Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

A/C Power Loss with Shore Power

Just bought a 2018 Phaeton 40AH. Have it plugged in to 30 amp shore power here at house. Seems that once a week or so, the A/C power to the coach goes out and then will go on/off in rapid succession (Fridge and Microwave cycling) and overhead lights and panel lights blinking. Also had a portable heater plugged in to 120V A/C outlet and it was off. I had the AquaHot running in Diesel mode with rear furnace running and it was off. After I cycle the switch in the bus near the front door for coach power, all seems ok again. Thinking it can't be the inverter since it's the Microwave and Fridge cycling on/off. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

You say you have an inverter, but is it an inverter or a convertor?

If you have an inverter, do you have solar on the coach?

Are you using the microwave when this happens, or is it just that the control panel starts lighting up and then going out?

Do you have an automatic transfer switch?

Am assuming the on/off is happening more automatically than your having to manually reset something, like a GFI.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Couple things you could check,

I'd disconnect from power and check to make sure all the connections in the transfer switch are tight.

Do you have any type of power management system that could be sensing low voltage? I was noticing on our rig, which has the Progressive Surge Protector, a fault code notice of low voltage.

So I finally started checking voltage and we were actually getting periods of low voltage into the house, low enough for surge protector to drop power. I contacted the utility company and a service rep called me back and they confirmed that the voltage was low, they had to increase the output at the nearest substation that feeds our neighborhood.

On my rig the salesman switch controls the 12 volt house power but does not shut the inverter off. The only thing that would do that would be the battery disconnect. I've heard of these going bad, not sure if they could produce an intermittent problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
The switch by the front door controls 12 house batteries. Your lights are 12 volt. Signature says all electric so assume a residential fridge. And microwave is also AC. Not gfci related. Are fridge and Microwave inverter power only? What model inverter?
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geothomas View Post
Just bought a 2018 Phaeton 40AH. Have it plugged in to 30 amp shore power here at house. Seems that once a week or so, the A/C power to the coach goes out and then will go on/off in rapid succession (Fridge and Microwave cycling) and overhead lights and panel lights blinking. Also had a portable heater plugged in to 120V A/C outlet and it was off. I had the AquaHot running in Diesel mode with rear furnace running and it was off. After I cycle the switch in the bus near the front door for coach power, all seems ok again. Thinking it can't be the inverter since it's the Microwave and Fridge cycling on/off. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Possibilities:
Loose or corroded main power connectors in RV.
Shore power not stable.
Loose or corroded branch power connectors in shore power outlet or circuit.

Automatic Transfer Switches are another source for erratic behavior.

Cycling the switch near the front door operates a separate 12 volt system. AquaHot may be a 12 volt system. Furnace is likely a 12 volt system. Overhead lights are usually 12 volts.

Normally the battery bank supports 12 volt appliances when 120 volts drops out. A battery disconnect switch turned "off" would prevent that. Converter will supply 12 volts when shore power is present. It will go "off" and "on" with the erratic 120 volt supply.

Normally cycling the door switch will not affect 120 volt systems, however, some RV have complicated computer controlled energy management systems. The system may be malfunctioning and turning 12 volt system "on" and "off" may stabilize it. This is wildly speculative.

As you pointed out, inverter is not likely the cause.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
You say you have an inverter, but is it an inverter or a convertor?

If you have an inverter, do you have solar on the coach?

Are you using the microwave when this happens, or is it just that the control panel starts lighting up and then going out?

Do you have an automatic transfer switch?

Am assuming the on/off is happening more automatically than your having to manually reset something, like a GFI.

So yes it looks like it is the converter. I have no solar. Believe there is an auto transfer switch, will go looking. The microwave was not running, only the fridge was running. However, no power to either, or power would rapid cycle on both at same time. Yes the power cycling is happening without me taking any steps.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:44 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may be overloading your 30 amp circuit. Your inverter requires a certain amount of AC power. If it goes into a charge mode, it may start shedding appliances. Is your inverter set to 30 amp via the Spyder panel? You might have to reduce the charge rate from the standard 80%.
What do you have the Spyder panel set at? Is the inverter set to pass thru, inverter it off?
Is your 30 amp a dedicated Rv service? Is it on a GFC?
When the power starts to cut off and on can you hear the transfer switch making noise?
When I park our bus, I turn off inverting and have the inverter just set to charging. That way I am only running AC through the RV power supply in the garage. If we did lose power at the house, all AC power would cease at this setting but I don’t run any appliances anyways.
You could also have a defective Transfer switch. If you’re comfortable around electricity, open the transfer switch box, check the contacts for burning or arching and make sure all connections are tight. If the transfer switch is dropping out, your inverter , depending on your settings, will automatically start converting and if there is too much of a draw, the system will shed appliances. Or if not enough 12 volt power is supplied, the inverter will shut down.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geothomas View Post
So yes it looks like it is the converter. I have no solar. Believe there is an auto transfer switch, will go looking. The microwave was not running, only the fridge was running. However, no power to either, or power would rapid cycle on both at same time. Yes the power cycling is happening without me taking any steps.
Disconnect power to the coach.

Open up the breaker panel and the transfer switch in the coach and check all wiring, your looking for loose or burned wires.

Tighten all circuit breaker and transfer switch screw terminal connections. Be certain to check the input connections on the breaker panel input buss bar (where feed power connects to the breaker box from the transfer switch).

Check where the shore power tether enters and exits the transfer switch.

While doing all the checks, watch closely for discolored insulation, crimped or wire cap terminals being loose or discolored, or anything else wire related that handles the 120vac, relevant to incoming power.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a thought, but do you know if the recall on the power distribution relay located in the electrical cabinet has been completed on this coach? There were some problems with some of the 2018 models when they went to the EMS system controlled by the Spyder system. There were a few that had burned contacts in the power shedding relays and there was a safety recall issued. A call to Tiffin customer service to find out if the recall was needed or done on that coach would be in order. You'll need the last six digits of your VIN and call or email Don Boyd 256-356-0261 or don.boyd@tiffinmotorhomes.com
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:51 AM   #10

Call Tiffin service department. They can probably tell you over the phone what it is and how to fix it. I’ve called them several times and they were very nice and helpful. And it’s free. Just a suggestion.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:52 AM   #11

I like to talk to them when I have a problem because as I said they’re very friendly and have been very helpful to me. If they can’t help you they can probably refer you to someone that can.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With ALL POWER REMOVED, remove the cover from the transfer switch and snug up the screws holding the wires.

If there's a powered cord reel it could be suspect. The contacts in it are a pretty common problem.

Ensure the shore power setting is at 30a or less.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You appear to have an issue with your inverter. When I loose power, my lights do not flicker. When I lose shore power, my only indication that I have a problem is my AC will shut off. Most of the appliances (refrigerator and sometimes microwave) will continue to operate on the inverter. With the inverter, it acts just like a giant UPS, so you shouldn't lose lights.

You should track down what is fed by your inverter. It does sound like you have an inverter issue.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power loss, shore power