Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Question Air compressor

on 2008 Phaeton can someone tell me where the air compressor is located? Book says in the front, someone told me it is beside the generator. I haven't located it.
Alibamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What model Phaeton?

If your talking about the air brake compressor, they are mounted to the diesel engine.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you want to access the compressed air fitting to use the engine compressor to fill your tires, that fitting is in the front compartment under the driver.

The compressor itself, as Dan said, is mounted on the engine.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I might be wrong on this, and if not wrong, I don't know when the change occurred... BUT... I thought the air tap was located near the generator in early model years prior to be moved to the first DS basement bay. I only mention this since the OP has a 2008.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

My 2008 is also in the left front compartment with the electrical stuff.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

I had found the air tap in the left front compartment but was only able to get 80 pounds of pressure from that tap. I was attempting to locate the compressor for this air tap to check if there was some blockage causing the lose of pressure.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

thanks for the info. I will check engine for compressor.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
80 psi sounds like either the engine was off or the system wasn't calling for more air. The normal high cutoff for the air system, when the engine is running, is 120 psi. You need to construct an air tap system that allows you to drop the pressure below 80 psi to trigger the compressor to start. The system will then go until the high limit (120 psi) is reached.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
80 psi sounds like either the engine was off or the system wasn't calling for more air. The normal high cutoff for the air system, when the engine is running, is 120 psi. You need to construct an air tap system that allows you to drop the pressure below 80 psi to trigger the compressor to start. The system will then go until the high limit (120 psi) is reached.
X2!

I also use this technique with my portable air compressor.
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Rainy day so I did not check compressor but will lower pressure next time and see if that will cause compressor to raise pressure. Thanks for the info you have been great. I am not new to a motorhome just new to a diesel.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibamafan View Post
Rainy day so I did not check compressor but will lower pressure next time and see if that will cause compressor to raise pressure. Thanks for the info you have been great. I am not new to a motorhome just new to a diesel.
Just to be clear on this, the compressor actually runs all the time.
There is a regulator (bypass) which limits the pressure to 120PSI.
If you have a home compressor, you are somewhat familiar with this in that the compressor runs until it reaches a max limit and shuts off.
It will not turn back on until the pressure drops 30psi or so.

Same for your coach. So the gauges can read anywhere from 90psi -120psi. The bypass will release and allow air to enter the tanks when it sees about 90psi. You will here the famous "burp" when the tanks reach 120PSI.

So your goal is to only inflate the tires when the tank pressure is higher than the tire pressure. That is why you need to bleed off air to get the compressor to kick in and bring the pressure back up. As soon as you see the tank PSI is higher than your tire, start inflating...the compressor will keep pumping.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #12

For whatever it's worth here is a picture of a McGyver device I made(after seeing it on this forum). One gauge reads the tire pressure and one gauge reads the pressure in the compresser tank. The valve is used to decrease pressure in tank until compressor is triggered to run. I attach it to a Porter Cable unit in one of my storage compartments rather than to the access port to the mh air as I don't want to have to start up the motor home and idle it every time I need air.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1452105200.604754.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	115837

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Thanks, the info has been very helpful. Releasing the pressure to activate the compressor works fine.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Remember that the air pressure keep the brakes from contacting the drums while you are rolling down the road. BUT, if you lose pressure and the pressure goes below 42 pounds, the brakes will lock up where ever you are. So, if you lose pressure you should immediately pull off the road because it won't be long before you will be in a full skid.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor