Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
7-way connector battery charge amp rating - 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay

Anybody know the amperage rating of the battery charge line that runs to the 7-way connector at the hitch?

I've looked at all the Workhorse schematics and don't see it so I think it's installed by Tiffin. I also have the Tiffin schematics but so far I haven't found it. Maybe I'm going blind.

I'd like to know how it's fused and where that fuse is so I can fuse my charge line for my toad appropriately.

Thanks-
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

I don't know about your coach specifically, but most charge lines are fused at 30 amps in the chassis OEM fuse box. Unless your toad battery is very dead you will get nowhere near that much current through it.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just looked it up and the Blue Ox cable has 16 gauge wires except ground which is 14 gauge so that limits the amperage to about 10 amps. I think I'll fuse at that and see how it goes. Worse case is it blows the fuse. I have a diode to block flow back to the RV so it's only toad loads running through fuse.

Toad battery will be charged when hooked up initially and only load will be Patriot 3 brake system and that is fused at 2 amps so it shouldn't cause much drain.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #4

I am wondering same thing. I have a 2020 Equinox. Charge wire does not seem to keep up with equinox drain. Batt voltage after 3 hours is about 12.01v.

My dc clamp meter says the Equinox draws about 7 amps in the tow mode.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
I am wondering same thing. I have a 2020 Equinox. Charge wire does not seem to keep up with equinox drain. Batt voltage after 3 hours is about 12.01v.

My dc clamp meter says the Equinox draws about 7 amps in the tow mode.
I just hooked mine up and my initial charge rate via my clamp meter was 1.3 amps so knowing that it was below 10 amps I put my digital inline meter (much more accurate) inline and the rates were 1.5 amps initially down to about 0.7 amps after a couple of minutes.

The 7 amps you see is way too much - there must be something on/running in your vehicle to see that kind of rate continuously. At 12.0 volts the battery is approx. 40% charged so that is partially why you are seeing a high current flow but why it is so low is a mystery unless you just have a bad battery that won't take a charge.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Did you ever find out where the fuse for the 7 pin connector is located at?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:27 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Did you ever find out where the fuse for the 7 pin connector is located at?
Not so far - it's not in the electrical diagrams from Tiffin nor did I find it in the schematics from WH. Probably gonna look at all the fuses tomorrow just for grins now that the toad is all done.

I'll post back if I find it.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog View Post
Not so far - it's not in the electrical diagrams from Tiffin nor did I find it in the schematics from WH. Probably gonna look at all the fuses tomorrow just for grins now that the toad is all done.

I'll post back if I find it.
Ok great, I know there is a fuse panel on top of the drivers dash, I believe it has the electric seat fuses, I remember some more fuses as well, but not sure if the 7 pin is in there
Old 07-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Ok great, I know there is a fuse panel on top of the drivers dash, I believe it has the electric seat fuses, I remember some more fuses as well, but not sure if the 7 pin is in there
Not in the drivers dash fuse panel nor in the one below the frig.

My money says it's on the one under the dash on drivers side. Mine is mounted sideways so you can't see (nor change one) without unscrewing it - poor design. I looked with a mirror and there are two 30 amp self-resetting breakers on that panel.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

Equinox tow mode must be in neutral in accessory mode. Cannot turn off entire screen console totally. I also think power is supplied to electric steering system. I tow mode I measure 7 amps. What kind of vehicle are you towing.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzent View Post
Equinox tow mode must be in neutral in accessory mode. Cannot turn off entire screen console totally. I also think power is supplied to electric steering system. I tow mode I measure 7 amps. What kind of vehicle are you towing.
2014 Honda CRV (last year you can tow). I have a switch that turns off the radio/dash/power outlets etc.

Tags
allegro, battery, tiffin