Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
36LA issues, is there a lemon law for RVs?

We bought a 2014 36LA in PA about 90 days ago, during PDI we discovered around 10 "small" issues. After the shakedown trip the list went up to 20+: from exterior paint bubbling off, to cabinet mismatches, water pump not operating, shower slide damaged, self leveling system faulty, driver side door showing damaged on upper trim, main door also damaged in the frame, unusual noise while driving coming from main door, damaged rear sink, macerator not working (toilet clogs),,,etc etc etc. needless to say I'm extremely disappointed at the quality of this tiffin coach and even more frustrated with the lack of "fixing" from the dealer, after 3 weeks sitting at their lot they were merely starting to order parts. Emailed tiffin, talked to Bob once and here I'm sitting with a substandard unit. Question is, is there a lemon law for RV's? Anybody out there who has experienced something similar, and can advice on legal options? Half of the season is gone and the dealer has barely fixed anything.
Jrodrig18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodrig18 View Post
We bought a 2014 36LA in PA about 90 days ago, during PDI we discovered around 10 "small" issues. After the shakedown trip the list went up to 20+: from exterior paint bubbling off, to cabinet mismatches, water pump not operating, shower slide damaged, self leveling system faulty, driver side door showing damaged on upper trim, main door also damaged in the frame, unusual noise while driving coming from main door, damaged rear sink, macerator not working (toilet clogs),,,etc etc etc. needless to say I'm extremely disappointed at the quality of this tiffin coach and even more frustrated with the lack of "fixing" from the dealer, after 3 weeks sitting at their lot they were merely starting to order parts. Emailed tiffin, talked to Bob once and here I'm sitting with a substandard unit. Question is, is there a lemon law for RV's? Anybody out there who has experienced something similar, and can advice on legal options? Half of the season is gone and the dealer has barely fixed anything.
why did u buy it knowing that the cabinet,s were mismatched, shower slide was damaged, damaged rear sink, damaged door
at what point in time( week.2 weeks )etc did the water pump quit,the macerator fail, the noise started , paint started bubbleing,self level system quit???
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

I'm sure there is a lemon law in your area; do some research or call a lawyer and they can direct you to someone who can help. Bob will fix your issues but its hard to deal with so many at one time and you can't even use it. I hear most people with Tiffins spend lots of time in Red Bay. ;o(
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Racers, most of the big issues started happening with each trip (macerator and water pump) this week. You are correct it was stupid for me not to have returned it right away.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Frustrating absolutely!!!! I went through this with a thor serrano and eventually had to dump it. Lemon laws are different in each state and have specific rules. In some states only the chassis is allowed.
Can you imagine if you had to fight with the chassis manufacturer, the mh manufacturer and the eng manufacturer over replacing a rear axle on a brand new coach. Nightmares are out there and the dealer makes the difference. If my company was responsible for this I would be embarrassed. I think bob tiffin is like the dog in the windshield with the bouncing head and laughing all the way to the bank. He is not alone as the other manufacturers are as bad or much worse.
With the thor we decided to take the hit and move on ; worked out in the end.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Racers, most of the big issues started happening with each trip (macerator and water pump) this week. You are correct it was stupid for me not to have returned it right away.
maybe not stupid but why buy a brand new motorhome that has all these defects? like why did you not just move on to a different unit?
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #7

Why don't you just pick up your MH from the dealer and drive it down to Tiffin? Stay there and let them fix it. I have found in the past, if all else fails, a trip to the manufacturer is well worth the trip. Don't know about Tiffin, but many manufacturers have RV facilities at the factory with full hookups. They work on the RVs during the day and tow it back for you to sleep in at night, and have waiting rooms during the day. Waiting rooms are pretty plush. We have done this with two different RVs and it is surprising how many RV friends you meet in those lounges while waiting.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Why don't you just pick up your MH from the dealer and drive it down to Tiffin? Stay there and let them fix it. I have found in the past, if all else fails, a trip to the manufacturer is well worth the trip. Don't know about Tiffin, but many manufacturers have RV facilities at the factory with full hookups. They work on the RVs during the day and tow it back for you to sleep in at night, and have waiting rooms during the day. Waiting rooms are pretty plush. We have done this with two different RVs and it is surprising how many RV friends you meet in those lounges while waiting.

Probably my only solution at this point. If tiffin would care they would be best picking it up themselves..8-( it's a 2-3 day dry from Northern Jersey to Red Bay)
Old 07-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #9

Our 2014 36LA

We were in the same boat as you. We picked up on March 30th and departed Harford County MD. on the 31st. We had a few things go wrong while on our first 3 month trip but ended up at Tiffin Plant in Red Bay to have most fixed. One thing you should know most of those people that are Tiffin camp ground are with older campers. With a new one you are more likely to get yours fixed a whole lot Quicker. One in every camper they take in to work on is a warranty job. The last time we were there we checked in at number 130 in the campground and a week later we were back on the road. As a matter of fact were headed there this up coming Sunday. If you want to tag along contact me.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

We have had our 14 36LA since last September and we are still chasing gremlins. The entry door has been an ongoing problem on a lot of 2014 Open Roads, mine had to be completely replaced with a newer manufactured door assembly and repainted TWICE! The latest issue was replacing the transfer switch. Mine has been back to Red Bay three times since new, once they came and picked it up and delivered it back, but, I only live about 45 minutes away! If they can't get it repaired local to you, It wouldn't hurt to ask them to pick it up, all they can say is no. The first trip I was aggravated , the second trip I was mad and slightly unpleasant, and the third trip I was slightly amused. I finally realized that not much else could go wrong and eventually it would be fixed, at least I keep telling myself that.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #11

wow

13 is my lucky number. Our 2013 has been almost problem free. Been able to fix all deficiencies myself with dealer sending me parts for the few cosmetic adjustments. Door has needed striker bolt adjustment a few times so far. I think all manufacturers are selling units as fast as they can build them. From all the new rv's I see at various campgrounds sales must be booming.
Good luck and I hope you get all the problems resolved as we are more than pleased with our 36LA
Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
13 is my lucky number. Our 2013 has been almost problem free. Been able to fix all deficiencies myself with dealer sending me parts for the few cosmetic adjustments. Door has needed striker bolt adjustment a few times so far. I think all manufacturers are selling units as fast as they can build them. From all the new rv's I see at various campgrounds sales must be booming.
Good luck and I hope you get all the problems resolved as we are more than pleased with our 36LA

Thank you
Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #13

Know what your saying

This time our list is as follows: The hatch in the rear bathroom motor runs but hatch won't open.

The switches in rear bathroom, bedroom, and hallway bathroom work when they feel like it.

Seal around door doesn't seal when it rains.

Just a few things but the dealer just moves to slow to get it done. Like you said it will work out in the end or it's back to a tent
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
We have had our 14 36LA since last September and we are still chasing gremlins. The entry door has been an ongoing problem on a lot of 2014 Open Roads, mine had to be completely replaced with a newer manufactured door assembly and repainted TWICE! The latest issue was replacing the transfer switch. Mine has been back to Red Bay three times since new, once they came and picked it up and delivered it back, but, I only live about 45 minutes away! If they can't get it repaired local to you, It wouldn't hurt to ask them to pick it up, all they can say is no. The first trip I was aggravated , the second trip I was mad and slightly unpleasant, and the third trip I was slightly amused. I finally realized that not much else could go wrong and eventually it would be fixed, at least I keep telling myself that.

Thanks Roger! That's a great idea as I work full time (except for weekends) and cannot make the trip to Red Bay for 4 days of driving plus the wait. It seems the door issue must be common. I'm almost regretful having moved from Thor to Tiffin.

Tags
rvs