Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #29

Before you buy a Sprinter based coach, get it weighed. The Sprinter 3500 is 11,030 GVWR. I would expect many manufacturers of Sprinters are low on OCCC from marginal, Winnebago to Tiffin insane. I am looking at Tiffin for a upgrade to a DP, maybe a Breeze when I came across this thread. IMHO do not buy a Wayfarer. If looking at the 20 ViewD, similar to the coach in the Video, I would drive it to the scale before I buy. Winnebago builds per the spec and does have useful OCCC of 960 on my G with a rear slide to 1200 with the One slide and no overhead bed, WGO does not have an option for Leveler.

I still want the Sprinter 4500 used as it will add 1000 lbs. If Tiffin reads this, please consider that cab chassis, Mercedes took off the 65 MPH limit that was in the spec, maybe turning off the OEM? Tiffin you build too heavy for the 3500.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I say again. You can buy any coach on the market, load it reasonably, and go enjoy your life. Your insurance company neither knows or cares and will pay any claims without question. This is simply a NON ISSUE!
I was almost convinced (not really) until this fantastic sentence came up. "Your insurance company neither knows or cares and will pay any claims without question." Obviously the author has never dealt with any insurance companies. There is no such animal as an insurance company that will pay any claim without question.

You have to argue every point with insurance. For example, my car was crushed (with me in it) between 2 semi trucks on the freeway. (27 car pileup, we were towards the back) The insurance company 'assessed' my car and decided the tires were 1/2 of tread life left. The tires were Michelin and had less than 500 miles on 4 brand new tires. I had the paperwork to prove it. Did it really matter? Yes, of course it did because in the lawsuit I had to prove I stopped prior to hitting the truck in front. The truck behind didn't stop and piledrove me into the front truck. 4 brand new tires are more convincing than 1/2 worn out tires when you're arguing who stopped and who didn't. The insurance company certainly didn't "pay any claim without question".
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
Before you buy a Sprinter based coach, get it weighed. The Sprinter 3500 is 11,030 GVWR. I would expect many manufacturers of Sprinters are low on OCCC from marginal, Winnebago to Tiffin insane. I am looking at Tiffin for a upgrade to a DP, maybe a Breeze when I came across this thread. IMHO do not buy a Wayfarer. If looking at the 20 ViewD, similar to the coach in the Video, I would drive it to the scale before I buy. Winnebago builds per the spec and does have useful OCCC of 960 on my G with a rear slide to 1200 with the One slide and no overhead bed, WGO does not have an option for Leveler.

I still want the Sprinter 4500 used as it will add 1000 lbs. If Tiffin reads this, please consider that cab chassis, Mercedes took off the 65 MPH limit that was in the spec, maybe turning off the OEM? Tiffin you build too heavy for the 3500.
An extra 1000lbs would be huge in Sprinter based class C coaches.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
When I lived in Michigan's U.P. as a kid we had a saying: "Trolls live under the bridge." Seems to apply to Tiffin forums as well given all the non-Tiffin owners who bash on the units. Funny thing is I don't really see Tiffin owners trolling the boards of other manufacturers. Wonder why? Just like the big automakers in the U.S. and Germany love to bash Tesla, spreading F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) either directly or through their loyal supporters in feeble attempts to dissuade sales, so it goes similarly in the RV business.

I just finished an awesome trip to Sunriver in my 2018 Wayfarer BW yesterday. Pulled and descended some 6-7% grades with a Fiat 500 Turbo TOAD through some twisty passes. Very stable and no sway due to the factory standard Sumo springs and beafed up anti-sway bar. When parked, other class C owners as well as a couple of towables near where I was set up asked to check out the unit as they knew the Tiffin name, but not that they were making Classs C rigs now. I gladly gave tours and like any proud owner took in all oohs and aahs.

Enjoy your purchase and your journeys.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 AM   #33

Mark, with all due respect, what does your post have to do with cargo carrying capacity?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post
When I lived in Michigan's U.P. as a kid we had a saying: "Trolls live under the bridge." Seems to apply to Tiffin forums as well given all the non-Tiffin owners who bash on the units. Funny thing is I don't really see Tiffin owners trolling the boards of other manufacturers. Wonder why? Just like the big automakers in the U.S. and Germany love to bash Tesla, spreading F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) either directly or through their loyal supporters in feeble attempts to dissuade sales, so it goes similarly in the RV business.

I just finished an awesome trip to Sunriver in my 2018 Wayfarer BW yesterday. Pulled and descended some 6-7% grades with a Fiat 500 Turbo TOAD through some twisty passes. Very stable and no sway due to the factory standard Sumo springs and beafed up anti-sway bar. When parked, other class C owners as well as a couple of towables near where I was set up asked to check out the unit as they knew the Tiffin name, but not that they were making Classs C rigs now. I gladly gave tours and like any proud owner took in all oohs and aahs.

Best,
-Mark
Hey Mark, real classy.

Now that you've gotten the personal attacks out of your system.

Would you care to explain where any of the information us "trolls" posted is inaccurate?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
You Warferer guys can get it on...but it is what it is.....
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mark,
Former Tiffin Open Road and Phaeton owner and I am a big critic of the Wayfarer for the low OCCC. We were looking to downsize from our Phaeton until we saw the Wayfarer with the impossibly low, unusable OCCC. I really wanted to stay with Tiffin, but you know, a 680 lb OCCC is just nonsense. Lots of things to love about the Sprinter chassis, but load capacity isn't one of them. Lots of things to love about Tiffin as well, but not the Wayfarer.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #37

I also have an Open Road and am looking to downsize after some really awesome trips. Would like the maneuverability and better mileage of a sprinter-based rig.

I love the Tiffins, but am concerned by the OCCC. My best friend owns a WBGO View and is very happy. He regularly has towed his Jeep JK unlimited coast to coast and is completely sold on the Sprinter chassis - he had a Diesel pusher prior and downsized to the sprinter.

I hate to give up the Tiffin support and quality, but may do so for the increased OCCC and lithium battery option (which will increase the OCCC a few pounds since lithium batteries are much lighter and should last MUCH longer with no maintenance/waterlevel issues).

Will be going to Hershey in sept so I can see and talk to the reps and continue my research. OCCC makes a difference to me, but I'm not sure how much right now.

Tiffin has some great options, but no lithium - which would be at least a small gain in OCCC. I also hate the shower walls in the Tiffin. They are the same as in my first RV, a Thor ACE. Bad vibes.

WBGO TV placement isn't as good as the Tiffin's for the floorpan I'm looking at. Tiffin has the Sumo Springs and a choice of interior colors. Full paint standard. WBGO - full paint $8K option. Only one interior color choice for 2020. etc.

Will be looking critically at the whole package on both units. OCCC will be in the mix and may be the deciding factor.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Mark, with all due respect, what does your post have to do with cargo carrying capacity?
Nothing. He's making the ad hominem argument that when people complain about the Tiffin's payload problem the problem is with the complainers, not the Tiffin. What often gives this kind of thing away is the use of the word "bashing", an emotionally loaded word meant to convey that criticism is a bad thing.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post

Best,
-Mark

Mark, I am glad you like your Wayfarer. The additions of Sumo and Hellwig are good, I had the 1000 lb Sumos and replaced mine with the 1500 and it helps. The Fox shocks by Agile Off road are another improvement. I am not a Troll but another guy who bought into the world of light chassis with heavy houses and small OCCC, i think WGO is better at this but I will bet many who don't know overload their coaches. Can your sprinter handle more is the question? Please get your unit weighed and at least know what the number is. Then you can decide what to bring on your trip. I run with out water in my tanks, I have a gallon in the bathroom and will get water when I arrive. You and I both have cars, I hope your is 4 down as it adds no weight but you have 4000 lbs in your combined weight, I put tools and heavy stuff in my car saving weight. I have only had to read the threads, and react to what I read. I am not bashing your Wayfarer, I have looked at them, Tiffin did build a good unit, it's a little heavy, please deal with it. Not a troll
Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #40

If anyone is shopping the 2020 Winnebago ViewD that is similar to the Tiffin Wayfair in the video, has 1100 OCCC.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #41

Forum Neebie

Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today after researching Class C’s for months and having iRV2 consistently pop up each time I searched for a specific aspect of the RV lifestyle.

