RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Allegro 36LA electrical questions

a week ago today we got our 2015 allegro 36la. we full time and previously we had a 2009 itasca suncruiser 35p. so while not new to a motorhome, we are new to a tiffin motorhome. please excuse the use of "with the suncruiser, it worked this way, so how does it work with the allegro...

some electrical questions:

1. the suncruiser had a central spot where all the switches and info panel were located. not like this with the allegro, but is there a panel that let’s you know your power? the suncruiser’s panel had read out / info if plugged in to 50 amp / 30 amp / generator / etc. and if plugged in to 30 amp, what the consumption was. so if the dryer was running and the microwave, you could tell at a glance if you dared to plug in something else. i assume there is no way of telling power consumption with the allegro?

2. i do see the read out / info for VOLTS on the read out / info panel in the kitchen area. is that the house battery (batteries) or the chassis battery?

3. there are three electrical wall outlets in the kitchen. i had to reset the gfi as i used an electric freeing pan (plugged in to one of the outlets) and then plugged in to another outlet an induction top to boil some water. i assume that only one thing at a time can be drawing power from anyone of the outlets?

thanks for your help - it is appreciated
cheers,
pdq

pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #2

2014 36LA here. There is not a gauge or meter showing how much amperage that you are using. I missed that also from our previous MH but now don't even miss it. I have always assumed that the displayed voltage is for the House batteries but have never read anything to support that assumption. All the kitchen receptacles are connected to the GFI plug next to the toilet in the rear bath. This is probably a 20 amp circuit but that's just a guess without referencing the manual but an electric skillet draws a lot of amperage, not sure what the induction cooktop draws but you might have just overloaded the circuit. The only time that I recall ours tripping was with a curling iron and hairdryer running in the rear bath and the coffee maker on the kitchen counter. All of these are electricity hogs so we (DW) now pays attention to how much she plugs in at one time.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Order a Kill-O-Watt (I got mine Home Depot.com and they delivered to local store free), and you can measure the actual current being consumed by electrical appliances. My circuit breaker that the GFCI is on is 20A.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

You are correct in that TMH and Winnebago do things differently. My previous coach was a Winnebago DP and my Phaeton is definitely different.

The best way for you to get the AC power consumption info would be to add a surge suppressor that supplies information. The surge function on your transfer switch is basically "no function", so a good surge guard should be on your "short list".

The voltage that you read at your monitor station is house battery voltage. If you have the 2 way rocker switch for that function, it may not be too hard to add your chassis batteries to the display. I did, and it wasn't a big deal.

Tags
electrical