Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
360 Sewer Vent on Tiffin Bus

has anyone installed on 2008 bus. solar panel and two existing vents are close. I will have to do some roof modifications. Existing two tee vents do not work good. Also was thinking of one vent and combine pipe above tank level

thanks

Byron
Hawkeye bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A photo might help us understand your question better. Your description of "Existing two tee vents do not work good." doesn't really explain the setup or issue. If you're talking about this product:
360 Siphon RV Vent Cap, Black - Lippert Components Inc 364464 - Sewer Accessories - Camping World
There are lot's of alternatives to that style of vent that needs an extended footprint.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The T vents work fine unless the tank vent pipe they are connected to is blocked. If you are having odor problems, then some investigation should be done. Gray tanks (which use AAVs and sink traps to control odors) are notorious for causing smells in the coach. One bad AAV can cause quite a stink.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The T vents work fine unless the tank vent pipe they are connected to is blocked. If you are having odor problems, then some investigation should be done. Gray tanks (which use AAVs and sink traps to control odors) are notorious for causing smells in the coach. One bad AAV can cause quite a stink.
I agree, the RV is more than 7 years out of the factory, if this had been a design flaw it should have been mentioned or caught earlier. A change or vent issue now sounds like a blocked or disconnected vent pipe at the tank or other issue easier to fix than a modification to the roof and plumbing.

Perhaps the OP could describe WHY they think such a change is needed?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The 360 vent won't do anything to improve venting if the vent is blocked or open somewhere. If you have a blocked vent, and it would have to be completely blocked, you will get gas bubbling (venting) back into the bathroom when you flush. Pressure has built up in the tank. It smells bad then but if vented by the fan the smell goes away. If you have a dry P trap, the odour will be continuous. Refilling the P trap should cure it. If a sink vent (cheater vent or auto vent) is stuck open replace it or take it apart and spray silicone or lube with GE 111 grease on the rubber/neoprene diaphragm valve. The auto vent is inside the MOHO so you can smell it if it is stuck open. The P traps loose their water by siphon sometimes when you make a dump. If your dump hose runs perfectly on plumb to the sewer it can drain so quickly that it pulls the water from a P trap to get venting, especially if the auto vents are stuck closed. You can get a better (slower) dump speed and stop sewer gas from entering your tanks when the main dump valve is open if you allow the dump hose to dip near the sewer fitting so that it is lower than the rest of the line and creates it's own trap. Auto vents should be replaced now and then. P traps can be eliminated entirely by a new valve that requires no water. Available from RV shops. With respect to the vent blockage it is common for the bottom of the vent to plug when the tank has been left too full and then emptied and then sat for a while. The cure is to use the flush connector every time you dump and to use it for 10 minutes (time it) for the first few dumps after you notice the problem, and for 3 min. from that point forward every time.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I get smells when dumping the tanks both inside and outside. All of posts I agree with. Still should not pull water from trap when dumping. Did the best as I can in cleaning the vent stacks. When tank is half full is when the problem starts. We can sit at a campground and have no real problems, but still have a small problem. Tank is pulled in about 2" on black water tank.

Had a Winnebago that had no smells and when dumping it was fast which good venting helps.

Being a retired engineering, and construction manager with good contacts and mechanical skills I will work on the issue.

Had to rework the passenger side tank door so I can get easy access.
I love my Tiffin Bus and as it gets older will need more work which is normal. Most people think the bus is newer than it is.

Thanks for all responding to my message.

Byron
Hawkeye bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye bus View Post
I get smells when dumping the tanks both inside and outside. All of posts I agree with. Still should not pull water from trap when dumping. Did the best as I can in cleaning the vent stacks. When tank is half full is when the problem starts. We can sit at a campground and have no real problems, but still have a small problem. Tank is pulled in about 2" on black water tank.

Had a Winnebago that had no smells and when dumping it was fast which good venting helps.

Being a retired engineering, and construction manager with good contacts and mechanical skills I will work on the issue.

Had to rework the passenger side tank door so I can get easy access.
I love my Tiffin Bus and as it gets older will need more work which is normal. Most people think the bus is newer than it is.

Thanks for all responding to my message.

Byron

Welcom to IRV2 Byron,

Smelly odors are a pain in the butt. There are several sources and there is not one silver bullet that will be the cure all, including changing vent caps. One thing we do have to figure out, is it a grey tank smell or a black tank smell. Both can be uncomfortable. Grey tanks if not properly maintained can be a real stinky source, sometimes exceeding the black tank. I think we can agree that if both of the tanks are emptied, flushed and clean then the soucres will have been eliminated.

I'm sure you have your own method of draining and cleaning. As far as cemicals to mask the odors and or coat the inner tank walls, I'll leave that up to you. That is a subject on it's own and can be debated untill the cows come home.

If you have confirmed proper venting, drained and completely flushed all contents and put a little lipstick on the pig with a little tank additive and or deodorant, then all should be good, yes/no?

If foul odors continue then either the tanks were not emptied or flushed 100% or there is not proper air flow thru the roof venting system. Regular housekeeping more times than not will greatly decrease the chance of foul odors. Or in engineers terms, Eliminating the source will greatly reduce the problem.

A couple of house keeping practices we use:

1) Always leave 10% clean water in the black tank AFTER you drain/dump. That help reduce clumping. (I'm assuming you never leave the black tank valve open all of the time)

2) Use a clear section of drain hose/connector to monitor contents being drained from both tanks.

3) Never fill tanks to 100%. Black or Gray.

4) Be careful of what goes down the sink drains. Remember, we do not have garbage disposers and these are HOLDING tanks.

5) Never use a "Disinfectant" type dish or hand soaps INSIDE the coach. (Dawn Blue label). That will counter-act against any tank additives you put in.

6) If you do not have a flushing system installed, get one. "Flush-King" is a good alternative and hose mounted. Be sure and use it every time. It only takes one flush to foul things up.

7) When you empty you tanks, flush, flush again, and flush again. Many times I refill the black and gray tanks to near capacity with clean water, drain, then refill about 50%, drain, then refill about 10-20% to leave as starter fluid.

Remember we do not have septic systems, rather a holding tank system. Maintaining these rigs are totally different than at home were we flush it and forget it. Best of luck.

On edit; Is your rig one that has had the wet bay floor replaced? If so, check all of the flange connections where the drain and vent lines connect to the tanks. Many times (Tiffin included) repair shops will suspend the tanks when the old floor is removed. When the new floor goes back in and the tanks are droped back down the connection between the two will crack or seperate causing a air/fluid leak. This too can be a source of odors. Just say'n
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin, vent