I am not a current or previous owner of a RV of any kind, nor have I ever done any RVing, but as Army veteran I have some experience living in small quarters. I will be retiring in 4 years and have begun planning for our next life phase which is to become full-time RVers.

Now some of you might say, “wait a minute, you’ve got no experience to be a full-timer!”, to which I reply, in 2010 neither my wife nor I had ever ridden a motorcycle, but since then when learned to ride, purchased a total of 7 motorcycles (4 for her, 3 for me), stepping up from 600cc motorcycles to 1300cc tourers, traveled to 21 states, and averaged just a little over 11,000 miles annually riding. So we’re what you might call “quick studies”.

That being said, we had our hearts set on a Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW, but in my research on the motorhome and some of its competitor’s (Navion, I’m looking at you ), I keep running up against the Wayfarer’s low Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) and based on this lengthy discussion on the subject, it would appear that our dilemma is that there is no easy way for use to fit into a 202x Wayfarer comfortably given the following:
  • Occupant weights (combined): 399 lbs., some of which we are working to lose in the next few years.
  • Pet weights (2 small dogs combined): 35 lbs.
  • E-Bikes (2 at 65 lbs. each): 130 lbs.

So at a staring capacity of 444+/- lbs. there isn’t much capacity for other essentials. And, I know that many of you have said to take only the bare essentials when we travel, and that’s our plan, but I don’t want weight management to be our chief concern each time we head out to our next destination.

We don’t plan to pull a toad as we want to minimize backing and U-turn issues.

So I will continue to monitor this issue since we won’t be making a purchase until sometime in 2022. I hope that Tiffin can do something to raise the OCCC, otherwise we’ll have to seriously considered purchasing a MH from another manufacturer that offers a much better OCCC.
Aries2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries2RV View Post
Hello Everyone,

I just joined this forum today after researching Class C’s for months and having iRV2 consistently pop up each time I searched for a specific aspect of the RV lifestyle.

I am not a current or previous owner of a RV of any kind, nor have I ever done any RVing, but as Army veteran I have some experience living in small quarters. I will be retiring in 4 years and have begun planning for our next life phase which is to become full-time RVers.

Now some of you might say, “wait a minute, you’ve got no experience to be a full-timer!”, to which I reply, in 2010 neither my wife nor I had ever ridden a motorcycle, but since then when learned to ride, purchased a total of 7 motorcycles (4 for her, 3 for me), stepping up from 600cc motorcycles to 1300cc tourers, traveled to 21 states, and averaged just a little over 11,000 miles annually riding. So we’re what you might call “quick studies”.

That being said, we had our hearts set on a Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW, but in my research on the motorhome and some of its competitor’s (Navion, I’m looking at you ), I keep running up against the Wayfarer’s low Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) and based on this lengthy discussion on the subject, it would appear that our dilemma is that there is no easy way for use to fit into a 202x Wayfarer comfortably given the following:
  • Occupant weights (combined): 399 lbs., some of which we are working to lose in the next few years.
  • Pet weights (2 small dogs combined): 35 lbs.
  • E-Bikes (2 at 65 lbs. each): 130 lbs.

So at a staring capacity of 444+/- lbs. there isn’t much capacity for other essentials. And, I know that many of you have said to take only the bare essentials when we travel, and that’s our plan, but I don’t want weight management to be our chief concern each time we head out to our next destination.

We don’t plan to pull a toad as we want to minimize backing and U-turn issues.

So I will continue to monitor this issue since we won’t be making a purchase until sometime in 2022. I hope that Tiffin can do something to raise the OCCC, otherwise we’ll have to seriously considered purchasing a MH from another manufacturer that offers a much better OCCC.
Having owned a couple of Class A's, one of which we lived in for a year while building a house, I would never, ever consider full-timing in a Class C. We are really enjoying our Wayfarer RW but it would not be my choice for full-timing. Ever! Can it be done? Of course, but if you are really full-timing, meaning giving up your stick house completely, a Class C, any Class C, just won't give you room for many of life's essentials.

Based on our experience over the last 15 years and 100,000 plus Class A miles, you really should consider a 30+ foot Class A and tow a car for full-timing.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote