Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #1

Air Tools Advice

Is it wise or legal to tie in a connection to the air supply in order to run air tools etc for tire changes. I think it would be useful but don't want to compromise the air brakes. Has anyone done this without compromising safety.
safehaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #2

Depending on you model of MH you might already have an air fitting. Mostly used for inflating tires. However, it will not provide the pressure and volume of air necessary to power up and impact wrench large enough to remove the lug nuts on a pusher. It's best to subscribe to a road service to change you tires.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a Freightliner chassis, there is a customer access point to the air system in the front bay below the driver. Most people use it to air up tires so I'm not sure if it would matter whether or not you ran something else off of it. The engine should probably be at high idle when doing this. If in doubt, ask Freightliner.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #4

I have a Freightliner and I installed a hose reel and air chuck in the front basement which a quick-connect so I can connect it to the customer port. I don't leave it connected as I don't want any sort of failure in the hose compromising my air brakes. That said, it's good for car tires, golf-cart tires, etc. The tires on the RV CAN be inflated, but you have to have someone inside watching the pressure on the gauges as the compressor can't really keep up. You could end up letting air OUT of your MH tires. And of course, the engine needs to be running.

I don't think you'd ever be able to run any sort of air tool because you're just not going to get the volume of air you need.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by safehaven View Post
Is it wise or legal to tie in a connection to the air supply in order to run air tools etc for tire changes. I think it would be useful but don't want to compromise the air brakes. Has anyone done this without compromising safety.
Many on this forum have used a tool called a torque multiplier to easily loosen the wheel nuts. Small tool, easy to store
and requires very little effort.......internal gearing multiplies your input many times to easily break loose even stubborn or rusted lug nuts.

But as others have suggested, don't attempt unless you have a clue what you are doing.... The tires and wheels on large RV's are HEAVY !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-846166735.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	54346  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
My MH has a air connection OEM under the front hood above the generator.
I don't think any DP has a engine air compressor that could put enough air out to run any air tool over a few seconds or much longer. Or could even run a air gun big enough to remove or put on lug nuts that take over 400 ft lb

Mine will only air a tire up to around 110 PSI.

I have had 2 Michelin zipper blow outs and just called my ERS and they took care of all the tools & labor needed for the tire change.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

RV compressor puts out 120-150 PSI which is fine for air tools, but it does NOT put out enough volume to keep the pressure at that level for more than a few seconds. 450-500 ft-lb of torque for wheel nuts requires tools bigger than an RV compressor can supply. A small air sander, small buffer or alike is just fine for intermittent use, but for anything bigger, you'll need a separate air compressor.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #8

Thanks for all the great advice again. I like the torque multiplier idea. The MH is a 1996 allegro we just recently got, but it did not come with manuals. I will look for that air connection. Hopefully it has one. It is an Oshkosh chassis, and I have had a lot of trouble getting chassis info. Been relying on folks like yourselves for help and advice. Thanks again.
safehaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice