Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #1

2022 Tiffin Allegro Red 340, 38LL

Just saw this tiffin and love the floor plan. Can owners of a 2021/2022, provide feedback on the following concerns I have.

Are the Air Cushion Stabilizers satisfacory, I have only used hyadraulic levelers in my class A gas motorhome. I have heard of compressor noises and the unit wabbling, not being stable sometimes.

Is the 340 engine adequate in power when towing a 4500 pound vehicle.
I often find driving my gas rig at 15mph going up steep grades. Didn't want to be in that predicament again, if buying a diesel.

Do you perceive the a/c's to be noisy. I have an Allegro Open Road gas, and the a/c is a different system and runs quieter.

Thoughts in general.
If you have a 38LL, please dont take offense to my questions, these are based upon comments I have picked up doing some research.
laroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Just my opinion nothing else. The 340 38LL is a great floor plan. But for a few bucks more you can upgrade to a Red 360. You will get a bigger engine, more torque, 10K Towing capacity, HWH Leveling jacks system, upgraded decor, sliding step cover, and more. Plus you also get a raised rail Freight liner chassis.

PAM
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #3

Are happy with your 33AA, how about inside and outside storage? What kind of mpg do you get while towing? Thanks in advance.
laroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by laroli View Post
Are happy with your 33AA, how about inside and outside storage? What kind of mpg do you get while towing? Thanks in advance.
Just got our 2021 Red 33 AA. The funny thing is the Red 33 AA has LESS storage than our previous 2019 Open Road 32SA. Don't forget you have that diesel engine in the back that takes up storage bay space.

But that huge sliding bay tray helps a lot. No more searching in what bay I put things in. It's BIG and Strong and can slid out from both sides of the coach.

I only drove the coach home 145 mils towing a Jeep Sahara 4 door, around 4700 lbs. According to trip monitor I was getting around 8 MPG.

Inside storage is no problem for us. Remember with the 360 Red you get 4 slides. I opted for the Teleavator set up for dining. We really like that.

I have a road I take to get home RT 502 North in PA. The last leg is about a 4 mile 5% grade. The Red took this at about 45 to 50 MPH pulling the toad. Speed limit was 45 MPH. IMOP I would not want the smaller diesel engine. But that's just me.

I didn't have a lot of time to spend with my PDI and rushed through it, my dealer took care of everything I asked a few small items. They also went through the coach before I got there and fixed a few of items.

Got it Friday, testing everything I can at home. In two days, found a latch in storage bay compartment where the fuses are has to be put back on. My three solar panels control box is showing gobbly gook figures. Rear back vanity bedroom electric slide got stuck, learned how to reset and re-synch from dealer phone call, took 30 seconds and works fine. I also had my dealer install a Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer. Had one on my previous coach and loved it.

Running the heck out of AC's, slides, HWH Jacks, I installed snap pads, set up stereo, TV's and Navigation. So far so good. I do have a wider space at left hinges than I like on front bay door, but that is no big deal.

So far so good. This is my third coach, second DP, first DP was Itasca Meridian 36G. I am still a Tiffin fan.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #5

I bought a new 2021 38LL in April.
The floor plan is ideal for me. I didn't like the 33 floor plan, or the fact that it was a total electric unit, with the heating system running on diesel.

You questions. I pulled a 2017 Malibu (3600 lbs) from Oklahoma to Florida, to Myrtle beach SC and back the Oklahoma. The 340 Hp was fine with me. I had upgraded to this from a v-10 36 foot Gulfstream. The v-10 had more acceleration on take off, but it also weighed 10,000 lbs less. the tork on this unit makes up for that. I got 5.9 mpg on my gas rig. I got 10.5 mpg on this trip with the 38LL. I was not a fan of not having "landing gear" on this rig. It is pretty stable in normal situations, but in 30 mph winds in will move a little as gusts catch it while setup in a RV spot. I currently have an issue with it staying level overnight. You discussed a pump noise. My pump will not run to keep it level. Tiffin has helped me trouble shoot it and I am waiting to get a relay replaced to correct the problem. There are also some real advantages to not having "landing gear" as well. I don't have to worry about twisting the frame, or lifting the frame off the airbags (a big nono!), or putting the landing gear down on top of a concrete parking bumper, etc.
The HP is fine for me. I can't pull my car faster than 65mph due to the car's manufacturer recommendation. I've gone up some 4% grades and the transmission had downshifted nicely as low as 4th gear. I don't believe I've gone slower than about 50 mph on grades. Since its heavier than my old rig, it flies down the hills and I like the engine brake that's on the rig.
We are planning a trip to Albuquerque in 3 weeks, so I'll see how it handles the I-40 grades into town.
All in all, this floor plan is my favorite of all the coaches I looks at.
The storage is so much more than I had before. I have storage room to spare after taking everything, including a inflatable 6 person raft, fishing poles, air compressor, portable grill, and all the tools and stuff I might need in an emergency. I also take a water softener with me now too.
Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210615_201019.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	342643
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Just got our 2021 Red 33 AA. The funny thing is the Red 33 AA has LESS storage than our previous 2019 Open Road 32SA. Don't forget you have that diesel engine in the back that takes up storage bay space.

But that huge sliding bay tray helps a lot. No more searching in what bay I put things in. It's BIG and Strong and can slid out from both sides of the coach.

I only drove the coach home 145 mils towing a Jeep Sahara 4 door, around 4700 lbs. According to trip monitor I was getting around 8 MPG.

Inside storage is no problem for us. Remember with the 360 Red you get 4 slides. I opted for the Teleavator set up for dining. We really like that.

I have a road I take to get home RT 502 North in PA. The last leg is about a 4 mile 5% grade. The Red took this at about 45 to 50 MPH pulling the toad. Speed limit was 45 MPH. IMOP I would not want the smaller diesel engine. But that's just me.

I didn't have a lot of time to spend with my PDI and rushed through it, my dealer took care of everything I asked a few small items. They also went through the coach before I got there and fixed a few of items.

Got it Friday, testing everything I can at home. In two days, found a latch in storage bay compartment where the fuses are has to be put back on. My three solar panels control box is showing gobbly gook figures. Rear back vanity bedroom electric slide got stuck, learned how to reset and re-synch from dealer phone call, took 30 seconds and works fine. I also had my dealer install a Safety Plus Steering Stabilizer. Had one on my previous coach and loved it.

Running the heck out of AC's, slides, HWH Jacks, I installed snap pads, set up stereo, TV's and Navigation. So far so good. I do have a wider space at left hinges than I like on front bay door, but that is no big deal.

So far so good. This is my third coach, second DP, first DP was Itasca Meridian 36G. I am still a Tiffin fan.

Jim P.
Funny thing you mention about storage. We just came back from a month long trip covering the Rockies and decided our 32SA just wasn’t cutting what we needed so are buying a Red 33AA now. When I looked at the storage in the 33AA, I got a bit concerned as it was quite small compared to the 32SA. After going back and spending another 3+ hours in the rig, we have sorted out what will work. You’re right about that center bay slide. Just have to be creative about how you pack it as the raised rail in the middle only gives about 14” of clearance in the middle of the tray. With the 33AA, I am packing what I need vs nice to have, just in case.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, tiffin