Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #1

2022 Tiffin 34 PA issues

Hi there,

New to forum and just passing along our experience. We purchased a brand new 34pa from North Trail RV in Fort Meyers. We had a good dealer experience and took our first trip about 2 weeks later.

On our first excursion we had the following issues: drivers side power window slid right out of the track when we first opened it, had to wedge it back into place and never opened again. Our wood hamper basket in the closet completely came out and stayed out, the wrong screws were used to hold the track in place. We kept getting AC error codes on our front unit. The roof drain extenders we not sealed so the AC water just ran down the side of the coach and stained the body. We kept noticing our main driver side slide was partially open when we would go back to storage. Thankfully we got a recall notice that it was indeed a problem, the slide mechanism needed replaced. After we got the call from the dealer to pick it up 5 weeks later we were told to hold off as their was another recall on the propane valve and the roof now has a leak, water was found inside the passenger side light and on the dash :(
They had the AC fixed but it started throwing the error code again. Dealer has been good at keeping us updated but it just seems to be one thing after another. While we understand that you have to be prepared for these things on a new RV it just seems the Tiffin QC checks are not what they used to be.
tacopusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #2

Welcome to Thor construction quality!! Get'em out the door, let the dealer/customer worry about getting things fixed.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2020 34PA. Our clothes hamper also came loose. Way too much weight when full of clothes for the small screws used. I added extra and longer screws to hold the drawer slides in place. I also, did the same on all drawer slides throughout the coach. No problems since then. Also, had a problem with the power window on drivers side. It wasn't mounted properly. Had it corrected by the dealer.

No excuse for the poor workmanship regardless of the labor challenges arising from the pandemic shut downs. I would definitely write a letter Bob Tiffin and his son. Also, would recommend a trip to Red Bay, if you are in that area of the country, to have any additional problems fixed.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Welcome to Thor construction quality!! Get'em out the door, let the dealer/customer worry about getting things fixed.
It's going to be very interesting seeing how Tiffin quality / complaints hold up after the Thor acquisition.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #5

We have had numerous issues on our 2021 34PA.

7.3 V8 Engine spark plug wires (@ 5,000 miles) failed due to heat from headers, had to be towed for $1,900, which Ford covered. Replaced all spark plug wires with new design, no issues after that.

Bathroom cabinet door fell off due to tiny screws couldn't support the weight

Right front stabilizer bar attachment bolt came loose and fell off

Awning motor had to be replaced. It had never been used.

Awning wiring on roof was not secured at factory, see pic.

Ignition connection wire for dash panel, slides, etc., crimped during manufacture leaving bare wire, which was shorting out causing fuse to continue to blow. Took dealer three attempts to find the issue. Numerous weeks with unusable RV.

Middle of windshield stress crack from top to bottom. Tiffin covered the repair cost.

Layout is great but build problems were a constant problem in first year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Pic 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	376466  
Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2021 34PA and have been working through many issues as well. We're hoping most are fixed now and we can begin to enjoy the coach. If you have the time, money, and patience then hang in there, and from what we're told these are good coaches after all of the poor factory issues are worked out. You can see what our initial issues were in this post... https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/gen...ml#post6175731 ...and I could add some more to that list.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopusher View Post

On our first excursion we had the following issues: drivers side power window slid right out of the track when we first opened it, had to wedge it back into place and never opened again.
If you are talking about the automatic window bar that moves front to back, and the window fell out of that... happened to us too. I used Permatex 80050 silicone sealant to reattach it. The screws in the railing need to be loosened and it won't happen again. Just don't loosen them too much or the window will let in air and potentially water.
(https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8005...002UEPVI&psc=1).

Quote:
Our wood hamper basket in the closet completely came out and stayed out, the wrong screws were used to hold the track in place.
I noticed this too, we now use it to hold towels for the bathroom. I have added an additional wooden beam and attached another drawer slide to it. Much studier now.

