Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2020, 10:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Allegro Bus 43QRP LED Ceiling lights

In the 2009 Allegro Bus 43QRP, does anyone know what the original ceiling lights were? Incandescent, halogen, or LED? I bought the coach used, and am not sure what the original lighting was.

Recently, I decided to get rid of the "warm" LED lights that are currently in our ceiling fixtures. I went with some super white 6000K LEDs from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P8YXZFZ/

The bulbs were ever-so-slightly larger around (30mm) than the old ones (29mm), but they fit. However, they started burning out around a month after purchased, and about 24 of the 30 are now dead.

The seller says:
"Very very important! This bulb can be ONLY used for LED 12V(AC12V and DC12V) lighting appliance. Please note that these bulbs are non-dimmable, please don't use them with dimmer or unstable 12 volts(such as halogen transformer, electronic power supply, halogen power supply), or the bulbs will flicker or make noise and then quick broken. We always suggest using LED power supply or LED transformer to connect LED bulbs."

I have no idea why the new bulbs aren't lasting, unless they are just cheap junk from China (Jenyolon), or if there is some sort of unusual power supply in the RV due to original lighting? Before I buy any more, I would appreciate any feedback this group can give me.

Voltage is stable when I measure at the bulb base, I see voltages like 13.89~13.91.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #2

Depending on what the source of DC on your electrical system, you might see anywhere between 12.0V or so, to 13.8V or so. Remember you could be seeing power from your inverter, RV engine generator, the RV power generator, or even a solar array. Punch on the microwave or the air conditioners and even though they are AC powered, your DC voltage will bounce until things stabilize. RV's definitely do NOT have a stable DC power supply to their circuits.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Depending on what the source of DC on your electrical system, you might see anywhere between 12.0V or so, to 13.8V or so. Remember you could be seeing power from your inverter, RV engine generator, the RV power generator, or even a solar array. Punch on the microwave or the air conditioners and even though they are AC powered, your DC voltage will bounce until things stabilize. RV's definitely do NOT have a stable DC power supply to their circuits.
I stay plugged in to shore power 99.9% of the time. Not sure if the 12v power comes from the inverter (most likely) or the batteries while plugged in. But still, 0.03~0.04v fluctuation is pretty stable.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
I stay plugged in to shore power 99.9% of the time. Not sure if the 12v power comes from the inverter (most likely) or the batteries while plugged in. But still, 0.03~0.04v fluctuation is pretty stable.
you drive from place to place, you stop for fuel, food or pit stops, you have internal surges as your electrical service responds to load changing and your line input voltages will change depending on what's feeding the park, pedestals and the line input. These surges may be for microseconds, seconds, minutes or even hours. Solar chargers vary input depending on what controller you use and how/where you have it hooked up. You've seen the results of these fluctuations by how many LED's you've already lost. Whatever you buy, look at the specs closely and pick those with an input spread, or that say they are specifically rated for automotive use. The cheapest isn't always the best.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
you drive from place to place, you stop for fuel, food or pit stops, you have internal surges as your electrical service responds to load changing and your line input voltages will change depending on what's feeding the park, pedestals and the line input. These surges may be for microseconds, seconds, minutes or even hours. Solar chargers vary input depending on what controller you use and how/where you have it hooked up. You've seen the results of these fluctuations by how many LED's you've already lost. Whatever you buy, look at the specs closely and pick those with an input spread, or that say they are specifically rated for automotive use. The cheapest isn't always the best.
All true, but as I said, my MH stays parked most of the time (as in I have moved it exactly twice in the past 12 months).

ALL LEDs and electronic devices have input ranges, that's pretty normal. I'm hoping this is simply an issue of buying cheap Chinese junk LEDs. Considering that the "less dim" or "warmer" LEDs that have been in the coach for over 4 years now and I never lost one, I am leaning towards a bad batch of LEDs. I am asking the company to replace them, and we shall see what happens when they arrive. If the problem repeats itself, I will find another brand.

In fact, now that I am typing this, I think I will go ahead and buy another brand anyway, and install them side-by-side as a control to test longevity.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2007 bus went through the lamps regularly. I was hoping that after changing them all out to led's that they would not flicker like the halogens did. It appears that I should have been buying the ones that were dimmable because I had to replace more of them than what I thought I should have. Other thing I noticed was that even ordering the "same" lamps from the same vendor on ebay, the lights were not the same color. Whatever. The price made the difference. Basically just a bit over a $1 each. A little more it you get the warranty.
Our 2010 43 QGP bus does not seem to have the same problem so far. I have had to change out a couple of the lights but I have stopped caring if the color is not the same so long as they are bright.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipkts2010 View Post
Our 2007 bus went through the lamps regularly. I was hoping that after changing them all out to led's that they would not flicker like the halogens did. It appears that I should have been buying the ones that were dimmable because I had to replace more of them than what I thought I should have. Other thing I noticed was that even ordering the "same" lamps from the same vendor on ebay, the lights were not the same color. Whatever. The price made the difference. Basically just a bit over a $1 each. A little more it you get the warranty.
Our 2010 43 QGP bus does not seem to have the same problem so far. I have had to change out a couple of the lights but I have stopped caring if the color is not the same so long as they are bright.
Do you happen to have the link to the bulbs you ordered?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
led link

Here is the description I used in ebay. These are the last ones I show that I purchased in Dec 2017.

20 X Pure White G4 Disc 24SMD LED RV Marine Boat Camper Car Home Light Bulb Lamp

I got 20 for 12.99 shipped free.

So far, they are lasting. I must have used some of them in the 07 bus and have used a couple in the 2010.

These are in-between "warm" and super white. This bus has a real mixture of some warm, some blue/white some other. I personally would rather they all be the same but as touchy as the globes are, I have decided to just leave them until they die and I have to replace.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipkts2010 View Post
Here is the description I used in ebay. These are the last ones I show that I purchased in Dec 2017.

20 X Pure White G4 Disc 24SMD LED RV Marine Boat Camper Car Home Light Bulb Lamp

I got 20 for 12.99 shipped free.

So far, they are lasting. I must have used some of them in the 07 bus and have used a couple in the 2010.

These are in-between "warm" and super white. This bus has a real mixture of some warm, some blue/white some other. I personally would rather they all be the same but as touchy as the globes are, I have decided to just leave them until they die and I have to replace.
Thank you, I found these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-Pure-Wh...IAAOSw2s1cmInF

And you're happy with them? I just ordered two other brands on Amazon last night to try. I think I will order these as well and try all three brands at once.

Appreciate the assistance!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
led lamps part two

Looking back at orders, the link I provided are the ones I am happy with. The previous order, many of them went out quickly and I tossed the remaining lamps. They were too "warm" for me.
I hope the ones you got from Amazon work out for you.
I am thinking I may get the dimmable lamps for my next order just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced all my lights on our 2011 Bus with Cabin Bright

Joe is the owner with and electrical background. His LED’s are NOT made in China. If I remember correctly his lights are made by the same people who manufacture BMV lighting.

Joe is very knowledgeable and great customer service.

Cabin Bright has the Winnebago account and also a couple of boat manufacturers.

https://www.cabinbright.com/

Joe will walk you thru the process of any specific lighting your looking for.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, allegro bus, ceiling, led, light, lights