RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Air force one

We are considering a 21 Tiffin 40IP which comes standard with AFO installed on the coach... Does anyone know approx how much it costs to have AFO installed on the tow vehicle? Any feedback on your experiences with tow braking systems would be greatly appreciated? One of my neighbors has "Brake Buddy" installed on his tow and after adjusting the tow weight to about 3,000LBS in tow weight versus actual 5,000LBS seems to work well for his configuration (he has a 36 ft gas rig). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't tell you the exact cost but you will enjoy the convenience of just hooking up an air line instead of placing a portable unit. What you will need is the second vehicle kit which looks like it's around $870. I have the M&G system and love it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

I have the AFO and love the convenience of just hooking up the truck (to include the air line) and am ready to go. No extra box to put in the truck at the brake pedal. The braking seems pretty good so far, my toad has lights on the opposite side of the truck rear view mirror so when the brakes are applied to the RV I can see the lights in the truck from camera to know they are engaged.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I can't tell you the exact cost but you will enjoy the convenience of just hooking up an air line instead of placing a portable unit. What you will need is the second vehicle kit which looks like it's around $870. I have the M&G system and love it.
+1 on the M&G. Our second CR-V with it.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Does the M&G hook into the Tiffin OEM airline? Manual calls it Vacuum line.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You will need to check and see if your TOAD needs a battery charging line installed as well. Many newer Ford products do or the car’s systems will drain the battery in a couple hours. Call Demco and ask their tech service personnel, they are knowledgeable of such things. They can also point you to a good shop in your area.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #7

We have the M&G system and all it takes to hook up is an air line. Very pleased with this braking system.

Our experience has been to have a charge line as well, which is integrated into the electrical connectors.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a choice, Air force 1 all the way. It offers proportional braking, which means every time you break, the car breaks at the same rate using the air from the RV air brakes to initiate. This can only be used on Diesel coaches with air brakes.
The Brake Buddy plugs into the cars battery system. It has centrifugal braking, which means when the car is stopping, the inertia pushes forward, which in turn causes the brake to apply by pushing on the cars brake pedal.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

The kit is between 880 and 1000. You can price it online. The install depends on your vehicle. Apparently some cars are harder to get at than others and will require more time for the installation. As you know, they will charge by the hour for the install. I think my install in my Jeep Gladiator was around $500.
Rocketman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #10

We have the Blue Ox Patriot II braking system, which is like your friend's Brake Buddy. It costs $1239 on Amazon and would require the installation of a breakaway cable in your vehicle. It takes only a couple of minutes to put it in our car and attach it to the car's brake pedal. We do that while the car is idling in neutral for 3 minutes as required for our Honda CR-V to be flat towed. It has worked fine for the past 4 years, but you do have to take it in and out each time you use it. We don't find it to be very inconvenient, and if you change your toad, you can use the system in the new toad.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed the Air Force One system in our Jeep. It was pretty simple and online retailers have videos on how to do it. You just need to run a 1/4 hose from the front to a module that I set on top of the Fuse box under the hood. Cut into a couple of vacuum lines and them attached the Piston to the brake peddle.

This part was way easier than adding the needed hardware to the Coach.

Look at the Videos that online sellers have. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #12

I installed on our 2021 Wrangler Unlimited. Very easy install. Hardest part was routing the 1/4 air hose and breakaway switch wires from the hitch to the control panel. Really congested under the hood.
After doing the installation once I think I could do it in less than 2 hours if I did it again.
Mooshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Brake Buddy on my Dutch Star and I now have an AF1 on my London Aire. No comparison. The AF1 is way easier to set up. You just hook up the air line, less then a minute, and you're on your way. I also feel the braking is more responsive, as the toad brakes are doing exactly what the coach brakes are doing.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:05 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Our new 2019 Phaeton 40IH did not have the installed AF1, so I had the dealer install before pickup. Absolutely love the system, and the hookup to toad couldn't be simpler with quick connect air hose. We had a brake buddy on previous MH/toad setup and hated having to be down on your knees & standing on your head to put in and take out.

I installed the AF1 components on my 2019 Colorado Z71 myself so only additional expense was the AFO box itself, the battery disconnect switch, tail light adapter, and 6-way plug on grille.
I think I saved about $600 in labor alone, along with no markup on parts.
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air