Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
AAA Roadside Assistance

Has anyone used AAA for Roadside Assistance?
Here in AZ I was quoted $159 per year that INCLUDES all other vehicles. The cost alone for other vehicles is $59 making the RV assistance $100.
Ken Duvall
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #2

We have it in AZ but haven't had to use it with the motorhome. Have used it with cars and it was fine. One thing I read is that AAA now limits its tow cost to max $500, not nearly enough for a motorhome tow.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:52 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had AAA for years, had the RV plus or whatever it’s called. Never had to use it but after reading several posts about their lack of response and lack of properly prepared towing services we canceled and went with CoachNet.
Do a search for AAA towing of MHs and check this forum too.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #4

I have been with Coach Net since 1999
They have been fantastic.
I’ll never change
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:06 AM   #5

I use Good Sam for emergency road service on my RV. I also have their "extended warranty" package to cover my 7-year-old motorhome.

Haven't needed to use it in a few years, but the last time I needed it, they responded quickly and provided the services I needed at no extra charge.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
Here in AZ I was quoted $159 per year that INCLUDES all other vehicles. The cost alone for other vehicles is $59 making the RV assistance $100.
Ken Duvall
AAA was very poor first time we needed a tow. They sent three different trucks (4-5 hours). All of them small and had no idea what to do. State Farm just reimbursed me. Picked who I wanted to tow rv.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
AAA was very poor first time we needed a tow. They sent three different trucks (4-5 hours). All of them were small and had no idea what to do. State Farm just reimbursed me. Picked who I wanted to tow rv.
We had exactly the same experience....broke down around noon and by the time the third (correct truck showed up) and we got to our destination 35 miles away it was 11 PM at night

I'm sure the tow cost was well in excess of the now $500 limit, guess it's time to make a change....it's just that I've been with AAA for 50 years
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
PKI

Coach-net good/AAA good at what they do well

We set up AAA coverage on the TV and TT. We used AAA for years and now still retain it for auto coverage. When we purchased the MoHo, we used the free coverage for a year and moved to Coach-net after that. It's not so much abut cost as it is having the service you need when you need it.

The AAA is problematic, because it is variable in coverage and quality of service from state to state/county to county. We used it because we believed we could deal with the shortfalls.

IOHO, the Coach-net coverage is the best roadside assistance option.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We set up AAA coverage on the TV and TT. We used AAA for years and now still retain it for auto coverage. When we purchased the MoHo, we used the free coverage for a year and moved to Coach-net after that. It's not so much abut cost as it is having the service you need when you need it.

The AAA is problematic, because it is variable in coverage and quality of service from state to state/county to county. We used it because we believed we could deal with the shortfalls.

IOHO, the Coach-net coverage is the best roadside assistance option.
Why are still using AAA? Coach Net also covers your private vehicle.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:52 PM   #10
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Why are still using AAA? Coach Net also covers your private vehicle.
Gary - AAA provides other services in addition to roadside assistance and the AAA office is around the corner from my house so I can talk to them, face to face.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:44 AM   #11

I had read on here and elsewhere that AAA had limited its towing to $500. I was going to switch because of it. I called AAA AZ, where my policy is based. They assured me that towing was not limited except to 100 miles; no dollar limit. It must be variable by state or region.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #12

Smile Experience with AAA Towing

On a Sat. afternoon we were driving west in middle of Saskatchewan when the engine just stopped on our F53 chassis. After checking the simple stuff the wife called AAA for a tow. She gave them the gross weight multiple times and they still showed up with the wrong truck from 40 miles away. When the heavier truck finely showed up they towed us the a campground 2 miles away. Making certain we understood they would only pay for this tow.

While waiting for the heavier tow truck I called Ford's 24 hr RV support. They suggested checking thing I already had checked. Then had an actual mechanic call me back. He asked our mileage then stated that we were still under the original 36 Mo/36,000 mile Ford warranty. Then stated "This is clearly a Ford problem and we will take care of you". When the Ford heavy truck dealers opened Monday they arranged to have us towed 80 or 100 miles west even though going back east to Winnipeg was closer. The dealer had a mechanic on it immediately and we were on our way in two hours.

We switched to Coach Net and have been happy since. AAA was just fine until we needed them.

Brian
Brian O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:44 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendorado View Post
Ken Duvall
We have been faithful AAA users for 28 years, added RV Plus three years ago.

June 6th we were heading north on I-15 in CA, about 10 miles from the NV border when we got a stop engine light. Called AAA and they said they were dispatching a tow vehicle and should expect them to arrive in 45 min to an hour. AAA sent a text with info for the company that would come.

After an hour, my wife called the company. They said they turned the ticket back to AAA as they did not have the equipment to tow a 40’ motorhome, which we were very clear to AAA was what we had.

Called AAA again and were on hold for 30min. Lady said she would call all the tow companies on her “list”. We told her we had found four recommendations from the Cummins shop in Vegas…..not interested. An hour later the lady called and said she had exhausted all her contacts…said if we could find a commercial tow to the NV border and pay for it, AAA would work with us from there. I said”I pay AAA for towing service…why would I need to pay?” No love… that was all she could do.

We called the recommended companies and found only one that would come to us and get us to the place that would look at the problem. Cost….$1,150.00

The wife wrote a cheery review of a survey request. Keep in mind this was June 8th or so. AAA called on the 22nd and said they were so sorry, would send us a form to request reimbursement.

While at the Cummins shop on June 7th, saw a motorhome being towed in and the tow truck looked familiar. It was the same truck and same guy that rescued us. I talked with the owner and he said they were stuck on the side of the road for 21 hours!!!

Heard at a seminar that AAA may be getting out of the RV towing business by end of 2022 as they are losing $$ due to not having sufficient customers in their RV program. I already connected a new service branded through Tiffin and will drop the RV Plus service from AAA
YLBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:26 PM   #14

Last week a friend from Southern California called AAA for a 5 mile tow into Barstow. He was told $585 and since his limit was $500, he would have to pay the $85. He called the repair shop he was going to and asked for a recommendation. They sent a fellow that got him to the service shop in short order for $200. AAA did later agree to reimburse the $200 but this friend is now with Coach Net.

When we discussed the new $500 limit he ran into, we both looked up our AAA policies on-line. The web site needed a zip code before linking to the AAA Premier features. His indeed said $500 maximum. Mine said 200 miles and listed no cost limit.

When you go to the AAA Roadside Assistance web site, you see "AAA is a federation of independent clubs throughout the United States and Canada." and a place to enter your zip code. The plans that cover RV towing are clearly zip code dependent (for the time being, at least).

https://www.ace.aaa.com/membership/aaa-premier.html

The change from 200 miles to $500 on my friend's policy was recent. Others could be changing to a dollar limit as we speak. If mine changes, I'll switch to Coach Net but might keep a lesser AAA plan for other benefits.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote