Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

34PA Gas or go to a diesel

I haven't purchased one yet but I'm debating on gas or diesel model in the Tiffin line-up. Seems like there is a huge price difference between the two. Is it worth it? I plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler and would like to travel into the mountains. Do I really need the diesel to not have any concerns with towing or just not tow in those areas? Seeking advice.
blnsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blnsfn2 View Post
I haven't purchased one yet but I'm debating on gas or diesel model in the Tiffin line-up. Seems like there is a huge price difference between the two. Is it worth it? I plan to tow a Jeep Wrangler and would like to travel into the mountains. Do I really need the diesel to not have any concerns with towing or just not tow in those areas? Seeking advice.
gas ...whole lot cheaper!! if your from ..mine is bigger than yours club.. then diesel! many have gas and travel everywhere and tow.. up to you
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Unless your a fairly good mechanic, I would go with the gas. Pricing and easier to get service on the gas. I've been pulling a Jeep Liberty since 2008 and have never had a problem pulling with V10 Fords. Dave
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #4

Class A Gas much cheaper to maintain oil change you less then 50.00 diesel oil change you do 150.00 or better. To many other factors to list.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Fulltime traveling, get a diesel. It seems a shame to let a $40,000 drive train sit in a CG or backyard

Just camping weekends or weeks at a time get a gas engine. It will climb the mountains with the diesels.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Drive both and then YOU make the decision. It's not just the motor, it's the entire drive train and chassis that makes the difference. I don't know anybody that went from diesel to gas, but I know lots of people that went from gas to diesel, most within their first year.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Drive both, there are other factors. Engine noise was a major one for us. DW doesn't want to sit in the passenger seat, and we couldn't hear each other when she was farther back in the coach. The diesel with the engine all the way in the back is so quiet, we can talk again. Point is, there are more reasons...drive them.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

When we were weekend campers we had a gas coach. It pulled our Jeep Wrangler just fine, we loved it.
When we went full time, we needed more carrying capacity, wanted more amenities, and are driving more, so we went with a diesel.
A lot depends on how you are using the vehicle.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't believe this is a matter of a "mine is bigger than your club" mentality as quoted above. We had two DP's, the last being 42' and wanted to downsize. We decided on a front gas for economic reasons and were able to trade almost even for a 33'. After about a year and a half we decided to either look at new diesels or quit RVing after 40 years . We found the 33aa RED, the same size as the gas we had, bit the bullet and took a major (and I do mean major) loss and bought it. The differences between driving gas and diesel are major in my opinion and has nothing to do with impressing anyone. It would be very easy to go from gas to diesel but for us from diesel to gas almost ended a lot of happy years traveling. Drive them both and make an educated, economic choice that fits your lifestyle and pocket book then enjoy.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
Drive both, there are other factors. Engine noise was a major one for us. DW doesn't want to sit in the passenger seat, and we couldn't hear each other when she was farther back in the coach. The diesel with the engine all the way in the back is so quiet, we can talk again. Point is, there are more reasons...drive them.

Noise is not a problem with gasser. Try talking to your dw at the back of your DP.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
KJR

We almost bought a 2019 34PA a couple of days ago. Prior to the orientation and signing papers we test drove our unit. At 55 to 60 mph a loud whine emanating from the rear of the coach was heard. Don’t know if it was tires or drive train. Don’t think it was the road surface as the whine went away below and above those speeds. Test drove a second 34PA on their lot and same issue. We decided not to purchase. I’ve test driven another make of gas class A and didn’t experience this noise. The 34PA has a 252” wheel base which seems the longest of gas class As. No sure if that has something to do with the noise I heard. There was no way I could drive several hours with that noise.

We dont want to spend the additional $50k to $60k for a Diesel engine and chassis since the interior of the Open Road And Reds are the same. You’d be forced to use truck stop diesel a lot which is always higher than the convenience store station down the road that sells diesel which you can’t fit in. These truck stops often hav RV islands that sell gas without the up charge. Then there is the maintenance of the Diesel engine and chassis and air brake system.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

For me, this decision had EVERYTHING to do with usage. My wife and I often say that we would prefer our first 15' travel trailer for our overnight trips around home. But that rig would kill us now on an 8 week trip.

We may own deisel someday, but it won't be until we travel more than 10k miles a year, and that may never happen.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #13

We almost pulled the trigger on a 34PA a couple of weeks ago. It was almost exactly how we would order. The salesman didn't give me a good deal on our trade and I am now thankful.

We have since toured a 2013 Phaeton that belongs to one of the couples that are staying where we are and I am now thinking a used Phaeton may be a better way to go. I realize the maintenance is more, etc. and all the usual arguments, however my concern is going downhill not uphill. I currently have a Workhorse chassis and it will pull my coach and towed vehicle up any hill I can find. However, the down the other side can be nerve racking. So we are now looking at used diesels to get the exhaust brake for our future travels out west.

l can find a used Phaeton in the 2012-2013 model year for equivalent up front cost as the discounted new 34PA so it becomes a viable option. Not sure I would buy new as some of the coaches coming from the factory seem to have a lot of issues. This is true of all manufacturers as they seem to be just cranking them out to meet demand.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #14

Do you NEED a diesel, no, but if you drive one you will want one. That's why I never drove one until I was financially able to purchase one.

Tags
diesel, gas