Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Allegro 45OPP 605 HP

Has anyone have any experience with either the 45OPP or the 605HP vs 450HP.
I know the 605 has the more power, but is it needed? We do most of our RVing throughout the west, a lot of mountains.

Currently have a Tuscany with a 450 towing a F150 and have very little problems in the mountains, but the 45OPP will be heavier.
bldski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have owned a 2018 45opp for 18 months and 17,000 miles. Previous coach was a Spartan K3 chassis with a 600 that I put 189,000 miles on, towing a 14000# + stacker it regularly got 6.5 to 7 mpg and towing an Excursion or Explorer it got closer to 8 +. The 450 towing the Explorer gets 6.5 to 7 and I really miss the torque when entering highway on ramps that with the 600, 70 MPH and the 450 gets up to 50 to 55 MPH. Wife really likes the floor plan and closet space in the 45opp. Went with me yesterday to look at a new 45 with 605 and she liked it and oked the trade.
OhioWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We just picked up our 2020 45OPP with the 450 last month. Drove it to WV from WA state to attend the Rally. We've averaged 6.8 mpg towing a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Love the coach. Have heard the 605 loves to stop at fuel stations and drinks a lot of DEF. Through steep inclines we drop to about 42 mph and move over with the truckers to the right lanes.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
No experience with the 450 but we just bought a 45' Zephyr 45 OZ with the 600HP Cummins, had it weighed and it's 45,800 lbs. I haven't done the really big mountains like out west yet but have routinely done a lot of 6-9% grades here in the east and haven't had any issues. The MH takes these hills very well, rarely if ever losing speed and I can actually accelerate uphill, even while towing our Ford Focus. We go down to Cherokee, NC a lot, there's a 6 mile stretch all the way going downhill into Cherokee from Maggie Valley, using the engine brake on LOW, I have to speed up every now and then when descending the 7% grade, I usually barely hit the brakes one or two times in that run and only because there are some sharp, 30MPH curves. Going uphill, the MH clicks along at 1200 rpm's, never losing speed and with normal throttle. The only hill I've lost speed on was a long, uphill stretch of about 3 miles and 6% with decent curves where you had to slow down anyway, but I was still passing the truckers. I routinely get 7.5 to almost 8MPG while towing and I have a mileage computer that tracks MPG all the time and it's reading 7.2 MPG overall. I bought the Focus (weighs about 3,000 Lbs.) because my previous MH was a gasser, and even though it had an 8,000# tow rating, I knew it would struggle with something larger. I plan on selling it and towing my F150 4WD (weighs 6,055 lbs.) because this MH has a 15,000# tow rating and should handle the additional weight with no problem. I love the power and am satisfied with the MPG I'm getting so far. Coincidentally, I was only getting 6-6.5 MPG out of the gasser so doing the math, I'm spending approx. $30 more for fuel and about $11 for DEF (total of $44) over 1,000 miles which isn't significant (to me). Sure, maintenance overall will be more but if that's an issue then a popup would be a better option! I think you'll be more happy with the 605 HP IMHO, especially in those mountains you live near.

Oh and regarding DEF usage, I use about a gallon every 250-300 miles, I haven't "exactly" tracked it but that's what I've roughly calculated.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro Bus 37AP

I have an Allegro Bus 37AP with the Power Glide chassis weighing in at about 36,500 lbs. It has the 450 HP ISL engine. This is the largest and heaviest RV I've owned.

I tow a Jeep Cherokee and I'm getting about 7.5 MPG, but I"m an exceptionally conservative driver. Here in California the speed limit is 55 when towing... I drive 59-61 just so I get into 6th gear. I use 1 gal DEF for every 47 gals of diesel. I expected more power and better mileage with the 450 HP than I'm getting.

My prior RV was a 26,000 lb Fleetwood Excursion with a 300 HP Cummins. I averaged about 10.8 MPG, computed based on the fuel I pumped. Power on hills was about the same as the 450.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Had a 2018 45OPP with 450hp but have sold it. I previously had a 40 ft Phaeton with 380hp. The Bus had no where near as much get up and go as the Phaeton. If I have another 45ft motorhome it will have more hp. Best to get out and drive them both if you can.

450hp in Florida is fine but 450hp in the mountains is a drag.

People will give you all kinds of numbers for fuel use but it is very dependent on speed and terrain. Both my 208 Bus and 2013 Phaeton got 7mpg +/-. Calculated and not by computer but I drove 65 - 70mph pulling a 5000# towed. The 150 gallon diesel capacity on the Bus is very handy
Larryrb100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro