Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
Member
 
kboucher's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 61
A few questions from a 10 day owner

Answer what you can and thanks in advance. I have a 2019 Open Road 36UA and I am trying to find out a few things.

1. I want to use the accessory side of the ignition to listen to the radio because it's connected to the surround sound. I can't do this because the buzzer dings when the Jacks are down in both positions. Does anyone else suffer this?

2. Am the only one that thinks it strange I am stuck with the problem of when you use your headlights and then park and forget to turn them off....NO NOISE AT ALL. Did mine not get wired or is there a way to turn that on as you all know the headlight suck for brightness and is easy to not see when you stop?

3. When I run my front and rear furnace they come on fine and run for a while but they just stop way short of the temperature I have set and I mean like 10 or more degrees. The little red flame is on and the fan down on the intake is running but no heat coming out of the vents??? I can turn them off and wait a few minutes and turn them back on and again they run fine for a while.?

Can you calibrate the sensors for the front and rear? Does anyone know where they are located? Could use some direction.

4. Steering wheel is a little off-center and I am not sure if it is worth the cost to center as it seems to steer fine and I do have a Safe-T bar on it.

Thanks so much for looking and any input.
__________________
2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA
kboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,522
Not a Tiffin owner but here are my thoughts on 1 and 3.

1. You should not have to have the key on to use the radio and surround sound. If mine was installed this way by the factory I would change it. I suspect it could be a switch you're missing maybe.

3. If your furnaces are cycling on/off but just at the wrong temps than it could just be the remote sensors. I believe they are just thermistors and have a certain resistance for a given temp. It would be fairly simple to unplug the remote sensors and just use the sensor at the thermstat to see how that works. The sensors that I'm familar with look a little bit like 1.5 to 2 inch little speakers on the wall. Often they are not in the best places for temp regulation.
__________________
1996 Tioga Class C
2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
TOAD 2012 Cadillac SRX 4
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Bethel, Minnesota
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
Answer what you can and thanks in advance. I have a 2019 Open Road 36UA and I am trying to find out a few things.



1. I want to use the accessory side of the ignition to listen to the radio because it's connected to the surround sound. I can't do this because the buzzer dings when the Jacks are down in both positions. Does anyone else suffer this?



2. Am the only one that thinks it strange I am stuck with the problem of when you use your headlights and then park and forget to turn them off....NO NOISE AT ALL. Did mine not get wired or is there a way to turn that on as you all know the headlight suck for brightness and is easy to not see when you stop?



3. When I run my front and rear furnace they come on fine and run for a while but they just stop way short of the temperature I have set and I mean like 10 or more degrees. The little red flame is on and the fan down on the intake is running but no heat coming out of the vents??? I can turn them off and wait a few minutes and turn them back on and again they run fine for a while.?



Can you calibrate the sensors for the front and rear? Does anyone know where they are located? Could use some direction.



4. Steering wheel is a little off-center and I am not sure if it is worth the cost to center as it seems to steer fine and I do have a Safe-T bar on it.



Thanks so much for looking and any input.


Radio switch on dash will allow you to use the radio when it is off.

I have the same RV you do, there is no lights on warning.

Not sure but what’s going on with furnace assuming it is not just a high temp cooldown, then relight. Haven’t noticed with mine.

My steering wheel was off a little from factory and I had a wheel alignment just to satisfy myself it was in specs(shop said it wasn’t for what that’s worth). Wheel still a little off center.

Ken
__________________
Ken & Char
2019 Open Road 36UA
East Bethel, Minnesota
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
3. When I run my front and rear furnace they come on fine and run for a while but they just stop way short of the temperature I have set and I mean like 10 or more degrees. The little red flame is on and the fan down on the intake is running but no heat coming out of the vents??? I can turn them off and wait a few minutes and turn them back on and again they run fine for a while.?
I found out (after several cold evenings) that there was a little trick to getting my furnace to work. Like you, I'd turn both units to "gas heat" and the fans would start blowing air so it seemed like they were working. Later as the outside temperature dropped it was apparent that they weren't working. It was too cold to run them in heat pump mode.

