Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2022, 12:40 AM   #1
Junior Member


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 13
7.3L F-53 Chassis Front end Bump stops missing

Are there any solutions to make the factory bump stops work or does anyone know if Ford is going to address the bump stop design issue? We have a 2021 34PA Allegro Open Road and looked for bump stops after Face Book group mentioned they are falling off. Sure enough our front bump stops are missing. I decided to purchase new ones and install myself since I could not get an appointment at FORD for a month. After analyzing the new bump stops I could see why they are falling off. There are little steel tabs that are supposed to grab the bump stop and hold it to the bracket. Instead of throwing away the $100 for parts I decided to use some zip ties to capture an ejected bump stomp and that is exactly what has happened. I even used some adhesive to try and get the stops to stick to the bracket but no go. After 400 miles of driving I took a look at the stops and they are hanging horizontal off the zip ties. I know I can spend approx. $645 and buy front Suma Springs or $22k and get liquid springs but I would prefer to not spend money when Ford should be designing bump stops that work. My rear bump stops seem to be bonded to the bracket and are hanging in there.
Papachuckl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 04:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve-W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachuckl97 View Post
Are there any solutions to make the factory bump stops work or does anyone know if Ford is going to address the bump stop design issue? We have a 2021 34PA Allegro Open Road and looked for bump stops after Face Book group mentioned they are falling off. Sure enough our front bump stops are missing. I decided to purchase new ones and install myself since I could not get an appointment at FORD for a month. After analyzing the new bump stops I could see why they are falling off. There are little steel tabs that are supposed to grab the bump stop and hold it to the bracket. Instead of throwing away the $100 for parts I decided to use some zip ties to capture an ejected bump stomp and that is exactly what has happened. I even used some adhesive to try and get the stops to stick to the bracket but no go. After 400 miles of driving I took a look at the stops and they are hanging horizontal off the zip ties. I know I can spend approx. $645 and buy front Suma Springs or $22k and get liquid springs but I would prefer to not spend money when Ford should be designing bump stops that work. My rear bump stops seem to be bonded to the bracket and are hanging in there.
I had one go AWOL on my coach during my initial 2 month long shakedown trip. On my pre trip inspection I found one missing. I was leaving again in 4 days and the Ford part was on backorder. I had Sumo springs (24K chassis) delivered the next day. Haven't looked back since, 20K + miles later. They bolt on very securely and did help the rocking on driveway to road transitions. Well worth the $$ and 45 minute install time.

The Ford mounting is not very secure for the factory stops especially since on the new chassis they are not just bump stops but an active part of the suspension. I felt it was worth the cost to have an immediate proven solution rather than waiting for Ford to possibly address the issue in the future. I installed the Sumo's in September of 2020 and as far as I know Ford has yet to make any changes/improvements in the mounting.
__________________
2021 Newmar Bay Star 3401
Toad - 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017.5 Forester 3051 -7/14/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 108
Sorry about the upside down pics - I rotated one of them, but they just still came in upside down. So, I just checked mine on our 2021 Open Road 34PA... the Ford F53 chassis was built in 2020. See the picture attached. I don't see anything that looks like a bump stop. Both sides look like this. Are they missing?Click image for larger version

Name:	20220523_101012_180.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	366344
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220523_101012.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	366345
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandcbend View Post
Sorry about the upside down pics - I rotated one of them, but they just still came in upside down. So, I just checked mine on our 2021 Open Road 34PA... the Ford F53 chassis was built in 2020. See the picture attached. I don't see anything that looks like a bump stop. Both sides look like this. Are they missing?Attachment 366344
Attachment 366345
It seems strange those look like metal cups with no factory center bolts. I looked at the eTrailer instructions for installing Sumo on 2020 F53 and those cups were not there and the Sumo instructions say to reuse a factory bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bump.png
Views:	18
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	366356  
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 108
It looks like this would be what my bump stops should be, but I only have the black metal "cup" portion of it. I have no idea what is holding those "cups" to my frame. What the heck anyway?? Would Ford issue new ones to me at their cost? My RV is only 13 months old and it has been out of commission nearly two of those months with Ford problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3020.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	366364  
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve-W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandcbend View Post
It looks like this would be what my bump stops should be, but I only have the black metal "cup" portion of it. I have no idea what is holding those "cups" to my frame. What the heck anyway?? Would Ford issue new ones to me at their cost? My RV is only 13 months old and it has been out of commission nearly two of those months with Ford problems.
Yup 5e “cups” are where they are supposed to be. There is one bolt inside the recessed center hole that goes through the frame into a nut inside the frame rail. The nut has a finger welded to it to prevent it from turning when installing/removing, you can get your hand in to get it started or retrieve the nut. The sumos also use this same bolt to attach there mounting plate.

