Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

AC help really needed

I have an 07 Allegro 32ba FRED.

The AC has cold air coming out but it surely isn't blowing out nearly enough. Some vents can barely be felt working. On the return side vent 2 of them will suck up and hold a piece of paper to them but the rest of them will not even hold up a Kleenex. Anyone know where my problem is? It seems as though the fan on the unit ip top is working fine. I was in 94 degree heat the other day and RV was at 90 with AC running 5 hours at campground on shore power.

Thank you
Tim
rinker5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker5959 View Post
I have an 07 Allegro 32ba FRED.

The AC has cold air coming out but it surely isn't blowing out nearly enough. Some vents can barely be felt working. On the return side vent 2 of them will suck up and hold a piece of paper to them but the rest of them will not even hold up a Kleenex. Anyone know where my problem is? It seems as though the fan on the unit ip top is working fine. I was in 94 degree heat the other day and RV was at 90 with AC running 5 hours at campground on shore power.

Thank you
Tim
our coach has filters on the intake vents that get clogged fairly quickly with dust - I noticed a substantial decrease in airflow and just last week removed and cleaned all the filters and that seemed to do the trick.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

I have cleaned them and did my paper/Kleenex test with the vents and filters removed.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

Is this a new development or have the ACs always (whatever always means to your situation) operated this way? You could have kinked or disconnected tubes/ducts leading to or from your units with the poor flow.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

How many A/C units do you have? If 2, do they both exhibit the same condition?. Assuming you have a Dometic system, have you changed the Fan from Auto to Low and High and listened for the difference? You may need to get on the roof, remove the plastic cover, and (with the A/C OFF) check the fan manually. It should spin smoothly with very little resistance. How cold is the outlet air? ... it should be about 20 degrees cooler than the inlet temp .... measure with a thermometer or IR temp gun ... don't guess.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

I just purchased this a few months ago. I just became aware of the problem when I started using the air about 6 weeks ago.

I have checked the fan on the unit and it spins freely with a swipe of the finger. I measured the air temp exiting the vent that blows hard and it was 19 degrees below ambient (IR laser thermometer). It has just the one ducted unit with no access to it from the inside of the coach. It is a Coleman unit. I don't have model number handy but can get it.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

I have had a problem with the coils freezing up or icing up, To solve I turn the fan on with out the compressor for a while.
The coils inside the ac could be plugged, I took my ac unites off the coach, removed the covers and washed the coils.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #8

The air is cold, it just doesn't flow out enough in my opinion. I've cleaned the coils and fins have all been brushed out.

I have a Coleman 8535D876
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

Another question also, can this unit be removed and replaced all from the roof? The ceiling inside is all one piece with no access panel. Surely the interior ceiling doesn't have to come down does it?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
I just purchased this a few months ago. I just became aware of the problem when I started using the air about 6 weeks ago.

I have checked the fan on the unit and it spins freely with a swipe of the finger. I measured the air temp exiting the vent that blows hard and it was 19 degrees below ambient (IR laser thermometer). It has just the one ducted unit with no access to it from the inside of the coach. It is a Coleman unit. I don't have model number handy but can get it.
Sounds like you have done your homework. I'm not familiar with Coleman but the specs call for an inside airbox/ceiling assembly.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...iling-assy.htm
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #11

So the interior ceiling has to come down? I would think the ceiling is glue up there. I can't imagine an enormous design flaw such as that making it through to production.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
The ceiling inside is all one piece with no access panel.
No access panel? How do you clean the return air filter?

Sounds like the separation between return and supply air may be compromised. But you need access to verify and fix.

The Airxcel website directs you to http://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976529.pdf for the Operation and Maintenance manual for the unit with the model number you provided. See figures 1 and 2 in this manual. Does your unit have these panels?
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
So the interior ceiling has to come down? I would think the ceiling is glue up there. I can't imagine an enormous design flaw such as that making it through to production.
No ... I'm saying the topside unit may have been installed directly over the ducts .... Newmar does that. You can access the ductwork by unbolting the unit from the top but a new square gasket will be needed to put it back in place. If the unit is unbolted and raised, you should be able to determine if the unit itself has sufficient output air flow. I'm not familiar with a Coleman install on your RV but it sounds like you have a crossover leak .... the cold side is leaking into the warm side before circulating in the RV. Probably directly under the unit where there is a separator baffle/gasket.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
No access panel? How do you clean the return air filter?

Sounds like the separation between return and supply air may be compromised. But you need access to verify and fix.

The Airxcel website directs you to http://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976529.pdf for the Operation and Maintenance manual for the unit with the model number you provided. See figures 1 and 2 in this manual. Does your unit have these panels?

I don't have one return filter. Each return vent (9 of them) all have a round filter in them. I've taken those all out and cleaned them and also run without for a minute to no avail. I'll take the unit out this week and investigate. Thank you everyone for the help.