Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
40 IH Phaeton oil dipstick location

I have a 2017 40 IP, not sure if all Phaetons of this age have the dipstick and oil fill locations in the same place as mine. It is a ridiculous location to find, if you didn't know where to look and nearly impossible to add oil or even check it without getting yourself greasy dirty.
What has anyone rigged up to help make this a more pleasant task?
Thanks for all suggestions...
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

'16QBH. Mine is not hard to access/use. Have they moved it from the center far right? Mine is a 380ISL9 on FL chassis, if that makes a difference.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Both the dipstick and fill tube are on the far right side behind the power steering reservoir.
Ours is a 380 hp Cummins on a powerglide frame.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Both the dipstick and fill tube are on the far right side behind the power steering reservoir.

That may be the difference. I have a 2015 on a Freightliner chassis and it sounds like the difference is the location of the power steering reservoir. Mine is located about 10”-12” to the left of the oil fill and dipstick and above the radiator, although it does hang down below the top of the radiator. I have very good access. Wondering if your reservoir can be slightly relocated for better access.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:40 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Contact Tiffin customer service. With the 40IH and 44OH early models there was a mistake in design that put the dipsticks behind the power steering reservoir. They made an adapter plate to move the reservoir to the other side of the dipsticks and fill tubes. This was a design flaw so they should send it to you for free. If CS doesn't give you satisfaction, contact Gary Harris in the chassis shop and he'll probably take care of you. This only affected the Phaetons on the Power Glide chassis as the Freightliners are in a different configuration.

I changed mine out three years ago and it was a bit of a PITA to get to all of the bolts. Below are the before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReservoirOld.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	331331   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReservoirNew.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	331332  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, remounting the p/s reservoir looks to be the likely fix for the problem. I hope there is someone on this forum that has come up with a kit of some sort that I can copy or purchase instead of me re-inventing one.
I do not understand why/how Tiffin could have located such important items, the filler tube and dipstick behind the canister.
I suppose it has to be above the power steering pump?? At my first glance it looks as though I would remount it lower(you say yours is above the radiator) on the same side of the radiator, have to see if there is any slack in the hoses.
Thank you,
Bob
Old 06-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Lt. Dan comes to the rescue!
I knew there had to be something out there for this.
Thank you, Thank, Thank you. (in my best Gomer Pyle character imitation)

I will get one of these plates put in before my next oil change.
Bob

Tags
cat, phaeton