Ford may cover them under warranty, but they will be the same and may go missing again.
__________________
2021 Newmar Bay Star 3401
Toad - 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017.5 Forester 3051 -7/14/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Yup 5e “cups” are where they are supposed to be. There is one bolt inside the recessed center hole that goes through the frame into a nut inside the frame rail. The nut has a finger welded to it to prevent it from turning when installing/removing, you can get your hand in to get it started or retrieve the nut. The sumos also use this same bolt to attach there mounting plate.

Ford may cover them under warranty, but they will be the same and may go missing again.
Yep, disappointing that the same thing would no doubt happen if I replace with same. I guess I'll replace with Sumo in front... damn Ford!
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:42 PM   #8
Junior Member


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 13
zip ties on new bump stops installed

It sounds like Sumo springs are going to be the real solution. Unfortunate Ford can get by with such a weak design and make the customer Have to go to a 3rd party to get a product truly designed for the application. I have attached a jpg with pictures showing my install with zip ties to capture them when the inevitable happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220505_162901.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	366408  
Papachuckl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachuckl97 View Post
It sounds like Sumo springs are going to be the real solution. Unfortunate Ford can get by with such a weak design and make the customer Have to go to a 3rd party to get a product truly designed for the application. I have attached a jpg with pictures showing my install with zip ties to capture them when the inevitable happened.
I wonder if Ford even tests these chassis in real life conditions. Seems they would have some Motorhome manufacturers build beta units and run them through their paces. Maybe they could have caught this, and the spark plug wire failures as well. I'll definitely let them know about this... maybe enough complaints and they'll fix it for future buyers.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:40 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 14
2022 Open Road and one of mine was missing after my ride home from the dealer. The second one I literally just yanked it with my hand and it fell off... not very durable in my opinion. I replaced them with the Sumo Springs. I found them online for $587 drop shipped from SuperSprings. I haven't driven it yet, so no input on that. My Koni shocks will be here Thursday, I'll take it for a drive after that.
tstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cherokee, NC (summer), Titusville, FL (winter)
Posts: 18
Missing Bump Stops

We took delivery of our 2022 OR 34PA in May. I checked for Bump Stops right away and of course they were missing. The dealer said to have a Ford Heavy Truck shop replace them under warranty. That is what I did a few weeks later in Orlando, FL. After one trip from FL to NC, guess what? They are gone again!

We already have Liquid Springs on the rear and have an appointment at the LS factory in August to have the front put on. At this point I'll just live without the Bump Stops until then.

Also, I'm currently in Red Bay waiting for service. I walked around and found 5 other 2022 OR 34PAs here, ALL of them had missing Bump Stops !!!
__________________
Alan & Bev Miller, Smoky Mountains of North Carolina
2022 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA"DRAKKEN"
2004 MINI Cooper "TYNE"
Sir Tyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Sounds like if you need replacements, just keep an eye out while on the road! They're likely scattered all over!!
YesMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 275
check out the timbren's they are like a big bump stop
I have them on the rear of my 2012 f53 chassis sumo's on the front.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Fredtp's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 22
Buy a set of sumo springs for the front and install in place of bump stops, your ride will improve and add koni shocks. That is what I did to my 2022 34pa when mine were missing. Sumo springs take the place of bump stops.
__________________
Retired Navy (92)
2022 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chassis



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator Stops when I run over a Bump RV8411 RV Systems & Appliances 20 04-07-2021 10:35 PM
Front Bump Stop for 2006 F53 chassis? evofxdwg Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 10 01-11-2020 08:47 PM
Sumosprings bump stops riverforest Class C Motorhome Discussions 10 07-17-2018 09:13 PM
Need help Id-ing the bump stops '04 W20 chassis Motor7 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 2 10-06-2017 07:01 AM
Front Axle Bump Stops Moe Stevens Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 05-25-2015 02:45 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.