Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Added a Roadmaster Aux Rear Sway Bar to my Tiffin Wayfarer

I have to admit that I've never really seen sway as problem while driving, even in the windiest storms and conditions. However, turning into driveways would definitely cause the rig to rock back and forth a time or two. My wife wasn't a big fan of that part.

I saw that Roadmaster had introduced a new 1.5" diameter rear auxiliary sway bar that retains the factory bar in back. This one mounts in front of the drive axle and differential and has bends in it to clear the drive shaft. My wife decided to get me one installed as a Christmas gift.

Luckily Roadmaster is just across the river from where I live and they were able to get me an installation appointment (note, demand is so high on adding these to Sprinter-based RVs they are backed up by about 10 weeks at the time of this post in terms of manufacturing them). I was out of the shop in about 2 and a half hours.

The results? No more rocking back and forth as I turn into or go out of driveways. Yay!!! I guess I didn't really realize how much sway there had been before until I felt the after installation experience. And, admittedly, whereas I didn't think I really had any sway issues under normal driving I really can tell the rig was more firmly planted now. Downside? The only thing I noticed was that the ride isn't as smooth as it was given the rear suspension doesn't absorb all the bumps. Wasn't bad though and I don't regret doing it. I may be retightening some screws more often though given more road vibrations make it to the back of the rig.

Details:
Item #1209-131
Rear Aux sway bar 1 1/2 diameter retains factory bar.
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/1209-131.pdf
Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #2

I had the same issues, pulling in and out of driveways and over bumps. I installed the Helwig sway bar on my 2020 RW (Sprinter 2019 chassis) and the difference was amazing. It goes in pretty easily in place of the original part and works GREAT! I did it myself. The only thing that I needed that I didn't have with me was a Torque Wrench to ensure proper install. I had to get the rear tires on blocks to give me about 5" of additional clearance to make it more comfortable to work under the chassis.
bparelskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #3

It was a huge pain and it added a lot of weight (because of some required adaptor plates) but I would not dream of driving my FRED without this addition. I also added a trac-bar which makes our toad almost un-noticeable.
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 05:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I had the Roadmaster Aux Rear Sway Bar installed today. I haven't tested it on uneven driveways, but I could tell a difference in handling just on regular roads. Thanks for the recommendation and the review.
Juno 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Question, does the sway bar help the swirl and roll you get when passing a vehicle on the highway?

I'm new to the Wayfarer and noticed some pretty severe sway when passing vehicles - obviously 18-wheel trucks are the worst but noticed it also with smaller vehicles that I wouldn't typically expect to cause such sway.
EngMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 05:48 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngMarc View Post
Question, does the sway bar help the swirl and roll you get when passing a vehicle on the highway?

I'm new to the Wayfarer and noticed some pretty severe sway when passing vehicles - obviously 18-wheel trucks are the worst but noticed it also with smaller vehicles that I wouldn't typically expect to cause such sway.
I only had it on one short freeway drive home after installation, so I couldn't say quite yet, but Mark said that it did help his Wayfarer.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post
I only had it on one short freeway drive home after installation, so I couldn't say quite yet, but Mark said that it did help his Wayfarer.
As stated in my original post, I really never experienced any noticeable sway due to wind or passing vehicles while driving, even during some nasty storms while driving mountain passes. Perhaps the roads in Oregon and the western U.S. are wider and better maintained than most. That said, it does appear to be more firmly planted now. Given it doesn't rock as bad entering driveways (home, gas stations, stores, etc.), I would imagine it would hold better under other conditions as well.

I honestly think the older Sprinter chassis do a better job than the new ones without anti-sway assistance, but that's just an opinion.

I would say if you don't like the sway now, whatever you are experiencing today will be reduced if you chose to have it installed. Reduced enough to your liking? That I cannot say.

Best,
-Mark
Old 12-28-2022, 04:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, I'll get under it and check out what's there on the 2021 Sprinter chassis. I've got some work to do under there so will figure out what's there and the possibilities when I'm under it. Depends on weather for now since I don't have a large enough inside area to work on it.

EngMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngMarc View Post
Thanks, I'll get under it and check out what's there on the 2021 Sprinter chassis. I've got some work to do under there so will figure out what's there and the possibilities when I'm under it. Depends on weather for now since I don't have a large enough inside area to work on it.

Just for some reference... Here are a couple of images from a MB Sprinter 3500 OEM online parts book. On the older units (like my 2018) you see what appears to be a beafier down link (Part 6) with U joint mountings top and bottom whereas on a 2021 the down link (Part 4) sits off to the side and mounts on the side with long bolts (no U brackets), which I assume is simpler to manufacture, but then allows for more side to side wobble on the newer chassis.

Photo from under my rig at the factory while they were making final fabrication inspections. I haven't taken any photos yet of my Roadmaster auxiliary anti-sway bar that mounts in front of the differential, but it is a pretty cool setup that leaves the factory bar in place.

Best,
-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBSprinterRearStailizerBarAssembly-2018.png
Views:	28
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	383422   Click image for larger version

Name:	MBSprinterRearStailizerBarAssembly-2021.png
Views:	20
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	383423  

Name:	IMG_3329.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	383424  
Old 12-29-2022, 05:55 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
It was my understanding that MB upgraded the OEM sway bar in 2020. Not really sure, but I know that before that, Dynamax used to replace the OEM part with a Hellwig sway bar and they stopped doing that. Here's a picture of the sway bar on my 2021 chassis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221009_104024958.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	383462  
Old 01-08-2023, 02:16 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
UPDATE: So I finally had the RV out of storage for a few hours and a long drive around town. I'm really pleased with the effects of this addition. I know it adds weight (about 70 lbs.) to an already over-weight RV, but the handling is significantly improved. The rolling effect is not completely gone but is greatly diminished.

I appreciate the help in making this decision. I'm glad I did it!
Old 11-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #12

An answer I have been trying to get from Roadmaster, should I install the factory replacement bar, the auxiliary bar, or both?
sbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 05:08 PM   #13

Please let us know what Roadmaster has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
An answer I have been trying to get from Roadmaster, should I install the factory replacement bar, the auxiliary bar, or both?
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Please let us know what Roadmaster has to say.
---

With the sway bars, we offer the auxiliary kit gives the biggest night-to-day difference since we are adding to the chassis and helping with something added to the direct issue. If customers are seeking more after the auxiliary, then we recommend the replacement of the stock sway bar if we offer a kit.

----

I am tending more towards the Hellwig replacement bar (7777) instead, as it is the least extensive modification, and doesn't add much to the chassis weight.
sbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear, roadmaster, sway, sway bar, tiffin