Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Alarm goes off intermittently. Annoying

I have a 2007 Phaeton 40QSH and have been having the lighted alarm on the dash as well as the audible alarm go off, sometimes when it hits rough road and sometimes when the road is smooth. It can go off for 1/2 hour or 2 minutes. All the gauges are normal. The controller was replaced thinking that was the problem but no. I can drive for hours without it going off. I have learned to ignore it since no other warning light comes on. I may try to find the buzzer that makes the beeping/buzzing sound and muffle it so it isn't as loud.

Someone mentioned to me that an acquaintance of his had this problem and was told by a mechanic to bleed all the air out of the system then let it fill up again. He said that it stopped the alarm from going off.

Any one else have this problem?
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
What is the alarm for, low air, jacks down or something else?
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #3

So, I think you're talking about the audible alarm and warning light on your air system?

What do your two air gauges read when the alarm goes off? They're set to go off around 65 psi to warn you to pull off the road and get it looked at before more air escapes and you come to a screeching halt.

Get someone qualified to look at it ASAP.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If the RED dash light and alarm is on you have a jack dropping down off its switch. Check your leveling panel for red lights. Manually raise the jack if a level panel light goes red.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
If the RED dash light and alarm is on you have a jack dropping down off its switch. Check your leveling panel for red lights. Manually raise the jack if a level panel light goes red.
^^^^^^ What Kenny said!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
So, I think you're talking about the audible alarm and warning light on your air system?

What do your two air gauges read when the alarm goes off? They're set to go off around 65 psi to warn you to pull off the road and get it looked at before more air escapes and you come to a screeching halt.

The air gauges don't even move. One is about 75 and the other is a little more. Every time the alarm goes off the first thing I do is to check the air gauges as well as the others...no change. I'm wondering if there might be a loose connection somewhere that makes or breaks a contact when hitting a bump.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
What is the alarm for, low air, jacks down or something else?
I don't know. If it was for the jacks the alarm would be beeping at the level control panel and not in the dash. That happened with my last motor coach when a hydraulic line for the levelers broke. The alarm went off at the panel for the jacks and not in the dash. I would imagine that when the alarm on the dash goes off and there really is a problem, another light would tell where it is but only the exclamation point inside a circle symbol shows, no other lights.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
We are leaving for home today (Dayton to Mountain Home Arkansas) and I will take a look at the level panel again to see if anything lights up there.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post

As you know, it is very hard to find an intermittent problem. When they replaced the controller for the gauges, they took the coach for a 5 mile ride on the interstate and all was well. The alarm can sound and shut off whether I'm moving or stopped.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
The air gauges don't even move. One is about 75 and the other is a little more. Every time the alarm goes off the first thing I do is to check the air gauges as well as the others...no change. I'm wondering if there might be a loose connection somewhere that makes or breaks a contact when hitting a bump.
That might be a sign of your problem right there. If you're driving, 75 psi is very low for your air (unless you're doing a whole lot of brake pumping). You should be running between 90 and 120-130 or a little higher when your regulator first pops off.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes thats low "normal" air pressure. I'd be more concerned with that, then whatever else maybe (loose pin connector on daisy chain harness behind dash) setting alarm off.
Im in MH AR. Not much for truck or DP coach repair in area. Just sayn
But the fishin good.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
That might be a sign of your problem right there. If you're driving, 75 psi is very low for your air (unless you're doing a whole lot of brake pumping). You should be running between 90 and 120-130 or a little higher when your regulator first pops off.
I made a mistake. It is not 75psi as I wrote from failing memory. The gauge is numbered 0, 75, 150 and the needle was on the hash mark between the 75 and 150 so the air pressure would have been about 112 psi. However it still might be the problem. Just as I pulled into the driveway from my trip to Dayton and parked, the top air gauge went ballistic and now it is not working. All during the trip it read correctly.
At least it did it in my driveway and not on the road. Now I have to bring it in to see what's going on. The lower air gauge looks fine but I'm wondering how it will be to drive the 1.5 miles to the truck stop near me.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I had the same issue with my Monical Windsor. I replaced what’s called a Nason switch under the park brake. Very easy fix and haven’t had a problem since. It has something to do with the air pressure reading. My air pressure was fine but it would still go off intermittently. This took care of it .
Brianpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDK View Post
I made a mistake. It is not 75psi as I wrote from failing memory. The gauge is numbered 0, 75, 150 and the needle was on the hash mark between the 75 and 150 so the air pressure would have been about 112 psi. However it still might be the problem. Just as I pulled into the driveway from my trip to Dayton and parked, the top air gauge went ballistic and now it is not working. All during the trip it read correctly.
At least it did it in my driveway and not on the road. Now I have to bring it in to see what's going on. The lower air gauge looks fine but I'm wondering how it will be to drive the 1.5 miles to the truck stop near me.
Sounds like its an indicator problem and not and actual air pressure problem. You drove it back from Dayton right. Which truck shop, one on 201 north ? I have used Baker Truck repair on 5 south because he's good. But doesn't want to work on RV's much. Good Luck
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote