Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Air Control Valves

Greetings,

I own a 1995 Allegro Bus and am having an issue with suspension air control valves.

A month ago I noticed that the drivers side rear air bag would not inflate. I took it into the local Freightliner shop and they replaced the valve. The reason it was not working was the linkage was broken off the valve stem. It was written off to age.

Yesterday while returning from a camping trip I noticed that the ride was pretty rough so stopped and discovered that both left and right rear bags were deflated. Looking more closely I saw that the linkage was broken off both valves, again, at the valve stem. I called the shop, they suggested I not drive with deflated bags and dispatched a mechanic. Fortunately I was only about 15 miles from the shop so he was able to get there quickly and assess the issue.

What he discovered has me concerned and curious. He had a brand new valve with him (they only had one in stock) and he showed me how easy the valve stem should turn to control air to the bags. Both of the rear valves on my coach were completely stuck. He could not turn the stem with vise grips.

To get me rolling he bypassed the valves and inflated the airbags and had me drive (carefully) into the shop. They are now digging into how/what/why.

I am curious if anyone here has had a similar experience or has knowledge of how/what could freeze the valves. Had it been below freezing I would have considered water in the line, but it was 75 degrees yesterday. As an aside even though the rig is just over 25 years old, it has less than 50K miles on it and except for these valves runs like a dream.

I am not looking forward to the bill on this, but I guess that is the cost of owning equipment like this. I do know that I can't afford to replace valves every time I use the rig.

Thanks,
Andy
Medford, Oregon
AJossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
It sounds like there could be some "crud" or corrosion in the air lines. That could cause the valves to stick. It may require a complete blowout or cleaning of the air system and a new filter/dryer.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Resolution and Reccomendation for service in Southern Oregon (I-5)

Thanks for the reply Lt Dan.

Fortunately there was no foreign matter found in the system (good news!). Once they got my rig in the shop and dug into it they determined that the bushings on the passenger side valve failed causing the valve to stick and break the linkage. Subsequently that linkage flailing around struck the drivers side valve and knocked the linkage off if it. Why the field mechanic stated both valves were frozen I can't say.

Resolution was to replace both valves.

If anyone in the Southern Oregon area needs mechanical work done on their DP I strongly recommend Northwest Freightliner in Medford. I am not affiliated with them in anyway other than a very satisfied customer. They are just off I-5 in Medford. The shop is large, and I see motor homes there all the time, and service writers are friendly.

I recommend them because in late May I had an issue with the rear driver side air control valve, they were able to replace the valve and get e on the road overnight. When I contacted them last week from the road, they dispatched a mechanic who got me rolling and followed me to the shop. They then diagnosed and repaired the issue. Because I had recently had work completed on one of the affected valves they only charged me parts for one valve.

Three days in the shop, and two new valves for less than $100. Hard to beat that level of customer service.
AJossy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, valve