Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

36 Phaeton vs 36 Thor Tuscanny

I know this is stupid asking a question as this on the Tiffin network but does anyone know anything about this Thor or Thor, in general re warranty work, etc. I had an Allegro QRP but decided to downsize. I like the 36 Tuscanny floor plan but not sure about leaving the Tiffin "family". They are about the same MSRP and each has its good points, at least on the surface. The dealer will offer a better deal on the Thor but I am hesitating. Any advise on this coach and the choice.
Rwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

When you say "Thor", are you talking about Thor Industries that owns many other RV companies, like Forest River and Fleetwood? If so, I would say that Tiffin is a solid step above Thor. I looked for more than three months last year for a used MH and settled on my 2002 Tiffin Phaeton DP. I test drove and closely inspected a Bounder, Damon, Georgetown, Holiday Rambler, and a Monaco. With the exception of the Monaco, the Phaton was clearly above the others in fit-and-finish and driveablity.

Of course, this is purely subjective and my opinion...others will probably chime in with their thoughts.

DV
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do you ever listen to the Podcast "Living the RV Dream"? John and Cathy, hosts of the podcasts, took a few tours of RV manufacturers last fall. Thor did not score well.

I kind of followed Thor when we still had a fifth wheel. Again, good looking products but poor construction and engineering.

Everyone has to make their own decision, however.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Strange that you have to ask, you owned a Tiffin and think Thor is comparable - no way
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

I own a Newmar and i will never change it for a Thor i am talking about quality product
and i think Thiffin is about the same quality of Newmar
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments but I never made the judgement that they are comparable but this is why I asked as I was unfamilar with the Tuscany by Thor. All RVs has problems and Tiffin is certaintly not immune, however, they do stand behind their product. The trips to Red Bay can, however, does get old. I am looking for a reliable rv if not the Tuscany then maybe a Newmar, which I will take a look at. Good discussions in any event.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

By the way, what have been your experiences with your 36 Journey? Journey is another one that I will take a look at.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Had a Tuscanny and have now traded it in for a Tiffin.
IMHO the Tiffin quality is sooo much better.
For what it is worth my first Class A was a 2010 Georgetown 37.8 and although it was pretty, the quality was just not there.
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntesy View Post
Thanks for your comments but I never made the judgement that they are comparable but this is why I asked as I was unfamilar with the Tuscany by Thor. All RVs has problems and Tiffin is certaintly not immune, however, they do stand behind their product. The trips to Red Bay can, however, does get old. I am looking for a reliable rv if not the Tuscany then maybe a Newmar, which I will take a look at. Good discussions in any event.
We've been looking at the Newmar 3610 verses the Tiffin Open Road 36 LA. I'm convinced the construction is better on the Newmar (I have a 2008 Allegro Bay) so we thought we would sacrifice a little on the looks for better construction. We could not get over Newmar being only a 22,000 lb chassis and a membrane roof (Tiffin is 24,000 lb and fiberglas roof).
I'd like Newmar to build my 36 LA cause I want my cake and to eat it too.
dupedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

So now Thor owns American coach. We american owners are sure glad to hear that, I was worried Fleetwood owned American and a investment group owned Fleetwood. What a relief! Come on now??
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #11

Oh since American is OWNED by Thor I guess the American Eagle, one of the best up class MH built can not compare to Tiffin, Correct?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntesy View Post
By the way, what have been your experiences with your 36 Journey? Journey is another one that I will take a look at.
We love our Journey we got it on 11/11/11 and have 10,000 miles on it. We have camped at 43 campgrounds for a total of 209 days.

Having said that you can see we use it a lot. We love it and have not had any major problems - just the minor first year warranty items repaired.

We especially like the 33 ft. slide on the passenger side - when open it gives us lots of room. The bed as you might know is fore and aft and is wonderful if one of you is claustrophobic like my DW.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #13

I jsut looked up the specs on the Thor Tuscany and noted one huge difference in it and the Phaeton 36 which is the engine and transmission. The Phaeton has a Cummins ISC 8.3L engine while the Tuscany has the much smaller ISB that is used in the Dodge pickup truck. I think it is only a 6.7L. I also took a look at the 2012 Winnebago Journey in 36' and it has the same 6.7L ISB Cummins as does the Newmar Vetana 34-36' models

Though both engines are "rated" at 360hp the torque difference is huge and the ISC is a MUCH bigger/better engine. Dont let this difference slip by un-noticed as you shop because there are not many small Class a coaches in the 34-36' range that use the ISC as Tiffin does. I dont know the exact cost difference to the chassis builder but I am guessing that is a large upgrade in cost. I have the ISC 8.9L engine in my Phaeton and really like it for pulling hills etc.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #14

There is no such thing as a ISC 8.9, it is a 8.3. If you have an ISL it is 8.9, in 400, 425, or 450 HP.

Tags
thor