Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

allegro bus battery question

I have two questions. My bus has a master disconnect for my house batteries which I turn off all the time when storing. The house batteries still prematurely drain and I am wondering/thinking it is the Xantrex connection connected into my 4 6v bank of house batteries. When I disconnected the first positive cable manually and the last negative cable manually and also the xantrex connection they did not drain. Any thoughts?

Secondly, I have a master on/off switch in my diesel engine compartment. When I switch that off what is that doing? I also would like to know if I should be disconnecting the 2 engine batteries as well or is this engine switch doing that? Is there ANY load on the engine batteries while in storage like co2 monitor/etc. or is everything on the coach connected to the house batteries. thanks so much
Quincybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
The master disconnect for the house batteries still allows the Xantrex inverter to draw, I believe that is where your discharge is coming from. Shut off the inverter also. Or, disconnecting the negative cable from the first battery will accomplish the same thing, that opens the circuit. No need to also disconnect the positive.

The master engine battery will open the start battery circuit, there should be no other draws.

However, on a previously owned coach someone may have changed/added to the wiring, and there might be a small draw, perhaps added audio equipment or a trickle charger.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, inverter is still connected with house disconnect enabled.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
So, you have the house battery part figured out. If you use the main battery disconnect there is also still power being tapped for the entry steps and engine/transmission sensors. I prefer to just keep my rig plugged in all the time so the house batteries and starting batteries float charge. I keep my basement refer on all the time and the most draw I ever see from my surge protector is 2amps. That doesn't cost hardly anything in a month and I never have to worry about getting into a dead rig.

Batteries are expensive to replace. I keep my boat and mower always plugged in for that very reason. Charged batteries have a much longer life.
skeet4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #5

final point of clarification

thanks kent and vince. One final question. On your advice Kent, you said disconnect the first negative in the series of the 4 batteries and that will "open the loop". The Xantrex is on the positive post on the second battery of the 4 batteries that are in series, so will disconnecting the first battery negative cable disable that and not allow the Xantrex to draw any current. Thanks so much, I would prefer to do it at the battery than turning off the inverter but not sure how these electrical things work.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
thanks kent and vince. One final question. On your advice Kent, you said disconnect the first negative in the series of the 4 batteries and that will "open the loop". The Xantrex is on the positive post on the second battery of the 4 batteries that are in series, so will disconnecting the first battery negative cable disable that and not allow the Xantrex to draw any current. Thanks so much, I would prefer to do it at the battery than turning off the inverter but not sure how these electrical things work.
By disconnecting the first ground cable you’re effectively removing the source of all the 12 volt ground in the MH, nothing 12 volt will work.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
Send a picture of your batteries.

If you have 4 batteries, they are not all in series. With 6 volt batteries, there will be 2 sets of 2 in series. The 2 sets will then be in parallel.

You may actually have 2 negative cables going to ground.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

picture of battery setup

I have never attached a picture before so hopefully this goes ok. This is a drawing of my house battery set up. Red or black is the color of the cable, one is half red and half black. the master (+) is where the first red wire comes into the battery compartment and the master (-) is where the first black cable enters the battery compartment, the black line comes in where the red one does but goes all the way around the back of all 4 batteries before it connects to the far one. The Xantrex is where my inverter/charger is attached and shares a (+) terminal. thanks so much, this is so helpful. it says the picture is attached, I hope so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery image1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	187876  
Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

The way its wired works but the standard way should be wired like this. It will balance the batteries better.

Remove the cables with Xs and run them like the gray ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-05-22-30-09.png
Views:	120
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	187886  
Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #10

One more change.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-05-22-33-03.png
Views:	244
Size:	547.8 KB
ID:	187887  
Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #11

series

Thanks twinboat, is the way you suggest now arranging them so that they are hooked up in series and not parrallel ? If they are in series I can just unhook the first negative as suggested earlier to disable the batteries but more importantly the xantrex charger per earlier posts. thx again
Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #12

What you are creating is two 12 volt batteries, by connecting 2, 6 volt batteries in series.

Then connecting the 2 series sets in parallel.

If you remove the cable marked " Master ( - ) ", all power will be stopped.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #13

final questions

Thank you all. just a few last simple questions.
1.In this configuration that I will be switching to which positive post should I hook my Xantrex charger/inverter to?

2. I have a solar charger on my roof but fortunately for the coach and unfortunate for the batteries I have completely under cover storage so no sun. Is there a small solar charger that I can put on the roof of my storage unit and run to the battery bank to always be charging them. Plenty of sun here in florida.

3. just curious, why don't people just use 2-12volt batteries instead of 4-6volt? I'm assuming that maybe it's more efficient?

This has been a tremendous help, thanks again to all these great contributors
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #14

1, leave it the way it is.

2, you can pick up a 50 to 100 watt panel and cheap controller to maintain the batteries.

3, - 6 volt batteries have a bit more capacity per $ and are actually deep cycle. Most 12 volt, less expensive deep cycle batteries, are a cranking/deep cycle design. Good for both things but will not last as long in deep cycle use.

Tags
allegro, battery