Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

41' Allegro Bus vs 41' Newmar DS w/tag

Who here has either owned a Comfort Drive coach and bought an Allegro Bus or maybe gone the other way? I'm asking about road manners. Comfort Drive being the touted "best".

Having said that we are intrigued by the 35CP and the 40IP plans and are curious how a long windy day or a windy mountain road feel between the Newmar Dutch Star with tag vs PowerGlide XSP? I read the Safety Steer thread and am confused if that will actually do anything for a current model AB 40' chassis.

Opinions and experience please!
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There are a lot of benefits to Comfort Drive, some obvious, some that go on in the background that many aren’t even aware of, but are very helpful. The biggest benefit for me so far, has been driving winding mountain roads - a very common experience for me.

In these cases I set the CD down to 2, which would feel too loose on the freeway, but constantly steering the coach back and forth on endless curves, it is a blessing. There is not only no fatigue at the end of the drive, but I think it’s safer as you can devote all your attention to the road, rather than how much steering effort you’ll apply and for how long.

Other cool features are of course automatic and constant centering, the main purpose, which mitigates high winds and passing 75mph semis. Also nifty, is that it backs up straight hands free, although that’s not really a necessity and probably wants a design parameter.

Anyway I wouldn’t be without it. I like a firm feel and a little more steering effort on the freeway (4-5) and a light amount of effort when steering a lot (1-2), and CD gives me those options.

Also I don’t have tag experience (drove a 60,000lb three axle fire dept ladder truck, and 50,000lb three axle water tender but... a different animal entirely) but the extra load carrying capacity and on the road stability would be enough for me. Add to that passive steering and the improved turning radius would be all I need to choose a rig with a tag. If you go that route, think about Spartan because their passive steer is active up to 45mph (think clover leafs) and Freightliner’s is active up to 15mph (parking lots and camp grounds).
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
I have no experience with Comfort Steer but I have stayed with Tiffin, including the Allegro Bus we have on order, because it does NOT have a tag. Our current coach is a non tag Tiffin and I don’t feel it has any stability issues.

A friend had a non tag coach and “upgraded” to a coach with a tag and was sorry he did. He did not notice any appreciable benefit in handling but really missed all of the lost storage that was used up by the extra axle.

That is just my opinion and what works for us. I don’t want a 45’ coach so it’s the right combination for us. For others, the tag is a must. I’m glad there are options.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

We own a Tiffin 37AP, 2019, and appreciate that we have road comfort and luxury, and because it does NOT have a tag axle we can back beyond the typical “burm” since we don’t have the additional wheels. This allows us to get into smaller spaces at some of the State and Federal parks. Just some food for thought.
gkaldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaldor View Post
We own a Tiffin 37AP, 2019, and appreciate that we have road comfort and luxury, and because it does NOT have a tag axle we can back beyond the typical “burm” since we don’t have the additional wheels. This allows us to get into smaller spaces at some of the State and Federal parks. Just some food for thought.
^^ This. This is big reason we are looking at the 35CP and the 40IP. We used to frequent the smaller state parks and want to continue to do so. Otherwise we'd just go the full 45' and be done with it

We really like the idea of the 35CP but a recent AirBnB made us wonder if a second bathroom might be more interesting.

I'm not worried about CCC or such but I am wanting to be sure the road manners are worth the considerable upgrade to a DP (vs a nice F53 chassis).
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
To answer your question about bathrooms, a feature to consider......the 35CP will have only an electric (probably Tecma) toilet. The 40IP will have that but also a gravity toilet in the half bath (ours does in our Phaeton). If for any reason the electric one has problems (do a search here & you'll find lots of threads on the matter), you'll always have a toilet you won't have worry about being inop.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #7

Tag Vs. No Tag

Firstly, I've have/drive both setups and there are big differences. Second, verify length of both units. I think you will be surprised. Dutch Star 40 is actually longer, builders can't physically fit a tag in 40FT anymore, not with req. DEF tank +Exhaust, batterys, hydronic heater, etc that manufacturers use now. A tag definitely eliminates bay space, but most builders usually stretch that model a foot so maybe its a wash? Country Coach was the last manufacturer to actually build a true 40FT Tag, because it was their in-house chassis and before the modern Exhaust Systems. Find an 2008 40FT Intrigue or Allure..thats the best handling coach ever built and a true 40FT! With the lifting tag and their 59DEG steer wheel cut, thats off subject though.

If you find you like the DutchS better overall, then you will enjoy Comfort Steer for sure. IF you decide to go with Tiffin AB, try to get the Freightliner w/ VRIDE and DriveTech! Its the best rear axle suspension setup on the market for tags and A MUST for non-tag! I believe DS can still be ordered with Freightliner. Far superior to what Spartan and Powerglide are doing (Powerglide is a very close second).

I have 5 similar Newmar 45FTs in my program: 3 Freightliners, 2 Spartan and a Tiffin PowerGlide. Interesting factoid: Freightliner is using Sachs shocks all around, Spartan still using Bilstein, Powerglide has switched to Sachs on their steer axle. I think someone at Tiffin has been paying attention to the ride characteristics on FCCs! Sachs are significantly softer than Bilstein. Sachs gives that old school, bus-like, Cadillac "plushy/cushy" feel. Powerglide seems to be more stable in rear vs. Spartan. Spartan is way overdue for a new rear axle suspension design in my humble opinion. PowerGlide I think has updated their rear Parallelogram Suspension design a bit which I feel has in fact translated to a much better feel. Spartan still feels the same to me that its been for 10years.

Thirdly, passive steer tag axle technology is awesome! I can pull into Walmarts with a 26FT trailer in tow and never clip a curb around the aisles and never ever have to backup. When I drive a Prevost 45, I have to adjust my turn angles if before I go into them. Good luck! Both Dutch Star and Allegro are superb products! I'm sitting next to a Dutchstar Tag as I type this!
MyRVButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dutch Star 40’ (tag) models are 40’9”.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, allegro bus, newmar