Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
All Electric coach?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tiffin option called "all electric coach.?" It's an $8,000 option on a 2017 that I'm looking at. Seems like a very expensive option, but maybe it's worth it?

Anyone?
Steve Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lutz View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Tiffin option called "all electric coach.?" It's an $8,000 option on a 2017 that I'm looking at. Seems like a very expensive option, but maybe it's worth it?

Anyone?
We will be receiving an all electric coach in early Sept. Basically I take it to mean that no alternate power source eg. Propane is provided but that all of coach is powered by generator, motor or inverter. You close to ordering?
Shorton787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We debated about the all electric option and decided to go with the propane option instead. Some of the RV parks we frequent are 30 amp only and we would be limited on AC and cooktop usage at the same time.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Quote:

Anyone?

Generally speaking, when you select "all electric" you get more batteries and a larger Genset. The larger Genset is the high ticket item. Sometimes you get a different inverter. The other stuff (residential reefer and electric cooktop) are mostly the same price as propane units.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 AM   #5

The all electric coach loses propane for the stove and refrigerator. Those unit usually use aquahot or similar diesel for heat with maybe heat pumps in the A/C's. That means they are either plugged in or running the generator to cook. The rest of the time they can coast on a large battery bank.

Some people love losing the propane system. The rest of us think it turns the units into lot queens.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The all electric coach loses propane for the stove and refrigerator. Those unit usually use aquahot or similar diesel for heat with maybe heat pumps in the A/C's. That means they are either plugged in or running the generator to cook. The rest of the time they can coast on a large battery bank.

Some people love losing the propane system. The rest of us think it turns the units into lot queens.
I think it's related to RV size .... at 42-45 feet, site length is a limiting factor. I can't use quite a few parks that I once frequented with a 37 ft. So ... most of the locations I fit in are 50 amp. For me, "all electric" is not an issue, it's just different. These days, there are quite a few hybrids (residential reefer and propane cooktop/oven).
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
All Electric coach?

We have a 40QBH all electric coach. It's great not having to mess with the propane. Always had propane units before so this is new to us. Yes, AquaHot diesel AND electric for hot water. The AquaHot heats the water REAL fast so we use it as a supplement to the electric. Residential refrigerator. Induction cooktop. 10,000W generator. 2,000W inverter. Microwave is also a convection oven. More times than not, we've been just fine in our camping ventures. We have had 30 amp only sites, and just have to monitor how we utilize our internal items, but hasn't been an issue. One mod I haven't done yet is add solar, but 1500W solar is in future plans. As someone stated, the 40ft is more a problem. Can't get into many State Parks because of the size. We make do though. This is our very first Motorhome, and so far we're loving it. Hmmm..not even sure what lot queen means. [emoji15]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
All electric has been good for us. We use the AquaHot for hot water when necessary. Have not had any issues when plugging into 30 amp as the power management system works well.

Whether you are propane or all electric you have to run the generator to run air when not plugged in.

Not having the propane means extra storage.

Boon docking is an entirely different matter. For more full time boon docking one would add significant solar and batteries. While boon docking it is fairly easy to run to town with a couple 5 gallon cans and haul diesel or gas back to run the generator. On propane it would require several extra propane bottles.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing I forgot to mention is the electric management system helps tremendously. You can tell it what your shore power is going to be. When we first got it, I ran a heavy extension cord,15A, and forgot to set the limit. It was set to 50A and tried to draw 50A and popped the breaker. I set it down to 15A and then it worked just fine. What it does is selectively "shed" amps throughout the coach. So, when we plug into a 30A site, I just set the management system to say shore power is 30A. Haven't had any issues so far.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #10

It is more an energy question than a coach question. There is 1 -10K onan holding all the energy in one basket, if it goes down, everything goes down. That's the money shot, if it were me I would want 2 of them as a back up. Or a full fueled Honda EU7000i in the basement.30 amps can run only one AC.

A better configuration for energy would be 2 smaller Onan's for redundancy, along with 2- Tesla powerwalls. That would be very redundant.Using the Powerwalls while driving, then using shore/Gen overnight to recharge Powerwalls.

Sorta along the lines of why nice boats have twin outboards, even if you get wounded, at least one generator would bring you home.

Diversifying risk.

Another good question to ask is 3rd redundancy, the coach diesel alternator amperage? is it anywhere near matching coach generator?Be nice if they both did the same at this price point. Even if they had to run twin 500 amp alternators, with that much torque at idle, would it be noticed, I think not.The thing is, lead acid can not take a 1000 amps charge. But a Powerwall can take every bit of those "idle"amps.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
While that sounds expensive, you don't say which model you're looking at. It was an $1100 option on our 2011 Revolution, standard on our present coach.

Most that have all electric will tell you they like it, including us. No more trying to find an LP source we'll fit into, extra storage space and fewer restrictions, especially tunnels that are forbidden to use if equipped with LP.

If you'll be doing a LOT of boondocking perhaps an LP equipped coach might be an advantage. For 90% of us that does not apply. For the rare occasion we boondock our EMS and gen set take good care of us.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:

Anyone?

We have total electric on our 2016 Phaeton and it is worth it to us
Rlmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorton787 View Post
We will be receiving an all electric coach in early Sept. Basically I take it to mean that no alternate power source eg. Propane is provided but that all of coach is powered by generator, motor or inverter. You close to ordering?
We're not ordering but looking on dealer lots around the country. I'm looking at a 40 QBH. The all electric option listed on the factory build out sheet shows it as an $8,000 option.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
All electric has been good for us. We use the AquaHot for hot water when necessary. Have not had any issues when plugging into 30 amp as the power management system works well.

Whether you are propane or all electric you have to run the generator to run air when not plugged in.

Not having the propane means extra storage.

Boon docking is an entirely different matter. For more full time boon docking one would add significant solar and batteries. While boon docking it is fairly easy to run to town with a couple 5 gallon cans and haul diesel or gas back to run the generator. On propane it would require several extra propane bottles.
Gordon:

The coach we're looking at is a 40 QBH. It has an all electric option as well as extended life batteries. The all electric shows on the factory build out sheet as an 8,000 option with the batteries adding 2,300 more. So that electic option is actually about a $10,000 add on.

I know we will be boondocking, but not for extended periods of time. We tailgate at my University football games. In most cases that's going to be 48 to 72 hours living without external power sources. So I would anticipate that the coach diesel would be more than sufficient to power the generator/batteries.

Tags
electric