Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2022, 04:40 AM   #1

32 SA Step Motor Replacement

I am on my third step motor 2017 32 SA. Tiffin parts asking about $175, a big price jump. Purchased a unit on amazon delivered for $53. Installed yesterday works fine and the motor is much quieter than any prior step motor replacement. We will see how long it lasts. I may just buy a second motor to have on hand. Does anyone else have experience with inexpensive motor replacement?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2022, 06:07 AM   #2

step motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
I am on my third step motor 2017 32 SA. Tiffin parts asking about $175, a big price jump. Purchased a unit on amazon delivered for $53. Installed yesterday works fine and the motor is much quieter than any prior step motor replacement. We will see how long it lasts. I may just buy a second motor to have on hand. Does anyone else have experience with inexpensive motor replacement?
I replaced mine on 2016 Ventana, about two weeks ago. Bought on Amazon, ordered extra one, to keep with box of spares. Never want to use step ladder to exit enter my coach on 5000 mile trip again!
Tallguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced one with an Amazon special - 3 years ago - still working great.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I've replaced a few myself on my current and prior MH's. I always carry a spare step motor with me when we travel.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #5

My 2015 32SA still has the original step motor. I do carry a spare. It's odd how quickly they are dying on you.

Make sure to periodically lubricate all of the pivots, and never put weight on the step until it is fully extended.

I find Tiffin parts prices to be high, particularly after adding their shipping costs. So I only consider Tiffin for parts if its something that I can't get anywhere else.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
2021 34PA
I just replaced ours yesterday with the one linked below from Amazon. I already had this as a spare on hand after reading about all of the failures. My wife sat a Starbucks plastic cup on the bottom step and closed the door - cup was sucked between top and bottom step and jammed them. It would sure be nice if a fuse would blow instead of just burning up the motor. Will have to see how this replacement motor works over time, but it fit well and appears to be a good almost exact replacement. I guess I'll buy another spare now - Amazon has $5 coupon listed for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My door switch was bad and allowing the motor to short cycle when were were moving which ruined 3 motors in less than a year. The wife saw the step cycle one day and and that's how we discovered it. We haven't had a motor failure since replacing the door switch.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:56 AM   #8

Thanks for the feedback.
I may as well pick up another $50 spare to go with my spare water pump. I regularly perform PM, lubricating my step hinges and clevis pin on the gearbox
Old 08-20-2022, 04:00 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandcbend View Post
2021 34PA
I just replaced ours yesterday with the one linked below from Amazon. I already had this as a spare on hand after reading about all of the failures. My wife sat a Starbucks plastic cup on the bottom step and closed the door - cup was sucked between top and bottom step and jammed them. It would sure be nice if a fuse would blow instead of just burning up the motor. Will have to see how this replacement motor works over time, but it fit well and appears to be a good almost exact replacement. I guess I'll buy another spare now - Amazon has $5 coupon listed for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like the 3-year protection plan for $5.99.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
My door switch was bad and allowing the motor to short cycle when were were moving which ruined 3 motors in less than a year. The wife saw the step cycle one day and and that's how we discovered it. We haven't had a motor failure since replacing the door switch.
Interesting and good information. My step failure occurred with a partial extension and then retraction of the steps when outside the coach. The partial extension of the steps prompted me to shut the door which led to the partial step retraction and failure.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:02 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Sometimes it is just a bad connection on the motor plug. Bench test your old motor with a 12 v battery. Mine step would occasionally fail, and troubleshooting via the lippert guidance pointed to motor. Repaced and turned out to be a bumm connection as old motor worked on the bench after cleaning the plug.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:15 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, I just followed kandcbend's link and got a motor for $44 less a $5 coupon. I don't need one now, but $40 for a spare is a good deal.
I have bought off Amazon before at a much higher price. 3 months ago I bought one from ebay for under $50. In the past 5 years with 2 Tiffins, I have used about 5-6 motors. I don't see any difference between these Chinese motors and the OEM from Quickee.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #13

We are on our tenth Rv and have never replaced a step motor or a water pump. Have had other problems with the step.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
I also bought one from Amazon for about the same price so far it works fine and also is quieter installed on 2011 Allegro Breeze
Reno Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, motor, replace, replacement