One other thing to watch out for is Technical Service Bulletin # 20-2370. Depending on the actual year the engine was fastened to the chassis you may encounter this issue. If you get a check engine light when it's really hot outside, it could be due to this.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:07 AM   #8
Fio

The TSB above was the early build of the V-8 and was corrected. Search the forum, it lists the exact dates of chassis manufacturing that were affected. I had it happen to me

There are 2 other issues I've had with the Ford chassis. The wiper only functions on intermittent and low. If I turn it to high, it stops wiping The Ford service center has no answer for me and told me it is a 'known' issue. I want to call Tiffin and see what the deal is.

My third Ford issue was the emissions system. Kept getting a check engine light. Finally, on my 5th time leaving it at Ford to "fix", they replaced the computer and (knock on wood) it is back to normal. They tried replacing all the cheap parts first to no avail.

As far as the Tiffin quality, it isn't a Thor issue. The quality went down hill prior to the sale. I was VERY disappointed in my new 2021 Open Road 32SA workmanship. My trip to Red Bay to have the issues corrected was just as disappointing.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
So very happy and satisfied with my 2019 34PA. It's now worth more than I paid for it!! But I will NOT sell this reliable coach (to which I have made numerous modifications and upgrades) and buy a coach made in this new world order. So sad to see work ethics, product quality, and manufacturing leadership go down the tubes......God save us all.
COLPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:00 PM   #10

In Jan 2022 we bought a 2020 34PA from North Trail In Ft Meyers. I am glad I bought used, we have put 7000 miles on her since, and zero issues. Heading down to North Trail for an Inverter recall. Tha'st it. Then onward to Marathon for 2 weeks.

I am a firm beliver in low mileage used, as most bugs have been worked out.....At least I hope so :-)
CandP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 06:06 AM   #11

I was told by a very reliable RV body shop and repair that any coach built during the Covid era should be avoided. Workers were scarcer, parts that normally used, were replaced by whatever they could find but the demand to build them was greater. This comment looks to be true from the comments that I have read above. 2019 and older might be your best bet.
convictmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:10 AM   #12

You are lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopusher View Post
Hi there,

New to forum and just passing along our experience. We purchased a brand new 34pa from North Trail RV in Fort Meyers. We had a good dealer experience and took our first trip about 2 weeks later.

On our first excursion we had the following issues: drivers side power window slid right out of the track when we first opened it, had to wedge it back into place and never opened again. Our wood hamper basket in the closet completely came out and stayed out, the wrong screws were used to hold the track in place. We kept getting AC error codes on our front unit. The roof drain extenders we not sealed so the AC water just ran down the side of the coach and stained the body. We kept noticing our main driver side slide was partially open when we would go back to storage. Thankfully we got a recall notice that it was indeed a problem, the slide mechanism needed replaced. After we got the call from the dealer to pick it up 5 weeks later we were told to hold off as their was another recall on the propane valve and the roof now has a leak, water was found inside the passenger side light and on the dash :(
They had the AC fixed but it started throwing the error code again. Dealer has been good at keeping us updated but it just seems to be one thing after another. While we understand that you have to be prepared for these things on a new RV it just seems the Tiffin QC checks are not what they used to be.
Let me just add that your plight is an easy one and consider yourself lucky that the 2022 34PA you bought only has those small number of issues. We are still in a dog fight to try and get everything fixed on ours, some of it is stuff created once an item has been fixed. The service VP (JO) down there is trying his best and the team is so friendly, but we can tell you if necessary go to Red Bay, camp out, be steady, and eventually they will fix it all correctly (assuming you are retired and have plenty of time) or just keep your dealer working on it.

As others will attest, the quality we foolish Americans accept that you pay 200-250K (or $1M) for something that is poorly assembled and we keep putting up with it. What is the motivation for them to make a quality coach if people keep giving them millions and accepting the sh!t they are delivering?????

It is a large corporation so it is what it is, and with the problems we have had there is no one I know in the world that does not think they should have just pulled a replacement coach up to my door and apologized...yet no one above the Service VP has ever responded to us, NO ONE.
TheVardells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin