the 2019 Hershey East Coast RV show last week I spent alot of time at a Mercedes Sprinter exhibit which showcased a new stripped 2020 Mercedes 3500 chassis and full cab / interior / motor now being built for all RV coach builders using this platform.

The National Mercedes engineer at their booth tours RV manufactures as part of the requirement to be a Master Fitter I believe was the term. He spoke of some RV manufactures designing their coaches with OCCC "cut to the bone".

Contrary to what was being told by RV Sales people at the show , the new 2020 3500 chassis was the same GVWR as 2018. He mentioned that there was a higher weight bearing sprinter chassis option available (4500), but no manufacture in the RV industry has taken advantage of this.

So to Cofie Drink's comment; as much as I would love to have bought a Tiffin Wayfarer, with it's best C Class fit and finish at the show by far, I could not given the OCCC. Tiffin's knitch appears to be for the RV owner that throws safety to the wind in favor of high end finish and construction found in Class A coaches. .. oh yeah and that big silver Tiffin emblem on the door.

As difficult as it is, I will suppress my desire to be wrapped in A Class luxury in my C Class Mercedes 3500 and wait until Tiffin does the responsible chassis upgrade the 4500. Will forgo the solid wood cabinets, Corinthian leather, corian, full wall slide and diesel gen for lower density and weight components as a sacrifice for my and my family's safety.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enerserve View Post
At the 2019 Hershey East Coast RV show last week I spent alot of time at a Mercedes Sprinter exhibit which showcased a new stripped 2020 Mercedes 3500 chassis and full cab / interior / motor now being built for all RV coach builders using this platform.

The National Mercedes engineer at their booth tours RV manufactures as part of the requirement to be a Master Fitter I believe was the term. He spoke of some RV manufactures designing their coaches with OCCC "cut to the bone".

Contrary to what was being told by RV Sales people at the show , the new 2020 3500 chassis was the same GVWR as 2018. He mentioned that there was a higher weight bearing sprinter chassis option available (4500), but no manufacture in the RV industry has taken advantage of this.

So to Cofie Drink's comment; as much as I would love to have bought a Tiffin Wayfarer, with it's best C Class fit and finish at the show by far, I could not given the OCCC. Tiffin's knitch appears to be for the RV owner that throws safety to the wind in favor of high end finish and construction found in Class A coaches. .. oh yeah and that big silver Tiffin emblem on the door.

As difficult as it is, I will suppress my desire to be wrapped in A Class luxury in my C Class Mercedes 3500 and wait until Tiffin does the responsible chassis upgrade the 4500. Will forgo the solid wood cabinets, Corinthian leather, corian, full wall slide and diesel gen for lower density and weight components as a sacrifice for my and my family's safety.
Your loss. I'll be enjoying my wonderful coach instead of splitting hairs over some excessively padded engineers version of my coaches carrying capacity!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Your loss. I'll be enjoying my wonderful coach instead of splitting hairs over some excessively padded engineers version of my coaches carrying capacity!
I hope you're not a heavy rigger; a boilermaker, ironworker, machinery mover or millwright for instance. Because thinking like you do gets people killed.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #47

Last month I saw a 20 Tiffin RW with a tow dolly. I bought a dolly for my 15 View G. After I weighed it, I sold the dolly as they add 500 plus to the chassis. Please weight your Sprinter and know your weight.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #48

Well I DID weigh my 2020 Wayfarer RW loaded for a ten day trip and it came in at 10900 lbs. Close to the 11030, but still safe IMO. Drove really well and stable even in significant Utah crosswinds. VERY satisfied with the rig after the first three trips.
nnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
These are not “silly numbers”. These are numbers established by the chassis manufacturer, Mercedes, that assures safe operation at the maximum weight. This includes stopping distance, maneuvering capabilities, etc.

I suggest you buy something else - for example a Winnebago View with a similar floor plan will typically be over 1000 lbs of OCCC. Read the door sticker, it’s there for a reason.
FYI - Just saw the yellow "OCCC" sticker on a 2021 View 24D, it says 864#. I believe this may be due to the optional leveling system in lieu of the lighter stabilizers....
4US2NJY is offline   Reply With Quote