Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Allegro Bus 2006 Happy with it?

We are seriously considering purchasing a 2006 Alegro Bus 40QDP. If you have owned one or currently own a 2006 please share your opinions of it? Is it a pleasure to drive? Assuming that the rig is not overloaded and fairly balanced on all fours...How comfortable is the ride....are the driver seats and passenger seats still comfortable after a long day on the road? Is it fairly quiet rolling down the road...easy to hold on the road in side winds...big trucks passing?...what speed can you maintain climbing a mtn grade of say 6% towing say a CRV..and still have enough throttle to pass a slightly slower rig..how bout descending the grades? On a 6% for 7 miles downgrade will the engine braking system hold the rig around 55 or so without heating up the brakes? Anyone know of serious problems or recalls? Any problems with leaks in the slides in heavy rains? When its cold outside...does the front cockpit to keep you comfortable and the windscreen defrosted while rolling down the road. Are you happy with the level of quality of the of the fit and finish of the interior overall? Would you recc one to your best buddy? Looking forward to reading about how you like or love your 2006 Alegro Bus! They are gorgeous to look at! thanks so much for sharing!
Pusherdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Go over to the tiffinrvnetwork.com for good Tiffin owners info.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherdiva View Post
We are seriously considering purchasing a 2006 Alegro Bus 40QDP. If you have owned one or currently own a 2006 please share your opinions of it? Is it a pleasure to drive? Assuming that the rig is not overloaded and fairly balanced on all fours...How comfortable is the ride....are the driver seats and passenger seats still comfortable after a long day on the road? Is it fairly quiet rolling down the road...easy to hold on the road in side winds...big trucks passing?...what speed can you maintain climbing a mtn grade of say 6% towing say a CRV..and still have enough throttle to pass a slightly slower rig..how bout descending the grades? On a 6% for 7 miles downgrade will the engine braking system hold the rig around 55 or so without heating up the brakes? Anyone know of serious problems or recalls? Any problems with leaks in the slides in heavy rains? When its cold outside...does the front cockpit to keep you comfortable and the windscreen defrosted while rolling down the road. Are you happy with the level of quality of the of the fit and finish of the interior overall? Would you recc one to your best buddy? Looking forward to reading about how you like or love your 2006 Alegro Bus! They are gorgeous to look at! thanks so much for sharing!
We have a 2005 Allegro Bus same engine has a 2006 . You can go down a 6% grade and never touch the service brakes. It has a 2 stage Jake brake.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Currently aboard an '06 Bus, 38', w/ 2 slides, purchased new and full timer since
2010. This is my first RV and would buy another because of Tiffin reputation, which they have lived up to. Answering all of your concerns with a few words - I have been personally pleased with all concerns you mentioned. My only peeve is that I have had a minor problem or two with products from outside suppliers, Fridg, toilet, awning, vacuum, heat pumps. But the coach and the 400hp Cummins are great. I have offered to buy my wife a new Zephyr but she likes this one better. (thank God!) There has been a recall which Tiffin made 100% good on. The floor in the "wet bay" was rotted out, but as I said Tiffin stood by his product, 100%+
dunkindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 also which basically if it was the same color you would not know the difference between them. I pull A 4800 pound buick enclave. The coach has no problem at all pulling it. I do not have trouble going up steep grades. During the summer I have a lot of power to pull the grades but have to downshift to keep engine rpms up to help with engine cooling. I find that frustrating because without that problems I would cruise up hills with no problem. It is not a power problem and I understand that there were some changes made to the 2006 to help with engine cooling.

Engine breaking does not do anything with vehicle breaks. So to answer your question steep downhill grades will not affect the air brakes. The engine break is fantastic. i went to Yosemite park last summer we stayed at a campground that was at 4000 feet. The mountain going up to it was a very steep grade and mile after mile of switchbacks. Going down it I idled down. Never touched the brakes to slow down. I pulled off at every area big enough to pull off and allowed traffic to go around and then just pulled out on the road and kept on idling. It was very comfortable going down that mountain and it was probably as steep as I will ever drive on.

the ride is unbelievable. Before the DP we had a fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton silverado diesel. The ride in the DP is a lot more comfortable. Noise level is relatively quiet. once in a while we will not have something packed right and it might bang a little bit. When that happens first stop we make we fix it and it is nice and quiet. My wife and I can talk comfortably on the trip. While driving sometimes we will listen to NPR radio or a book and we do not have trouble hearing those. The ride for the passenger with the recliner is the ultimate comfort.

You are going to have some wind issues. You are driving an 8 ft wide 13 foot high vehicle. I test drove some class c units before I bought the bus and there is no comparison to how much easier it is to drive the DP in high winds. If it is very windy I have to be on the alert for it but not enough to be a real issue. As far as driving goes. I only drive about 8 hours a day. Not because I am tired after that amount of time. I bought the bus to see the beautiful country I live in and I cannot see it at night. I can drive my enclave on a trip or my silverado on a trip and be more tired than I am driving the bus. It is nice and easy to drive.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkindon View Post
Currently aboard an '06 Bus, 38', w/ 2 slides, purchased new and full timer since
2010. This is my first RV and would buy another because of Tiffin reputation, which they have lived up to. Answering all of your concerns with a few words - I have been personally pleased with all concerns you mentioned. My only peeve is that I have had a minor problem or two with products from outside suppliers, Fridg, toilet, awning, vacuum, heat pumps. But the coach and the 400hp Cummins are great. I have offered to buy my wife a new Zephyr but she likes this one better. (thank God!) There has been a recall which Tiffin made 100% good on. The floor in the "wet bay" was rotted out, but as I said Tiffin stood by his product, 100%+
your "wife" like,s a old 2 slide allegro bus BETTER than a 2014 Zepher??
I find that story very hard to beleive
I have a 2008 Allegro Bus and basically find it OK.Its a sparton IFS and drives very well.425 ISL is ok for power(can always use more)Tiffin has been reasonable to deal with,There have been some manufacturing screw ups that I had to deal with and in some cases they have helped out.I have the front kitchen design and the passenger slide floor was built too light and not enough rollers and it sunk on one end.Only 3 rollers and went to 5 rollers in 09
I have customized my unit via redoing under kitchen sink(now have twice as much storage) Installed marble front entrance steps(eliminate the ugly black rubber)eliminating the waste of space laundry bin,+ installed shelves,Redid the front coffe cup holder/storage area.Installed hardwood floor in slide out.Redid the entire bedroom floor + engine cover and installed vinyl planking and proper engine cover hold downs and lift bracket,s.resealed awning over door way and extended the roof drain so it quit draining all over you when u open main door after a shower
Installed a 50+ HP mini ecm add on that regulates fuel pressure
Have ordered the HT slide motor for the driver side slide as its barely able to open close with standard unit.The 2 stage engine brake is a big big help verses the exhaust brake on my last one and the IFS suspention system rides and steers great.Very easy to control if encountering heavy side winds etc. Seats are very comfortable and the smart wheel is a must and I like the ajusttable brake and gas pedal.
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0120 View Post
We have a 2005 Allegro Bus same engine has a 2006 . You can go down a 6% grade and never touch the service brakes. It has a 2 stage Jake brake.
that's very subjective as it depends on the speed you hit at start of going down and what speed u want to maintain.(eg) if u start down hill at 50MPH u may be able to do so depending how long the hill is.If u hit the hill at 70
u will need a little air brake to get to a comfortable level before engine brake will take over entirely
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

We love our 06 Bus 40 QSP. You do need to check your serial number for a bulletin on the wrist pin recall. Most engine failures happened in delivery but some as late as 80K miles. Cummins has a good reputation for repairing them but they don't get in a hurry. Mine failed at 24K. The range is early 06 engines.
KaptnKluck is offline   Reply With Quote