The solution which I discovered by accident (I didn't have the manuals) was to turn the gas heating on for the WATER HEATER. I don't know why it was set up this way but it may be the same for you if you have an Aqua Hot or similar furnace. It wasn't sufficient just to set the thermostats to "gas heat"' but to also have the water heater set for gas too.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2013 Nissan Xterra S 4WD manual transmission
jeskibuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
When I run my front and rear furnace they come on fine and run for a while but they just stop way short of the temperature I have set and I mean like 10 or more degrees.
Q: Have you tried setting the thermostat for a higher temperature than you want to see if it can get the temperature to where you want it? That would indicate that the heat is working but the sensors aren't functioning properly.
__________________
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2013 Nissan Xterra S 4WD manual transmission
jeskibuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
Answer what you can and thanks in advance. I have a 2019 Open Road 36UA and I am trying to find out a few things.

3. Can you calibrate the sensors for the front and rear? Does anyone know where they are located? Could use some direction.

4. Steering wheel is a little off-center and I am not sure if it is worth the cost to center as it seems to steer fine and I do have a Safe-T bar on it.

Thanks so much for looking and any input.
3. The sensors are the small white devices mounted in the ceiling next to a return (driver side) vent. There is one front and one rear. They are Thermistors, an electronic device that varies electrical resistance with temperature. The Spyder reads the resistance and displays the temperature. I do not know of any way to calibrate the reading, I believe this is embedded in the Spyder software. Are your temperature readings reasonably accurate? If so, not a sensor problem. Based on your description it sounds like you have furnace problems where they run for a while and then lock out.

4. If the rig drives well and no unusual tire wear then no need for an alignment. The F53 does not have the ability to center the steering wheel by adjusting right and left tie rods as is done with an automobile. It does not have right and left tie rods. There is a short non-adjustable steering link from the steering gearbox to the left knuckle. And and adjustable tie rod from that left knuckle across to the right side. The steering gearbox and link can be seen shining a light across the top of the driver tire. The single tie ride is plainly visible running right to left between the front wheels.

The steering wheel is centered, roughly, by removing the splined connection from the steering shaft on the top of the steering box, rotating to the desired position, and reinstalling. This provides a coarse adjustment to the nearest 10 or 15 degrees of rotation. Google “center F53 steering wheel” to locate discussions on how this process is done. In 5e end you never drive with the wheel straight anyways because of road crown, side winds, truck ruts etc. so it’s not much worth chasing no matter how OCD one’s personality.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,442
I don't think your furnace issue has anything to do with the thermistors. The temps on your display are being provided by your thermistors. If the furnace is shutting off before hitting the temperature shown on your display then something else is going on and has nothing to do with the thermistor.
1) Make sure your propane valve is fully open. Be sure that you don't open the valve too quickly. It needs to be a slow and deliberate opening or sometimes you can cause problems with the propane delivery to your system.
2) When the furnace shuts down, the gas first shuts off and then the fan runs for a period of time until everything shuts down. If your gas is turning off prematurely and you're not reaching the temperature that you set on your thermostat, it's possible you're tripping some kind of a limit in the furnace to cause the gas to be shut off prematurely. You need to check your manual to see how to troubleshoot a premature shutdown.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2018 Chevy Malibu
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #8
Member
 
kandcbend's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
The steering wheel is centered, roughly, by removing the splined connection from the steering shaft on the top of the steering box, rotating to the desired position, and reinstalling. This provides a coarse adjustment to the nearest 10 or 15 degrees of rotation. Google “center F53 steering wheel” to locate discussions on how this process is done. In 5e end you never drive with the wheel straight anyways because of road crown, side winds, truck ruts etc. so it’s not much worth chasing no matter how OCD one’s personality.
Exact Center...something new... not yet available for RVs, but they say it is coming. I ordered one for our Jeep Wrangler, so we'll see how it works. Lots of discussion pro and con on this forum and on JL Wrangler forum... link below...

