Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #1

2022 Wayfarer Inverter

I just bought a new Wayfarer (yes, very hard to find and expensive ). All I wanted is for my wife to make me some nachos while driving down the road last night to give me a boost! Microwave clock lights weren't even on. Also the two electrical plugs near the sink would not work. I have a 2000watt inverter and was told this was enough to power the microwave. Is there an easy fix for this? I reset everything I could think of to no avail. Both plugs and microwave work when on shore power. Thanks for any input.
JonMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Was the inverter turned on on the control panel???
Ranger Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #3

My 2000w inverter on my Phaeton has never been able to run the microwave. Always have to use the generator or shore power. Not sure what you were told is correct.
Abjrjrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Was the inverter turned on on the control panel???
Yes, it was powering lights throughout the coach. I've seen the YouTube walk throughs that say the new 2000 watt inverter can power the microwave and also my dealer said this. If all of this info is false, shouldn't it at least be able to power the clock on the microwave? It was completely blank.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMcD View Post
Yes, it was powering lights throughout the coach. I've seen the YouTube walk throughs that say the new 2000 watt inverter can power the microwave and also my dealer said this. If all of this info is false, shouldn't it at least be able to power the clock on the microwave? It was completely blank.
The lights are 12v and will work whether the inverter is on or not. Check your Spyder panel to see if the inverter is turned on. The microwave draws about 14 amps (1680 watts) so it's pretty close to max but should work.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The lights are 12v and will work whether the inverter is on or not. Check your Spyder panel to see if the inverter is turned on. The microwave draws about 14 amps (1680 watts) so it's pretty close to max but should work.
I see that the inverter has lights on and it shows on shore power with no battery draw (right now as I'm plugged in) I assume this means it's on - not sure why it wouldn't be. I can say that I tried pushing the power button that is on it and nothing changed either way - I thought this was strange too.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #7

Unplug and see if it turns on and shows Inverting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Unplug and see if it turns on and shows Inverting.
It is on and powered up, just doesn't power the plugs by the sink or the microwave. What else is it suppose to power? Does it power the water pump or is that powered directly to the 12V like the lights? I'm still waiting for a tech to call me back. Would like to get some real world feedback though. Thanks for all who have responded.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The water pump is direct 12v powered. If you could post a photo of your inverter control panel or the brand and model it might be easier to help you out. The 2021 Wayfarer manual is the most recent one on the Tiffin site and it says nothing about an inverter in the Wayfarer, only the 120v to 12v converter. It does say to use a microwave, you must be plugged into shore power or on generator.
Quote:
NOTE: The microwave operates on 120-
VOLT only. To use the microwave you
must have the shoreline plugged into
either a campground receptacle or the
generator outlet
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I ended up making labels with a P-touch label maker that said either "Inverter" or "S/G Only" to signify what worked through the inverter and what would only work if connected to shore power or with the generator running. No matter how many times I tried to remember which plugs or things would work with just the inverter running, I'd forget. Now that every plug / device has a label on it I get less frustrated.

Best,
-Mark
Old 11-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The water pump is direct 12v powered. If you could post a photo of your inverter control panel or the brand and model it might be easier to help you out. The 2021 Wayfarer manual is the most recent one on the Tiffin site and it says nothing about an inverter in the Wayfarer, only the 120v to 12v converter. It does say to use a microwave, you must be plugged into shore power or on generator.
Inverter on shore power and without shore power:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F86FB054-FF0F-4B4D-8983-B84456BEC48A.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	349661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	349662  

Old 11-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #12

Xantrex Freedom 2000 operating instructions

I found this manual on-line. Several portions suggest possible causes of the behavior.

https://www.xantrex.com/documents/Po...Rev-F)_ENG.pdf

see page 52 for ignition settings

Ignition Control The Freedom X provides two user-selectable options for ignition control:
n Ignition Auto-on: The Freedom X can automatically turn the inverter on and off in tandem with the vehicle's ignition circuit or a manually operated remote switch.
n Ignition Lockout: The Freedom X features the ability to inhibit the inverter from operating in the absence of a voltage signal from a vehicle's ignition circuit. This is particularly useful if the inverter is required to operate only when a vehicle's engine is running

Page 55 shows error shut down recovery procedure
Page 56 58 show expected battery mode operation

Testing in Battery Mode To test the Freedom X:
1. For hard wired installations, ensure shore power is not
present.
2. Press the Power button to turn the inverter on. The green status indicator LED for Battery mode (Inverter mode) is illuminated. See Status LED Indicators onpage44.
3. Plug a test load, such as a lamp within the power rating of the inverter into the Freedom X GFCI or an AC outlet hard wired to the Freedom X.
4. Turn the lamp on to verify that it operates.
If the lamp operates, your installation is successful. If your installation has AC input and output hard wired to the Freedom X, proceed to Testing in Grid Mode.
If the status LED on the display panel glows red, see the Troubleshooting chapter.

Page 44 and 47 show screen and LED for normal inverter operation.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #13

Update to my inverter issue in case someone runs across this thread in the future:

I was able to speak to a technician from Winfield, AL home of Tiffin Wayfarer. He said that although the 2000w inverter was powerful enough to run the microwave they do not leave the factory with the microwave hooked up to it. I can have them hook it up at my expense. Do not understand why they couldn't have it already hooked up if for nothing else so my microwave clock doesn't have to be reset every time I disconnect from shore power! Also, the outlet by the sink are not hooked up and CANNOT be hooked up at all. (some legal fire issue)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have a Wayfarer, but my inverter only runs the residential refrigerator, televisions and four of my ac electrical outlets (not all outlets).
I understand about having to set the microwave clock everytime you hook back to shorepower or generator. My wife is a time watcher so she sets it while setting up at the campground as part of her routine.
We run our generator whenever we want to use the microwave while traveling and that helps to keep it exercised, so we don't mind that.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter