Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Adding battery monitor and solar panels

Where we store our 2013 TGA we don't have power and have run into battery discharge problems so we just ordered two solar panels, controller and recommended components that we will install shortly. We do have a portable solar panel but really can't use this in the storage lot for fear that it could walk away so that's why we plan to mount two panels on the roof. We are also adding a Victron battery monitor so that we'll be able to better know the condition of our two 6V house batteries. Our batteries are only two years old and need to be replaced immediately so that will be the first step.
I already have the new battery monitor so I'm looking for the best location to mount the shunt since our batteries are under our steps and can get wet while driving. The battery monitor plugs into the shunt with a UTP cable that shouldn't get wet. I'm curious how anyone may have done this.
Comments and suggestions will be most appreciated. Photos would be awesome! Thanks!
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Where we store our 2013 TGA we don't have power and have run into battery discharge problems so we just ordered two solar panels, controller and recommended components that we will install shortly. We do have a portable solar panel but really can't use this in the storage lot for fear that it could walk away so that's why we plan to mount two panels on the roof. We are also adding a Victron battery monitor so that we'll be able to better know the condition of our two 6V house batteries. Our batteries are only two years old and need to be replaced immediately so that will be the first step.
I already have the new battery monitor so I'm looking for the best location to mount the shunt since our batteries are under our steps and can get wet while driving. The battery monitor plugs into the shunt with a UTP cable that shouldn't get wet. I'm curious how anyone may have done this.
Comments and suggestions will be most appreciated. Photos would be awesome! Thanks!

On my Victron I put the shunt in a plastic container and tie wrapped to the battery cable. Ran the cables out of the container with rubber grommets. Should be pretty safe from environmental damage.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tony - can you share which panels you purchased and any other accessories to accomplish you goal other than the Victron? PM is fine if you prefer not to post.
Thanking you,
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Solar

We ordered our panels from Solar Panel Store in Colorado. These are Go Power panels and connecting components. We ordered the 130 watt portable panel from them in October and have been pleased with that unit and the service and prices from them. They speced out the Victron controller and temp sensor, which was what we'd received from a fellow in Red Bay that we had received a bid from when we were at Tiffin for work last February.
I'm learning as I go with the solar but so far so good. With our storage situation (no electric power) having solar to keep our house batteries charged alone is a major reason for our decision to add solar capacity. We're hoping that the combination of a couple of fixed panels and the portable panel that we can position to get maximum sun will serve us well. We'll post how all this plays out.
Tony
Old 02-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Paul,
I'll be glad to share our list of materials once we receive the order and have time to make sure all is looking good.
Tony
Old 02-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Rich,
A container or weatherproof junction box are things I have considered. I looked at running a battery cable into a basement storage bay but I'd like to not have to do that. The battery compartment under our stairs is pretty tight spacewise and I'm worried that I could damage the container with the shunt putting in the batteries. I'll go back and look at that. Is yours located under the steps?
Tony
Old 02-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
our batteries are under our steps and can get wet while driving
Seems if you fix the water spray issue you can solve a few problems at once. Lots easier to keep batteries clean that aren't getting dirty in the first place. Mine are under the steps and some plastic sheet affixed over the gaps with silicone and the batteries shunt and cabling are happy.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:20 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Mark,
I'll look into the plastic idea. That would have some additional benefit. I am doubtful because of the movement of the stair mechanism, getting sealant to adhere to the metal and the effects of wind but that would be a potential solution. I might be able to drill some holes and use metal or plastic strips to hold a sheet in place. I'll check it out tomorrow.
I did try a plastic junction box from Home Depot but it was too small for the shunt so that will go back. I was hoping to find a clam-shell type enclosure but didn't see anything like that at HD. Internet searching may uncover something. I do wonder on heat build-up so I'll have to monitor that with whatever I try.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tony
Old 02-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #9

I put one 200 Watt panel on the roof and the Victron monitor and it keeps the system nicely charged. As for the shunt a rubber stretch tape will do the job found at any hardware store. You will need to put the solar controller inside, not waterproof.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Rich,
A container or weatherproof junction box are things I have considered. I looked at running a battery cable into a basement storage bay but I'd like to not have to do that. The battery compartment under our stairs is pretty tight spacewise and I'm worried that I could damage the container with the shunt putting in the batteries. I'll go back and look at that. Is yours located under the steps?
Tony

On the Phaeton they are on a pull out tray. The shunt is relatively small and I would be surprised if you could not find a container to work.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Mark,
I'll look into the plastic idea. That would have some additional benefit. I am doubtful because of the movement of the stair mechanism, getting sealant to adhere to the metal and the effects of wind but that would be a potential solution.
This is a rigid plastic sheet called expanded PVC. Comes in colors but I just use black. 1/8" thick, very durable, impervious to battery acid. Cuts/shapes with woodcutting tools. Once you have some you'll come up with all sorts of uses for it. I like using silicone as an adhesive when I can because it's very durable but removable if you have to. Never a problem getting it to adhere to just about any clean surface. Otherwise you can use structural adhesive. For longer spans or additional stiffness you can whip up a brace or frame out of angle steel or aluminum. All of this stuff you can source through home improvement stores. If your batteries are continually exposed to dirt and moisture keeping terminations from getting crudded up and the box being a general mess will be a continual problem. The battery box on mine was mostly enclosed so it only took a few strips to block off the direct air entry, sounds like yours might need a more involved enclosure fabrication. For other projects like that I've enlisted the services of a local heating and A/C place which has a shop with some nice sheet metal facilities. They've whipped up some galvanized steel panels and brake-bent angled pieces for me that make for dandy durable enclosures.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor, panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels