Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
jr1

Air horn not working '11 Phaeton 36QSH

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH - Freightliner custom chassis. Air Horns quit. No power at side dash selector switch. First assumption - fuse. Manuals do not say where this is. Did not see a fuse labelled air horn in the forward driver side basement fuse compartment. Anyone know where this fuse is?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Is your coach equiped with a smart wheel ?
Old 05-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
jr1

No, Skip, standard wheel - same shape, no built in switches.
Standard beep-beep horn works. The air horn selector switch is a Carlton rocker in the driver's side dash under the side window. Rang it out with a test meter (Yes, ingnition on as well - even though it works off). No power at the switch. So low hanging fruit is the fuse.... if I could find it.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
See if you can find the solenoid that powers the air valve and jumper it to make sure that works. Then you can work backward and look for an inline fuse. Perhaps the air horns were added after market, then fuse is probably inline. You might look at the main 12 v bus panel and see if you see a 'different' wire coming off a positive terminal.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
jr1

tough to get at the solenoid at the moment - it's parked by the house. I only have 2 inches for the dirver's mirror (folded in) and same on the other side from the awnings with the big arm mirror folded round the front. Good idea, though. They are stabdard Tiffin air horns. I'll have to wait till I get it out again. Dealer is finding out for me.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #6

You ever find the fuse? I'm dealing with the same issue on a 2007 Damon Tuscany on the same chassis.
EvilJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
02 Phanton, air horn is tied to chassis horn fuse. Should be located in chassis fuse box, on my unit "Horn Supply" in battery supply panel under steering column.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fuse location

Don't know if this helps, but you might pull the two draws out from the front center console. Inside there is a fuse box. Pull the cover and read fuse chart to see if your air horn fuse is there. Only takes about 2 to 5 minutes to gain access.

Hopes this helps.
John
John Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to dwaynederose Send a message via AIM to dwaynederose
On my 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T, I am trying to locate the airhorn fuses. Any ideas? How do I operate the airhorns? Flip the switch on the dash and then actuate the steering wheel horn? My 1st airhorns.
dwaynederose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynederose View Post
On my 2002 Winnebago Journey 32T, I am trying to locate the airhorn fuses. Any ideas? How do I operate the airhorns? Flip the switch on the dash and then actuate the steering wheel horn? My 1st airhorns.

That's the method , the switch is an on/off for the air horn solenoid.
Do you have air pressure built up? Are the electric horns operating ?
There is a fuse , for both the electric & air horns, a relay and an air solenoid.
Horn button , grounds the relay that feeds power from the fuse, to the electric horns and the air horn switch, with the switch on the power goes to the solenoid, that opens to supply air pressure to the horns .
Solenoid is the white plastic item in this photo, black plastic tube runs up to the horns. Solenoid needs a good ground to operate, that's the single wire above the yellow knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305 (640x360).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	98098  
Old 06-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While checking for power at the air horn sw., tap the steering wheel horn and see if you get power to the sw. check both sides. If you get a flash of power it is working right. If that works check at the solenoid. If there push the tube release and check for air. If good check for bugs or mud in horns. If no air give the solenoid a shot of silicon lube and try again.

Good Luck
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
That's the method , the switch is an on/off for the air horn solenoid.
Do you have air pressure built up? Are the electric horns operating ?
There is a fuse , for both the electric & air horns, a relay and an air solenoid.
Horn button , grounds the relay that feeds power from the fuse, to the electric horns and the air horn switch, with the switch on the power goes to the solenoid, that opens to supply air pressure to the horns .
Solenoid is the white plastic item in this photo, black plastic tube runs up to the horns. Solenoid needs a good ground to operate, that's the single wire above the yellow knob.
I can find the solenoid on top of the small air tank under the hood. The pressure in the tank is up. I'll recheck if power is there when I turn on the dash switch and then the steering wheel horn switch. If power is present I'll assume it is the solenoid, If not, I'll go fuse hunting.

Thanks for all your input. Looks like I have some more troubleshooting to do.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Try a jumper wire to the air solenoid directly. Also, while the contacts are disconnected, you can test them for power from the dash switches.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Airhorn troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
While checking for power at the air horn sw., tap the steering wheel horn and see if you get power to the sw. check both sides. If you get a flash of power it is working right. If that works check at the solenoid. If there push the tube release and check for air. If good check for bugs or mud in horns. If no air give the solenoid a shot of silicon lube and try again.

Good Luck
I checked the voltage and saw the flash of power, about 10-11 volts and the air tank below the solenoid has 110psi. That is good news to me. I'll check the solenoid next. I was able to download a procedure for removing and cleaning the solenoid. I'll try that soon. Thanks again for all your assistance and guidance.