RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to zephers89 Send a message via Yahoo to zephers89
2020 Wayfarer OCCC rating low?

Hi:

We just bought a 2020 wayfarer 25qw. We just watched an Ultramobility video review of it (https://youtu.be/4tn2gGTB4L8). the reviewer made a big deal about the low OCCC. He said itís 682 which according to him if you add the humans + the fresh water tank full you have only 77 lbs left for cargo....

682 lbs
-160 lbs for Driver
-130 lbs for. Passenger
-315 lbs for the Fresh water tank full

= 77 lbs for everything else like clothes, food, bbq etc.

Well since the two of us weigh more than that we canít carry anything!

Is this true? Is he wrong??? Why does he include the weight of the fresh water tank full? Should it be?

Please advise.
zephers89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephers89 View Post
Hi:

We just bought a 2020 wayfarer 25qw. We just watched an Ultramobility video review of it (https://youtu.be/4tn2gGTB4L8). the reviewer made a big deal about the low OCCC. He said itís 682 which according to him if you add the humans + the fresh water tank full you have only 77 lbs left for cargo....

682 lbs
-160 lbs for Driver
-130 lbs for. Passenger
-315 lbs for the Fresh water tank full

= 77 lbs for everything else like clothes, food, bbq etc.

Well since the two of us weigh more than that we canít carry anything!

Is this true? Is he wrong??? Why does he include the weight of the fresh water tank full? Should it be?

Please advise.
Don't worry about it. These are just silly numbers that the government forces the manufactures to stick on the coaches. The axle ratings on your coach provide plenty of margin.

Be reasonable and enjoy your new Coach! Don't carry the football team to the game, load up your rock collection in the bays, or become a Snap-On tool salesman and you'll be fine.

The 2020 Wayfarer is Awesome. We've been very, very happy with ours so far.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
These are not “silly numbers”. These are numbers established by the chassis manufacturer, Mercedes, that assures safe operation at the maximum weight. This includes stopping distance, maneuvering capabilities, etc.

I suggest you buy something else - for example a Winnebago View with a similar floor plan will typically be over 1000 lbs of OCCC. Read the door sticker, it’s there for a reason.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
These are not ďsilly numbersĒ. These are numbers established by the chassis manufacturer, Mercedes, that assures safe operation at the maximum weight. This includes stopping distance, maneuvering capabilities, etc.

I suggest you buy something else - for example a Winnebago View with a similar floor plan will typically be over 1000 lbs of OCCC. Read the door sticker, itís there for a reason.
A lot of fear-mongering out there on this issue. My point is that the coach is perfectly safe to operate a few hundred pounds over the OCCC. There is a lot of very conservative engineering built into that number. I'm not losing any sleep over it and neither should anybody else.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #5

As noted, the OCCC is determined by the manufacturers based on lots of factors. It includes anything above and beyond how the RV is delivered from the manufacturer. The label has to include the maximum amount of fresh water the RV is designed to carry at a fixed weight per gallon.

If you don’t carry any water, you’ll have more weight available for yourselves, propane, food, clothes, gear, etc. It adds up fast, so you’ll have to be careful. It seems that you’ve already purchased the RV. If not, reconsider your model and floor plan and find one that has a higher OCCC.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We don't need no stinking safety perimeters........we know what we're doin
Watch this....and hold my beer !
Wayfarer:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/occc-weight-412657.html
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #7

Tiffin has failed in their design for Sprinter coaches. The water tank is too large, the diesel gen is heavier than the Propane. Adding levelers adds weight. Anyone who buys this will have a issue if you get in a wreck. Your insurance can say you overloaded the coach and they would be correct. Tiffin has had issues with the older Sprinter coaches as well. The easy fix is to buy the Mercedes 4500 chassis, Tiffin you could find yourself in a serious legal problem. What jury would side with them ?
Old 07-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
Tiffin has failed in their design for Sprinter coaches. The water tank is too large, the diesel gen is heavier than the Propane. Adding levelers adds weight. Anyone who buys this will have a issue if you get in a wreck. Your insurance can say you overloaded the coach and they would be correct. Tiffin has had issues with the older Sprinter coaches as well. The easy fix is to buy the Mercedes 4500 chassis, Tiffin you could find yourself in a serious legal problem. What jury would side with them ?
Oh look! Surprise! A Winnebago owner bashing Tiffin! I challenge you to show me one single example of an insurance policy that denied a claim because the coach was overloaded. Again, we have a lot of fear mongering going on around this issue.

