Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Allegro 32CA

We are considering purchasing an Allegro 32CA and were wondering what owners' thought of their motorhome. The other motorhome we are considering is the Newmar Bay Star 3002. Any comparison would be appreciated.
rossbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi; With no response so far, I'm going to give you my 2 cents: I am a long time Tiffin owner and am loyal to the brand, but both TMH and Newmar make quality products and both companies stand behind their products. We now own and have used often an 04 Tiffin 32 BA, and have been pleased with the floor plan and livability of it. I have a new Tiffin coach on order at this time, but I seriously considered a Newmar also.

That being said, lets compare the the Bay Star 3002 with the Allegro Open Road 32 CA. For the chassis, they are both Ford F-53's, but the Bay Star is on a 20500 chassis and the Tiffin is on a 22000 chassis. Both manufacturers push the CCC weight to the limit so the bigger chassis of the Allegro is a plus. Both are considered "entry level" gas motor homes, but I think that Tiffin has built a product that has gone beyond entry level branding. Consider: for the nearly same price as the Newmar, the Tiffin will come equipped with power front shades, three tv"s, sat dish, 2 furnaces, upgraded microwave,black water cleanout, 7KW generator, leather seats, heat strip in one a/c and many more items.

Like I said, I'm partial to Tiffin but I just checked the website of a Florida dealer who sells both brands. There was a Bay Star 3002 listed for $26,500 and a Tiffin listed at a different Florida dealer with all the options and upgrades for just about the same price. You choose!

Please understand that I am not knocking Newmar. There is a lot of Tiffin vs Newmar bashing posted on this and other forums and this post is not one of them. It is my humble opinion only! You can't go wrong with either company.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Thumbs up Allegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbev View Post
We are considering purchasing an Allegro 32CA and were wondering what owners' thought of their motorhome. The other motorhome we are considering is the Newmar Bay Star 3002. Any comparison would be appreciated.
Purchased 1996 32' Allegro bus diesel pusher--Cummins. 105,000 mi., 11 mpg towing Honda CRV. No slide outs--just coming into vogue back then. Would not even think about purchasing another make. Factory stands behind their product, treats you as a valued customer.
mactripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
Like I said, I'm partial to Tiffin but I just checked the website of a Florida dealer who sells both brands. There was a Bay Star 3002 listed for $26,500 and a Tiffin listed at a different Florida dealer with all the options and upgrades for just about the same price. You choose!

Please understand that I am not knocking Newmar. There is a lot of Tiffin vs Newmar bashing posted on this and other forums and this post is not one of them. It is my humble opinion only! You can't go wrong with either company.

Bob
Are those new? Can you pass me the name of the Florida Dealer with the Newmars and Tiffins for $26,500? That may be a decent investment!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Well, both Newmar and Tiffin make a good product. Tiffin has great after the sale support. There customers seem to be very happy with it. I can't say that Newmar wouldn't but so far been pretty lucky with ours except for a paint issue. Our interior fit and finish is second to none. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
Are those new? Can you pass me the name of the Florida Dealer with the Newmars and Tiffins for $26,500? That may be a decent investment!
I stand corrected.........$126,500.00. Do you still want to know the names of the Florida dealers for the decent investment?
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
I stand corrected.........$126,500.00. Do you still want to know the names of the Florida dealers for the decent investment?
Nah, at $26,500, I'd probably bought one of each, but at $126,500, it's not quite the investment I envisioned!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

My experience with the 32CA and the Bay Star is limited to test drives and some online research but I agree the Tiffin is a better choice, even if you compare it to the Newmar 3302.

I like the floor plan of the 32CA best, but that aside, I'm impressed by the fact that it is the only class A in the 32' range with a 228" wheelbase and 22K load range. All of the others have a 208" or shorter wheelbase and huge rear overhangs. You might not notice the disadvantage of a short wheelbase on a test drive but wait till your in a heavy crosswind, navigating a tight space or driving through a deep gutter. The longer wheelbase may increase the turning radius but I would rather deal with that than the other problems.

Build quality is similar but I give Tiffin the edge in the little design details that make life easier.

Best of luck with your new coach.
jupoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

I too will be purchasing a 32CA 2012 in the near future. The downside to that model is the so called pantry next to the frig. Has any new owner done any mods to theirs? ie: pullouts.

Thanks
jimdebbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #10

I'd call the pantry next to the refrigerator a plus. We use small bins which provides for maximum storage. Works well for us. Biggest addition we made was to insulate the front cap behind the TV and cabinets. Makes a worthwhile difference. Got the optional TV, no driver's door, heat pump, convection microwave, don't need the oven, and added vent covers. Love it.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Design flaw

We liked the 32CA until we closed both pocket doors (if u had company) and tried to enter the the toilet. Door can't open all the way around so your stuck. Try it.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger97 View Post
We liked the 32CA until we closed both pocket doors (if u had company) and tried to enter the the toilet. Door can't open all the way around so your stuck. Try it.

That is a disadvantage that we didn't realize until after the purchase. That being said...still like my 32CA...and we've been able to live with it...but definitely something to avoid when/if we upgrade later.
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi rossbev, welcome to the forum. Good choice either way. Go with the floor plan that bests suits your needs.

Why shut both hall doors before entering the toilet room? I would think the one in front would be sufficient.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Historyljc, I think the bathroom door thing is a problem that the door only swings 70 degrees instead of 180, which means you can't open the door and walk back-and-forth between the bedroom and the bathroom. It's not a problem to come from the bedroom, open the bathroom door, and go in even with the front slide door closed to give you some privacy from your friends up front.

There are many great features of the 32CA that we like, and I would not allow a door issue to make the difference 32CA and the 34TGA.