Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

6v or 12v

It is time to replace my house batteries. Currently they are 6 volt batteries. Since I will be replacing them all is 6 volt or 12 volt better? 6 volt is new to me. Every other RV I have had was 12 volt deep cycle so curious about what is better and why?
Rhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

If you dry camp often, for the most part, 6 volt pairs will give you more capacity.

That and its pretty much guaranteed that they are deep cycle .
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

6 volts. The plates and insulation between the plates is thicker. A more robust design that can survive mechanical abuse better.
zombiewoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #4

Yep, 6 is better
Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #5

As stated above 6 volt batteries are the standard for true deep cycle usage. 12volts are more geared to cranking amps which is a short burst of energy, whereas, 6 volt provides sustained energy over a longer time period because they normally have greater amp capacity. Trojan and Surrette make great 6 volt, thick platted batteries that are used heavily in solar power off-grid systems. Trojans are much more reasonably priced.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #6

For flooded battys hard to beat 6V gold cart battys. They are made in qty and generally very good $/AH.
You can buy so called "better quality" battys but they are significantly more $ IMO and payback is questionable vs something like an East Penn / Duracell at Sams Club.
Just my opinion and others will claim otherwise but I have had very good service from East Penn / Duracell.
Current EP AGMs in boat are finishing up 8 seasons and still going strong.
If you consider AGM many of the "rules of thumb" re 6V vs 12V and start vs deep cycle dont apply as they do not have different plate designs like FLa. This was confirmed by both EP and Trojan... 12V GP 31 just as good as 6V GC for both start and deep cycle when you are comparing AGM... NOT TRUE FOR FLA

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

6 volts - 3 votes 12 votes - 0 I think you have your answer.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

6V.......
Wired in series provides 12VDC to RV
*doubles the Voltage but amp/hr remain the same

12V.....
wired in parallel provides 12V to RV
*doubles the amp/hr but voltage remains the same

****6V batteries typically have higher amp/hr ratings then 12V

NOW if you have FOUR 6V then you wire then in series and parallel
2 batteries in series.....other 2 batteries in series
Then Parallel the 2 battery banks
12VDC but amp/hr rating doubles due to paralleling the 2 banks together

Biggest downside to 6V batteries..........loose ONE and you have NO 12VDC (unless you have 4 and then you can use 2 good ones for the 12V)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
PKI

A bank of 6 volt wet cells (4-6) is good house storage for 12 volt power.

A bank of lithium 12 volt cells is fantastic house storage for 12 volt power. However you need to upgrade some of your charging and monitoring gear to use those and they are very expensive. Much research required and the bank can be built in many different configurations, depending on the source for the cells.

A bank of AGM 12 volt cells (2) is good chassis storage (engine starting) for 12 volt power.

The sketches posted above show how to wire 6 volts to get 12 volts. The explanation presented prior explains that 6 volt cells are designed for heavy use. That is the deal. They will take more emergency heavy draw downs than a 12 volt cell bank. Rule of thumb is that wet cells including AGM should only be discharged to 50% (12.2 volts). Each time the discharge is more, bank life is shortened considerably more than would be the case if the ROT is followed. That is less the case with heavy 6 volts, but still valid in general.

Good luck with your new bank.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #10

Thank you for the responses. My unit currently has six 6 volt batteries, so I will stay with 6 volt. Another question is that I am plugged into shore power 99% of the time. Do I need the full 6 batteries or would 2 be just as good? I was wondering if being constantly plugged in affects battery life. So should I go with 6 new batteries and use 2 when plugged in then go to all 6 just for boondocking? Or just keep all 6 all the time?
Rhobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobson View Post
Thank you for the responses. My unit currently has six 6 volt batteries, so I will stay with 6 volt. Another question is that I am plugged into shore power 99% of the time. Do I need the full 6 batteries or would 2 be just as good? I was wondering if being constantly plugged in affects battery life. So should I go with 6 new batteries and use 2 when plugged in then go to all 6 just for boondocking? Or just keep all 6 all the time?

If you're plugged in all the time batteries are of little concern to you. You certainly don't need 6 of them. A couple decent 12 volts is all you need and that would save a lot of weight.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobson View Post
SIX 6V batteries.......

All SIX for House
OR 4 for house and 2 for chassis????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

If you stay with 6 6 volts and do not normally use the batteries alone to supply your power you can easily maintain a 20% or less discharge rate that can expand the battery bank to a 15 year to 20 year life span. 2 6 volts batteries to supply the same amps would require approximately a 60% discharge rate or an 8 to 10 year life span. The above assumptions are based on good battery maintenance and no unusual tissues such as batteries shorting out.

So 2 or 6 will work but 6 gives you greater capacity for changes in your camping preferences and to respond if 1 battery fails to enable you to retain 12 volt power. My battery tray is to short for 6 volt batteries so I have multiple 12 volt deep cycle batteries to give that needed backup factor. You could also reduce down to 4 and achieve a good, safe compromise.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
A bank of 6 volt wet cells (4-6) is good house storage for 12 volt power.

A bank of lithium 12 volt cells is fantastic house storage for 12 volt power. However you need to upgrade some of your charging and monitoring gear to use those and they are very expensive. Much research required and the bank can be built in many different configurations, depending on the source for the cells.

A bank of AGM 12 volt cells (2) is good chassis storage (engine starting) for 12 volt power.

The sketches posted above show how to wire 6 volts to get 12 volts. The explanation presented prior explains that 6 volt cells are designed for heavy use. That is the deal. They will take more emergency heavy draw downs than a 12 volt cell bank. Rule of thumb is that wet cells including AGM should only be discharged to 50% (12.2 volts). Each time the discharge is more, bank life is shortened considerably more than would be the case if the ROT is followed. That is less the case with heavy 6 volts, but still valid in general.

Good luck with your new bank.
The 50% DOD "limit" is oft repeated but is a myth. Even Trojan states 75% DOD allows a safety margin.
No argument if you discharge less you get more (but smaller AH) cycles so you need to charge them more often using up those "extra" cycles or you need to invest more upfront for a larger bank.
See detailed discussion & attached analysis at https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/unclear-on-amp-hour-capacity-and-minimum-voltage-553162.html
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v