Buy the coach you want, they are all perfectly safe. I've owned Winnebagos and loved them. I love my Tiffin Wayfarer. It's a great coach.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #9

On one hand I am tempted to say, sorry you made a stupid purchase decision, on the other hand I want to say that in a perfect world Tiffin produced a product that is not capable of performing its advertised function, and should refund your money or make it right.

While it is true that engineers include safety margins, they do so for a reason, in this case once you load it coach down with basic gear you are going to be several hundred pounds over the rated limit. This means added wear on suspension components, poor handling, braking that may not meet safety standards, etc.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Oh look! Surprise! A Winnebago owner bashing Tiffin! I challenge you to show me one single example of an insurance policy that denied a claim because the coach was overloaded. Again, we have a lot of fear mongering going on around this issue.

Buy the coach you want, they are all perfectly safe. I've owned Winnebagos and loved them. I love my Tiffin Wayfarer. It's a great coach.
Randy,
A lot of us Tiffin owners rejected the Wayfarer because of the OCCC problem. A few hundred pounds, like 200 lbs, isn't that big of deal but 600 lbs + overload is just plain dangerous on that chassis.

Justify all you want but it is hard to admit a mistake.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
On one hand I am tempted to say, sorry you made a stupid purchase decision, on the other hand I want to say that in a perfect world Tiffin produced a product that is not capable of performing its advertised function, and should refund your money or make it right.

While it is true that engineers include safety margins, they do so for a reason, in this case once you load it coach down with basic gear you are going to be several hundred pounds over the rated limit. This means added wear on suspension components, poor handling, braking that may not meet safety standards, etc.
And this is my point exactly. The engineers, in their infinite wisdom, specify safety margins, numbers, etc. that cover a very, very wide range of operating conditions. As motorhome owners, we occupy a small part of that space. We aren't driving our vehicles continuously, in city traffic, doing deliveries, stop and go operations, etc. The numbers the engineers throw at us are very conservative because they have to consider the wide range of applications the up-fitter might make to the unfinished chassis.

Let me give you an example. I'm a test pilot. During my evaluation of several different aircraft, the manufacturer was faced with a contractual weight issue. When they didn't meet the specs or fatigue life, do you know what they did? They pulled out their laptops and ginned up a different set of numbers. Wow, nothing changed with the aircraft but suddenly we could carry and additional X thousand pounds of ordnance and go another X hundred miles. Hmmmmm.

If you look at the axle ratings for the 2019 Sprinter chassis, and do the math, you'll see you have a lot more margin than the OCCC advertised. Personally, I consider all those numbers to be a commercial application constraint and one that simply isn't applicable to our recreational use vehicles. Hey, cross the Tiffin Wayfarer off your list for all I care. You'll miss out on a fantastic RV but, you'll be able to stay within those numbers!

I say again. You can buy any coach on the market, load it reasonably, and go enjoy your life. Your insurance company neither knows or cares and will pay any claims without question. This is simply a NON ISSUE!
Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #12

I am not a fan of WGO. I took my 15 View G and weighed it . I had HWH levelers and with two of us, lightly loaded, full water, food for a weekend, ext. I was 200 lbs over max. Mine has a 900 lbs OCCC. I took out everything not needed, drive with no or little water, I went 4 down on a 17 Ford Fiesta because of combined weight was OK, I move heavy tools, BBQ, propane tank to the Ford. I keep it near but below the max.
The Wayfarer IMHO suffers from Tiffin building old school with wood cabinets and poor design. I talked to WGO after my shock, here is a coach with less Weight capacity than my wifeís New Beatle. It has Seat belts for 4, 75 cf of storage and 900 lbs of OCCC. Not good. I like my View, but I wish I bought a Breeze. I also had to add, a Hellwig sway bar, Fox Shocks, heavy Sumo springs. My View does drive well and is OK, just.

I wish all of the Sprinter Coach builders would use the Mercedes 4500, it has a 1000 lbs more GVWR, it at list look like maybe $1,000 higher. There was a issue with top speed at 65 MPH, but that was removed.
WGO has done a better job with weight, they use Italian cabinets, the bathroom door is hollow and all cabinets are light, the counters are laminate. Tiffin builds heavy, not bad but OCCC suffers.
WGO does not offer levelers, 190 lbs and my View has a 31 gallon water tank. Most of the other Views has one slide and had 1200 lbs of OCCC.
Tiffin has a huge issue with the weight, Mercedes does not allow you run over weight and could refuse service, if you own a Wayfarer, please weigh it, remove anything you donít need for the trip, Run dry, use a gallon water in the bathroom. Never drive with more than two. A max weight you have about 4000 lbs to tow a car 4 down, a dolly adds too much to the coach, my car is light and I carry stuff.
Please understand this is not a trash Tiffin vs WGO, both need to use the 4500. I understand that WGO has not shipped the 19 chassis on the 20 View. Maybe theirs is too heavy with the large slide version.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I am not a fan of WGO. I took my 15 View G and weighed it . I had HWH levelers and with two of us, lightly loaded, full water, food for a weekend, ext. I was 200 lbs over max. Mine has a 900 lbs OCCC. I took out everything not needed, drive with no or little water, I went 4 down on a 17 Ford Fiesta because of combined weight was OK, I move heavy tools, BBQ, propane tank to the Ford. I keep it near but below the max.
The Wayfarer IMHO suffers from Tiffin building old school with wood cabinets and poor design. I talked to WGO after my shock, here is a coach with less Weight capacity than my wifeís New Beatle. It has Seat belts for 4, 75 cf of storage and 900 lbs of OCCC. Not good. I like my View, but I wish I bought a Breeze. I also had to add, a Hellwig sway bar, Fox Shocks, heavy Sumo springs. My View does drive well and is OK, just.

I wish all of the Sprinter Coach builders would use the Mercedes 4500, it has a 1000 lbs more GVWR, it at list look like maybe $1,000 higher. There was a issue with top speed at 65 MPH, but that was removed.
WGO has done a better job with weight, they use Italian cabinets, the bathroom door is hollow and all cabinets are light, the counters are laminate. Tiffin builds heavy, not bad but OCCC suffers.
WGO does not offer levelers, 190 lbs and my View has a 31 gallon water tank. Most of the other Views has one slide and had 1200 lbs of OCCC.
Tiffin has a huge issue with the weight, Mercedes does not allow you run over weight and could refuse service, if you own a Wayfarer, please weigh it, remove anything you donít need for the trip, Run dry, use a gallon water in the bathroom. Never drive with more than two. A max weight you have about 4000 lbs to tow a car 4 down, a dolly adds too much to the coach, my car is light and I carry stuff.
Please understand this is not a trash Tiffin vs WGO, both need to use the 4500. I understand that WGO has not shipped the 19 chassis on the 20 View. Maybe theirs is too heavy with the large slide version.
Thank you! A much more reasonable position but still I wonder why you are so concerned. Both Tiffin and Winnebago build nice coaches. I don't like the compromises that Winnebago makes to be able to publish a magic number OCCC. Who cares! I want what I want. I don't want cheap cabinets, paper walls, compressor refrigerators (its an RV!) and I sure has heck want auto-levelers! So, I'm willing to accept that I might be violating some slide rule-toting engineers version of acceptable and get on with my life. Trust me when I say, these engineer types aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Thank you! A much more reasonable position but still I wonder why you are so concerned. Both Tiffin and Winnebago build nice coaches. I don't like the compromises that Winnebago makes to be able to publish a magic number OCCC. Who cares! I want what I want. I don't want cheap cabinets, paper walls, compressor refrigerators (its an RV!) and I sure has heck want auto-levelers! So, I'm willing to accept that I might be violating some slide rule-toting engineers version of acceptable and get on with my life. Trust me when I say, these engineer types aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I agree with you as to your wants, please call Tiffin and ask them to use the 4500 Sprinter Chassis, you will not only get what you want, but get what you need.