Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
40 Tiffin Bus

Would like to know the good, bad and ugly on a 2017 and newer 40 ft bus. Your feelings on length, quality. First coach was a 45 essex that we traveled between Fl and Ca. On several occasions traveling the west coast we found 45 was difficult to just pull over and sightsee . We also found ourselves limited to available campgrounds. Anyone have similar problems with a 40?
firetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #2

Just moved up from a Phaeton 36 QSH to a 40 IH. During my trip planning for our two month trip this summer there was only one campground I could not get into due to the 40 foot length that I could have with my 36 QSH. Almost every campground being built or refurbished today will accommodate a 40 ft motorhome, including the National Parks.

I do not own a Bus. The only limitation I know of with a Bus (though it is second hand) is that the carrying capacity is somewhat limited due to the weight of the materials used in the manufacturing and construction. I would at least look at that and make sure it fits within your requirements.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I full time in a 40' bus. No major problems 2010 with aqua hot which has failed4 times in 6 years which I fixed. Other smaller problems like electric shade failure. Slide out relay failure and slow to air up. Difficulties backing

Very roomy. I miss the maneuverability of the 39' kountry star. Very easy to maneuver, 60 degree wheel cut shorter wheelbase. Fewer bells and whistles. You actually had to lower the shades by hand !
Wished I kept it. JMHO
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
We have a 2014 Allegro Bus 40SP. There have been some places it is just large enough to fit. Many nice upgrades over Phaton. Different frame, suspension, independent front. All electric is great. Heated tile floors a plus. Aquahot!!! 450 Cummins. Side radiator. Basement fridge. 10kw Onan.

We travel 6-8 months a year. 43 or 45 has larger closet/ master bath which would be nice. Kitchen just a bit larger also. Often think if upgrading but overall I like 40 since it does so well on narrow twisty 2 lane roads we travel thru in western US.

If I had unlimited money it would be a though choice. I travel 2 lane as much as possible. I feel the next larger model would be more comfortable on freeways. I have been on roads that were “restricted “ to 40 feet. South out of Prescott for example.

Some State parks we have been would be tough with a 45.

Bottom line we are very comfortable in our 40SP. Love the fireplace and how the TV is positioned. I see no need for two couches with just the two of us. We entertain outside.

So, no perfect answer. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep in mind, a 2017 40AP or SP Bus is not 40’ but 41’11”. The 37AP Bus is about 39’.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrader View Post
Would like to know the good, bad and ugly on a 2017 and newer 40 ft bus. Your feelings on length, quality. First coach was a 45 essex that we traveled between Fl and Ca. On several occasions traveling the west coast we found 45 was difficult to just pull over and sightsee . We also found ourselves limited to available campgrounds. Anyone have similar problems with a 40?
We've had our 40' Bus since Sep 2015 and never had a problem at campgrounds due to length. Our M.O. is to find a nice cg (not always a resort) and do our sight seeing in the toad, so that might be a factor for you, but we had found that a 40'er has not been too big for anything but my driveway. I had to spend a good chunk of change to widen a curve in that.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

I just made this same analysis and decision last year. I just bought a 2020 Allegro Bus 40IP because I thought the 45 was too long and might not be able to get into parks. So far since last October in taking delivery of the new bus I have had no issues with parking in RV parks or parks. The actual length is 41 foot. I have noticed that all the State and National Parks are upgrading their RV spots to accommodate 45 foot bus however the only problem I see is they are limited on the number of spots available.

I am pleased with my decision and hope to not have any issues with length in the future. Good luck with your decision and enjoy the journey and be safe.
Billcmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin