Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I have experimented with and on occasion ran my 2 older 15K AC's and the Res Fridge while connected to 30A. The maximum draw I have ever seen on my EMS was 24A. An AUTO start generator with temperature parameters can be the backup.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #16

I have a 16 40QBH. Spent the entire summer in Ridgway CO on 30amp, day temps up to 90-92, minimal shade. One AC suffered trying to keep the coach bearable between 3pm and when the sun went below the cliffs.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
We have done it with our 40ft Phaeton QBH. 30 amp not a good idea anytime. It’s hard on many of your appliances. Use generator or look elsewhere. Dennis M
DennisJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #18

The rig has all of the protection devices, at great cost, to prevent damage.

Just plug it in and go for it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 05:00 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for the SoftStart RV. I installed two of them on my 2012 36LA and I can easily run both air conditioners on 30 amp. Micro-Air has a similar product called EasyStart. They both do the same thing, greatly reduce the startup power demand to get the compressor going. The greatest power requirement is when the compressor starts but once they get running it's fine. If you don't want to install something like SoftStart or EasyStart my other recommendation is to start one AC and set the temperature really low so it doesn't cycle off and on and then after a minute start the second AC and also set it really low so it doesn't cycle off and on. Once they're both running and not cycling then the power draw is fine on 30 amp. The only drawback to doing that is you can't control the temperature.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #20

Use 15 amp to circulate AC

Get a plastic wind machine fan, hook up an extension cord to the 15amp outlet on your pedestal. Run the cord into the driver side window, close gap with small pool noodle with cutout for cord.

Or, just use a fan with the existing electric. Shut off if you need electric for microwave to be safe, then turn back on.
mnothstein01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #21

Magna Shade

You're in a metal box in the sun and said box has limited insulation. Kudos to all the people with advice on how to maximize 30 amp service and running 1-2 A/Cs. However, those options are treating the symptom of a problem when in reality the problem the interior of the coach is getting hot because of the sun. Most of the heat entering the coach is from the front and side windows (driver and passenger side and windshield). Get Magna Shades (or a similar high-quality glass shade) that prevents a lot of the heat from entering the coach. Don't buy that reflective crap you put on the inside of the windshield at Walmart because the heat is already in the coach when it starts "reflecting". In addition, put your awning out (and if you have window awnings, put them out) to prevent direct sunlight from entering the coach. I was amazed at how well the Magna Shades work to keep the coach cooler and limited the run time on my ACs...probably reducing the temp in the forward part of the coach by at least 10 degrees (when it was 90+ degrees outside).
Wufpaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton