Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

21 40IP driving characteristics - for a newbe

I've put over 3,000 miles of "of white knuckle driving" under my belt... The initial delivery, in April, included all tires at 125 psi, and the steering seemed "floaty and loose". I called Tiffin, after 2,000 miles or so, they recommended lowering tire pressure to 115 front, and 95 rear with some improvement, but still "floaty & loose". We dropped by Safe-T-plus in GA enroute to FL... some improvement but still floaty and loose". We are in Red Bay waiting our turn to get stuff fixed and adjusted. Any suggestions?
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Weigh the coach and use the tire manufacturers inflation chart.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is this your first large coach? The Tiffin buses handle great. First thing is to get it weighed and adjust the tires pressures correctly. Our bus handles like a dream.
If this is your first coach, you might be driving it like a car. Don’t forget, you’re sitting in front of the front axle and you may be over compensating in your steering. Don’t look right In Front of you but about 4-5 car lengths at least.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks both of you... I will get it weighed and use the 2021 power glide tire weight chart... As this is my first RV I was extending my vision perhaps too far down the road... Will try as you suggest... I do have several reference spots on the dash and wiper blade to double check lane bounderies.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

What are the usual places to get each axil weighed? LOVES, other truck stops etc?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
With only a few thousand miles under your belt, you probably don't quite have a solid feel to what should be a normal driving experience. White knuckle driving could be too much of a stranglehold on the wheel when its not needed, or just a bit of anxiety. I think everybody is different with that. You'll do fine, we all had to go thru it.
The Safe T plus should have tightened things up a bit more for sure. Cheap insurance would be a front end alignment if it was not done at the install of the Safe t plus.

I think you will find Tiffin's tire pressure numbers will be just about spot on. That is where I run my numbers after 4 corner weight in Gaffney. But get your rigged weighed, that way you know where you stand on how you loaded your rig. Any of the major truck plaza's will have a scale and axle weights will get you in the ballpark. Try to have a full tank of fuel and 90 gallons of water (or beer) before you weigh.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:42 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLuk View Post
What are the usual places to get each axil weighed? LOVES, other truck stops etc?
CAT scales are at many truck stops. They have an app to find scales and another to operate them and get your weigh ticket without having to leave your vehicle.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:35 AM   #8

Thanks everyone... I will checkout the CAT application... & fuel & water weight.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #9

I take zero credit for this post. It was written by “Betr2Trvl” last year. I took a screen shot and referred to it often learning to drive our gasser.

“And take your time to get used to driving your RV.

I usually don’t get involved in “handling” discussions (like most people, I’m getting bored and stir crazy at home, so I’ll jump in for a change) because much of each person’s perspective is due to their driving style and type of driving experiences they have had in their life. A big RV, with a high center of gravity exaggerates many things that you seldom feel in your normal everyday driving of your car.

Look down the road, relax your grip on the steering wheel. Don’t try to “point it” and be constantly trying to make small corrections because at that point you are chasing it and it will be a never ending cycle that becomes the tail wagging the dog creating a lot of dynamic weight transfer that can create a very unsettled feeling.

Brake early for corners so that you are braking in a straight line down to a speed for the slowest part of a corner before you start your turn (yes, that means you have to look further down the corner) to again control dynamic weight transfer. You’ll feel like you may be over slowing, but it’s a lot better than having to add brake mid corner which just shifts more weight to the outside front corner. This is just as true on the interstate as it is anywhere else.....

Breath a little and relax, and again, a light grip with both hands on the wheel at all times. Also try sitting more upright and closer to the wheel to gain leverage and ease your back and shoulders.

And load distribution makes a huge difference in handling. You don’t want a lot of weight way behind the rear axle (exaggerates tail wagging the dog) and / or a light front end (steering wander).

Don’t just start throwing parts at it until you’ve got at at least 3000 if not 5000 miles under your belt.

BTW, your dealer doesn’t make any money with those suggestions

Good luck!”

It was great advice for me.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
The suspensions on Tiffin products is first class. I suspect you want your new rig to drive more like your car which it will never do. Remember it’s more or less a bus not a Porsche.

Sit back, relax but stay vigilant while driving down the road. Stop every couple of hours to stretch your legs and take a break. You have to “drive” these rigs 100% of the time unlike a car on the highway. We plan for just a little over 300 miles a day so are never in a hurry. My sweet spot for speed is 67. Good mileage and not loafing down the road.

Know your route well before you take off in the morning. No surprises. I love two lane over all the hectic traffic on a freeway or interstate highway. And normally better scenery.

Maybe it’s kind of like golf. Once I realized I did not have to squeeze the heck out my clubs and relax my grips I did much better.

I hope you learn to enjoy your new rig. I do mine and can’t wait for the next time to get back on the road.

Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #11

THANKS EVERYONE! We had Bay Diesel, Red Bay check the safe-t-plus strut and a slight adjustment made a big difference... Now fingertip steering is a breeze! (along with many of everyone's advice above.) May not need a new alignment! They recommend that when an alignment is performed also adjust the safe-t-plus.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Is this your first large coach? The Tiffin buses handle great. First thing is to get it weighed and adjust the tires pressures correctly. Our bus handles like a dream.

If this is your first coach, you might be driving it like a car. Don’t forget, you’re sitting in front of the front axle and you may be over compensating in your steering. Don’t look right In Front of you but about 4-5 car lengths at least.

Gary is right on the money! We taught the Smith System advanced driving to all our drivers of commercial vehicles.

The Smith System emphasizes five keys to safe driving. The company teaches drivers (1) to aim high in steering, meaning that drivers are taught to look farther down the road for potentially unsafe situations. A good average is to look down the road to the point the vehicle will be 15 seconds later.

You’ll have to practice this and train your eyes to look further down the road. Some advantages are seeing hazards sooner, pacing traffic lights and maintaining vehicle position in the middle of the lane. Also by looking way down the road and as far into the turn as possible. You'll notice your turns are not only smoother, but you're being safer, too. [emoji613]
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:47 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I recommend using the tire manufacturer’s tables to determine appropriate weights.

It is likely best to get weights at all four corners but that is difficult to do. I believe the Escapees web site might have sources for that. Certainly, front and rear weights should put you pretty close. It is amazing what a couple of pounds +/- can make
jubilee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I’ve found that what works for me, is to look ahead and adjust to keep my body on the line between the dark center area and the lighter traveled area on the left of the lane. It will pretty much center you in the lane. Occasionally checking the wide angle mirrors on the sides will confirm your position in the lane.

2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus
Frbear is offline   Reply With Quote