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...xactcenter.php
kandcbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:19 AM   #9
Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 54
If your steering isn't centered it may mean the safe t plus needs adjustment or was never adjusted correctly by PO.

Some folks do bias the steering to correct for road crown. Mine was set up with wheel centered and i have never had an issue with the road crown

Laird Bruster
2020 32 SA
windfall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:23 AM   #10
Member
 
kboucher's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 61
Thank you for your answers and DUH on my part about the switch for the radio. I think I will let the steering wheel go as its just a little off.
__________________
2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA
kboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #11
Member
 
kboucher's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Q: Have you tried setting the thermostat for a higher temperature than you want to see if it can get the temperature to where you want it? That would indicate that the heat is working but the sensors aren't functioning properly.
I will try that and I did raise it about 5 degrees above what I wanted but the reading on the control panel never got even close to the temperature I set. I mean like 8 to degrees off, I had it set both front and back at 73 and after hours and a lot of propane later the reading was 64 front and 62 back and the furnace was still running. You can feel hot air coming out of the floor vents though.
__________________
2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA
kboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
I will try that and I did raise it about 5 degrees above what I wanted but the reading on the control panel never got even close to the temperature I set. I mean like 8 to degrees off, I had it set both front and back at 73 and after hours and a lot of propane later the reading was 64 front and 62 back and the furnace was still running. You can feel hot air coming out of the floor vents though.
Okay, this is different than what you described before. What is the outside temperature you are dealing with? Also, do you have a separate thermometer you can use to compare with the reading you are seeing on your display. You need to know if there is a disparity and if your display is off. Finally, you need to get hold of a copy of your manual for your temperature display and your furnace. It will be a lot better to have data in front of you instead of guessing what's going on.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2018 Chevy Malibu
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
Member
 
kboucher's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
Okay, this is different than what you described before. What is the outside temperature you are dealing with? Also, do you have a separate thermometer you can use to compare with the reading you are seeing on your display. You need to know if there is a disparity and if your display is off. Finally, you need to get hold of a copy of your manual for your temperature display and your furnace. It will be a lot better to have data in front of you instead of guessing what's going on.

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
The outside was around 20 to 25 degrees. I will get a separate thermometer and compare it. I do not have a temperature display to speak of or I don't know where it is, the only reading I see is on the main control panel.
__________________
2019 Allegro Open Road 36UA
kboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mike8253's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
The outside was around 20 to 25 degrees. I will get a separate thermometer and compare it. I do not have a temperature display to speak of or I don't know where it is, the only reading I see is on the main control panel.
OK. I have an older Open Road than you so wasn't sure where your temps were displayed. Mine are displayed on the two thermostats. The thermostat for the front A-C/Heat Pump unit also has the control for our (single) propane furnace and displays the temp reading from the thermistor in the LR ceiling. The bedroom A-C (only) thermostat displays the temp reading from the thermistor in the BR ceiling.

Just be aware that with the temps in the mid to low 20's your propane furnace is going to constantly be cycling on and off as it tries to maintain temperature. These RV's just aren't insulated well for 4-season use. See if you can put some insulating material into your two Fantastic Fan openings to keep the cold out. Also, if you are hooked up to 50amp power, you would do yourself a favor, especially with those temps, to get an auxiliary electric heater to assist with the heating load. You might also consider window insulation, for the evenings anyway, if you're going to see those temps often.
__________________
Mike and Cindy
2016 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA
2018 Chevy Malibu
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thor Axis/Vegas Owner's I have a few questions. lakings10 Thor Industries Owner's Forum 17 01-02-2015 09:29 AM
New Owner of 2004 Dolphin LX 6342 - a few questions caheath National RV Owner's Forum 16 09-22-2014 09:26 AM
Coachmen: 2013 Freelander 32BH owner and a few questions. HSR-Russ Forest River Owners Forum 4 02-09-2013 12:41 PM
New TT owner with a few questions... Conan42 Travel Trailer Discussion 5 04-20-2012 01:10 AM
new owner, 84 Elandan...A few questions though... 84elandan Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 03-10-2007 01:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.