Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

33AA Ladder Interference

As I posted in a previous thread the F-150 that we tow comes dangerously close to the ladder if I have to make a sharp right turn.
This is just how close it comes when pulling out of the driveway. I had to stop to prevent damage. It didn't hit but I can't fit a finger between the ladder and the bumper.
The towbar is a Blue Ox Avail that's supposed to be longer than the others so this doesn't happen.
I also looked at adding an extension but then the tow rating is dropped to 4000# and I would have to get longer cables.
I don't know why Tiffin decided to go with a full ladder instead of the 2 piece like most other diesels have.
I see Phaetons all over that have the 2 piece ladders.
I sent an email to Tiffin with the pic and asked for their recommendations before we head out to Red Bay. I can either remove the entire ladder and give it back to them or chop off some of the lower part but I don't want to drive it this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder Interference.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	235354  
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just another of example of engineers who never have used a RV.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

I asked this question earlier and everyone with the full ladder on their 33AA said they've never had a problem.
Either they haven't had to make a really tight RH turn or Tiffin did something different with this one.
I thought the ladder stanchions looked like they placed the ladder farther from the back of the RV. My suspicion is now confirmed.
It'll be interesting to hear what Tiffin has to say about it.
I certainly hope that their customer service is as great as most here say.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

I deleted the ladder on my soon to be delivered Phaeton, because I thought that the "full length" ladder was just plain ugly. Looks like I might have another reason to be happy that I did.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the extension. I have Roadmaster cables with a Roadmaster towbar and they reach fine. I wouldn’t be concerned unless you were not towing four down and there was tongue weight involved. Been doing this for years and thousands of miles. I never need to be concerned turning tight, especially when needing to to fuel up.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
As far as ladder preference, I have no idea what Tiffin prefers, but I think what they actually install is based on practicality. The Zephyr, Bus and Phaeton have 2-part ladders because they have to. Installing a full length ladder on a Zephyr, Bus or Phaeton would block the engine access door. The engine access door on the Red is narrow enough that a full length ladder does not interfere with it. In fact, I see this with a lot of the manufacturers, the only coaches to have 2-part ladders are pushers with full-width engine access doors. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, so this will not always be the case.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #7

I cut off the lower part of the ladder just below the last support on my 2018 33AA.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
As far as ladder preference, I have no idea what Tiffin prefers, but I think what they actually install is based on practicality. The Zephyr, Bus and Phaeton have 2-part ladders because they have to. Installing a full length ladder on a Zephyr, Bus or Phaeton would block the engine access door. The engine access door on the Red is narrow enough that a full length ladder does not interfere with it. In fact, I see this with a lot of the manufacturers, the only coaches to have 2-part ladders are pushers with full-width engine access doors. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, so this will not always be the case.

You apparently are not aware that the new Phaeton has a one piece ladder. That's why I deleted it on my new order. Not sure about the Bus.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #9

I sent the pics to Tiffin. They told me to cut off the lower part of the ladder if I didn't want to risk driving it. We're headed to Red Bay and hope to be there on Sunday. That is if the terrible weather they're having doesn't alter the plans.
The rep I spoke with said they're having a meeting to discuss this issue.
I hope to have more for the group when we return.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

Here's what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder-Lower Removed.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	235543  
Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #11

Shame it messed up the paint
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
You apparently are not aware that the new Phaeton has a one piece ladder. That's why I deleted it on my new order. Not sure about the Bus.

You apparently did NOT read the last sentence in my post.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
Shame it messed up the paint
I'm hoping Red Bay will make that right when we visit next week.